Blaziken?

Empoleon/Terrakion has one several BR near me, and took both first and third at one of them, so sue me for thinking it wasn't bad :/
Sure, Blaziken can OHKO Empoleon with a plus power, but Blaziken also is OHKOed and doesn't have built in draw power. Empoleon also equires a single energy and can kill any kind of support Blaziken has. In addition, Terrakion OHKOs Zekrom, so it really isn't that great of a tech, at least, not good enough to give you a good matchup, or an even matchup. Relying on the opponent to hit you in order to hit them isn't the best way to go, especially while Catcher is in the format.

Nothing. And that's the point. You don't have a real counter. And that's why I don't think the deck will succeed. But if you really don't have many Empoleons around, it might not be much of a problem.

Unless something drastically changed at League, my League has no Empoleon players.

9Tailz said:
You can probably run plain Zekrom to Outrage and deal with Empoleon. And Blaziken does 1HKO Empoleon with a Plus Power. Blaziken also 1-shots Terrakion.

But its easier to get a plus power on a dragon than set up a stage 2.

alexmf2 said:
Guys, Empoleon is not why Blaziken is bad.

To be honest... if you think Blaziken is bad and should not be considered being played, then why you still post in this thread? You already said that Blaziken and all Stage 2 aren't playable, if that's your opinion okay you are allowed to have your own opinion it's fine.
But please don't try over 4 pages to stop them from making a deck with it.
That's the nice thing on playing Pokémon: everyone can decide what he wants to play, even if it seems to be unplayable. That's the way new decks are invented and that's the reason why we still have different decks on tournaments.
Oh and to call every deck that doesn't rely on expensive EX's isn't nice, simply because there are people who can't buy a set of Darkrai EX for 200+ $

but now back to topic:
I think that Blaziken can be Tier 2 after rotation. The format will have slowed down enough that a deck with two stage two's will be slow but not unplayable. Empoleon seems to be a problem though, you could probably tech in Rayquaza EX if you already chose Emboar as partner. Just test a little bit more and you will find a way to make it work.

Please post a scan of the Blaziken because of Competitive Collective rule 2. Thanks. :]

JuStuPro said:
To be honest... if you think Blaziken is bad and should not be considered being played, then why you still post in this thread? You already said that Blaziken and all Stage 2 aren't playable, if that's your opinion okay you are allowed to have your own opinion it's fine.
But please don't try over 4 pages to stop them from making a deck with it.
That's the nice thing on playing Pokémon: everyone can decide what he wants to play, even if it seems to be unplayable. That's the way new decks are invented and that's the reason why we still have different decks on tournaments.
Oh and to call every deck that doesn't rely on expensive EX's isn't nice, simply because there are people who can't buy a set of Darkrai EX for 200+ $

Because the OP asks if people think it's viable.

alexmf2 said:
Because the OP asks if people think it's viable.

One Post would still have been enough ^^

However, wouldn't it be possible to put Virizion NVI in there together with Blend Energy RGPD?
It can take a hit from Empoleon, is an okay starter and might give you the time to set up by just not getting OHKOed. Just an not tested idea but it might work...

JuStuPro said:
One Post would still have been enough ^^

However, wouldn't it be possible to put Virizion NVI in there together with Blend Energy RGPD?
It can take a hit from Empoleon, is an okay starter and might give you the time to set up by just not getting OHKOed. Just an not tested idea but it might work...

Uh...Virizion 3HKOs Empoleon, 2HKO with PlusPower. Empoleon 2HKOs Virizion, 1HKOs with PlusPower/Aerodactyl. Just run PlusPower and you're trading KOs, really.

It could be paired with victini (victory star) and volcerona, but entei would do blaziken's job better.

Blaziken is generally 2HKO'ed by EXs, while it 2KHO's them back. The only exceptions are Mewtwo if it has enough Energy, Reshiram (which no one except me plays), Zekrom (which is only occasionally seen in ZekEels), and Rayquaza. It can one-shot Shaymin, but that doesn't see a huge amount of play anyway. If played well, Blaziken can tip the prize trade in your favor against EXs. When paired with Emboar, it can just keep the Energy flowing. Yes, it's a Stage 2, but when the sets is rotated, the format slows down and gives Stage 2s a bigger chance to set up. You will probably lose a few prizes in the beginning when you have your Torchic and whatever else you're playing it with out. That's why you would run multiple. This is why I'm not entirely sure why the majority of people posting here think Blaziken sucks.

9Tailz said:
Blaziken is generally 2HKO'ed by EXs, while it 2KHO's them back. The only exceptions are Mewtwo if it has enough Energy, Reshiram (which no one except me plays), Zekrom (which is only occasionally seen in ZekEels), and Rayquaza. It can one-shot Shaymin, but that doesn't see a huge amount of play anyway. If played well, Blaziken can tip the prize trade in your favor against EXs. When paired with Emboar, it can just keep the Energy flowing. Yes, it's a Stage 2, but when the sets is rotated, the format slows down and gives Stage 2s a bigger chance to set up. You will probably lose a few prizes in the beginning when you have your Torchic and whatever else you're playing it with out. That's why you would run multiple. This is why I'm not entirely sure why the majority of people posting here think Blaziken sucks.

Because it's still a Stage 2 that needs 3 energies as well as an extra attachment every turn after it attacks, that also probably needs another Stage 2 in order to function, which, even in the next format which is a bit slower, is still too slow to win the prize race. Also, there are so many more options for 2HKOing EX's while not being OHKO'ed back that there's no point in running Blaziken.

With Emboar, if it gets set up successfully you can have a Blaziken charged by turn 2, and start another one if you can get the energy.

alexmf2 said:
No, Empoleon is bad. It's way too slow and it doesn't have a very good damage output. It's tier 2 at the very best.

It is tier 2 or 1.5, but it is actually really fast. Only one person in our area plays it, but he manages to do very good.

9Tailz said:
With Emboar, if it gets set up successfully you can have a Blaziken charged by turn 2, and start another one if you can get the energy.

It is rare to get two stage 2's in play T2 with 3 energies. I t is even harder to get two stage 2's in play in the BW- on format

9Tailz said:

Let's be realistic. How often are you going to get a Torchic, Blaziken, Tepig, Emboar, two Rare Candy, and three Fire Energy by the second turn of the game. Getting a T2 loaded Reshiram was even quite a feat in Reshiboar.

9Tailz said:
Blaziken is generally 2HKO'ed by EXs, while it 2KHO's them back.

Congrats, now you have to setup another one.

9Tailz said:
If played well, Blaziken can tip the prize trade in your favor against EXs.

If anything is played well, any deck can tip the prize trade in the player's favor. Blaziken has a considerably harder time than decks like ZekEels or Empoleon (pre-rotation) and Garchomp (post-rotation) due to it requiring more setup and doesn't have the built-in consistency that the other decks have.

9Tailz said:
When paired with Emboar, it can just keep the Energy flowing.

Hello Reshiboar, which is virtually the same deck that requires less setup. Yet it sees little-to-no play pre/post rotation.

9Tailz said:
Yes, it's a Stage 2, but when the sets is rotated, the format slows down and gives Stage 2s a bigger chance to set up.

Please look at the facts before you post. The most successful and common Stage 2 decks post-rotation are Hydreigon and Garchomp. Hydregion is able to deny prizes due to Max Potion, and can setup much more quickly due Sableye (which can recycle Dark Patches, Ultra Balls, Random Receivers, etc). Garchomp has a built in search engine with Gabite and Emolga, which allows it to very easily get going by T2, and even have a complete setup by T3 (all results I found from my testing). Blaziken/Emboar has no built in consistency aside from Energy acceleration, which doesn't help it setup.

9Tailz said:
That's why you would run multiple.

... Why wouldn't you run multiple Basic Pokemon for your Stage-2 attacker?

Back