Best LCQ Deck

Luckygirl0616

Aspiring Trainer
I am curious as to what some of you guys think will be the deck to have the best chance to make it through the LCQ and into Worlds. There is a lot of talk about TDK doing well, but is that all that has a significant chance of making it in?
What are your thoughts?

Plasma is probably the best for the grinder as it has no real autolosses. Keldeo has a hard time against Plasma, Goth is inconsistent, Darkrai is just not as fast as it was, Klinkling dies against Goth and Landorus has been dead for a long time. And Garbodor is also not that good.

I suggest you consider playing a Garbodor variant. Consider too running it with Landorus (still quite viable), Cobalion EX, and Mewtwo EX.

Gusto83 said:
Blui said:
Darkrai is just not as fast as it was.

I think Scoop Up Cyclone will help Darkrai-ex.

Here is the long set up:
Darkrai takes damage,use Scoop Up Cyclone onto darkrai,put Sableye as active,place Darkrai onto bench,put 1 energy back onto darkrai and ultra ball the other two energies. Then,Dark patch the two energies back onto darkrai. Use sableye to get Scoop Up Cyclone back along with ultra ball. Repeat

No.

SSU in a deck that can only accelerate energy from the discard pile? No Computer Search in a speed deck? Your strategy means getting a Sableye active every other turn. That's a terrible idea.

Why are you talking about SSU anyway? Plasma Blast isn't legal for the LCQ.

Plasma is probably your best bet; its fast, consistent, and has no autolosses.

Goth counters will be more at Worlds than LCQ. LCQ decks can't be too techy. I'd use goth for lcq.

I'm going to completely ignore that Scoop Up Cyclone is illegal for Worlds and will cut straight to the point.

In addition to what others have said, I feel that a Klinklang list (either PlasmaKlang or Gear Shift, or even a hybrid mix) would do rather well. PlasmaKlang is incredibly useful, since a lot of attackers in this metagame are EX, with only things like Absol or Kyurem being exceptions, and even then, the main attacker, Cobalion EX, can take care of them rather nicely - Steel Bullet is an OHKO, and Righteous Edge keeps knocking off Special Energy. (I'm aware Raiden Knuckle can get it back, but it costs the PlasmaBox player a turn.)

And of course, Gear Shift just has a ton of toys at its disposal, being able to utilize Landorus, Keldeo, and Darkrai as well.

Sablelock
Plasma is the best deck. Garbodor and PlasmaKlang are decent, but Plasma is the best for this sort of thing. Blastoise and Goth can have consistency issues, and Darkrai is not as good as it used to be. Honestly, the LCQ is a crapshoot (extremely random) so I'd just play what works for you (hence the first line.)

DNA said:
I'm going to completely ignore that Scoop Up Cyclone is illegal for Worlds and will cut straight to the point.

In addition to what others have said, I feel that a Klinklang list (either PlasmaKlang or Gear Shift, or even a hybrid mix) would do rather well. PlasmaKlang is incredibly useful, since a lot of attackers in this metagame are EX, with only things like Absol or Kyurem being exceptions, and even then, the main attacker, Cobalion EX, can take care of them rather nicely - Steel Bullet is an OHKO, and Righteous Edge keeps knocking off Special Energy. (I'm aware Raiden Knuckle can get it back, but it costs the PlasmaBox player a turn.)

And of course, Gear Shift just has a ton of toys at its disposal, being able to utilize Landorus, Keldeo, and Darkrai as well.

The problem is, run into Goth, you're out.

If you have 6P Underground, Mike Diaz has a great article on why Darkrai and Gothitelle are the best decks for the LCQ and I'd agree with him. A Darkrai list teched for Plasma would probably be my best choice.

Hmm, all right, that's understandable. I can see why that would make the most sense.

A big issue in the LCQ though is it's single elimination after a best 2 out of 3 game against your opponent. With Klinklang, or Goth, or Blastoise you risk the donk, setting you back one game. A basic with 60 HP or less has a chance of being OHKO'd on your opponents first turn. With laser and Virbank you opponent only has to do 30 more damage to KO a 60 HP pokemon. Couldn't Big Basics be a good deck to run for LCQ seeing as donking isn't an option against it?

^Not getting donked only goes so far when you lose the games that actually get played out.

Any of the "big 4" decks (Darkrai, Gothitelle, Blastoise, Plasma) could get in. A lot of it depends on what matchups you play against. Even stuff like Eelektrik and Klinklang has a shot, again depending on matchups. Because so much of the format is matchup based you should just pick a deck that you're comfortable with and that doesn't have too many bad matchups (no autolosses, ideally). Then just hope to draw well and avoid your bad matchups.

If someone wants to run my 9th place Nationals list for the LCQ, just pm me.

I think Darkrai is play this format. The foreign players are all playing Plasma and it can actually play a decent game against Gothitelle with 2 Keldeo EX.

The primary issue with Darkrai is Blastoise (and that the Plasma matchup isn't like THAT good but it's good enough). If Plasma and Gothitelle are truly going to be the most popular, than Darkrai is fantastic, but that's an extremely difficult choice to make when you can't be sure Blastoise won't see play in the LCQ.

...which is partially why I think the choice of what to play in the LCQ is an impossible one. The fact that if you hit one bad matchup you're just out of the tournament makes pretty much every deck a bad play to an extent. I really think it's a guessing game of what other people will play, and just hope that you can get lucky against a bad matchup if you play it.

Play Quad Keldeo EX and pray you face Goth all day XD

In all seriousness, Darkrai is probably the most consistent play imo, because it has decently winable matchups against 3 of the four most popular decks. Blastoise is an issue, but it is possible to win if you get lucky, or simply avoid it.

If you are using this as a reference, it should be noted that several Canadian players are running Blastoise due to the fact that French Beaches cost very little and are legal for them to use.

Blastoise is very inconsistent compared to the rest of the decks, but it doesnt have any bad matchups par klinklang and garbodor. Darkrai is probably the best choice but it should be noted that Darkrai is one of the most if not the most skill intensive deck in the format. If your confortable with your skill level and ready for most of your matches to go down to the wire, Darkraibis a very solid play. You just have to be good enough to play it.

Every deck now has a bad matchup that you would want to avoid anyway. It's just down to luck whether you will get paired to them or not. Just play a good deck with a consistent list that you have mastery of. Live and die with the luck of the pairings.

Back