Pokemon Are the Unowns considered different forms?

nvrBungeeJumped

I think I'm evil!
So I was wondering about what defines different forms in Pokemon. Are the Unknown all considered to be a different from of the same Pokemon even though they cannot change into other letters/symbols.

RE: Are unknows considered different forms?

Pokédex number. Unown is only one Pokémon.

Teal said:

In Gold/Silver/Crystal you could unlock the Unknown Dex which I think showed all 26 letter unknowns in your Pokedex. I don't remember if it ever showed ! and ? So... i'm lost again? Lol

So Shaymin and Keldeo have an entry for each form?

nvrBungeeJumped said:
So I was wondering about what defines different forms in Pokemon. Are the Unknown all considered to be a different from of the same Pokemon even though they cannot change into other letters/symbols.

I would call them "versions" or something like that. But I do think they are considered forms.

I always thought Pokemon should do something like it did with the Unowns or Gastrodon where they can differ in appearance. I think it would be cool to have a rainforest with different areas like the safari zone. Then you can have a special Pokemon like a tree frog, that can have many different colors and patterns for each area of the rainforest. I can only dream lol

nvrBungeeJumped said:
Teal said:

1) In Gold/Silver/Crystal you could unlock the Unknown Dex which I think showed all 26 letter unknowns in your Pokedex. I don't remember if it ever showed ! and ?

2) So Shaymin and Keldeo have an entry for each form?
1) "!" and "?" were added in generation three. The Unowndex is not the same thing as the Pokédex.

2) No, because they are formes. Formes don't have own entries.

RE: Are Unown considered different forms?

Teal said:
No, because they are formes. Formes don't have own entries.

That makes me wonder why in here Unown has one listing and Gastrodon has two entries of the same number. Does that make it one entry of the Dex# is the same?

RE: Are the Unowns considered to be different forms?

Gastrodon still has one dex entry in the GAMES. Bulbapedia is not an official source.

There are 2 distinct terms often used: forms and formes... Formes are usually major modifications (Giratina-O, Black/White Kyurem, Deoxys) while forms are usually only slight differences (mainly asthetic ones) like Keldeo-R, Unown, Gastrodon, Wormadam, Castform... In general, you can call them all just forms. You can also separate them into interchangeable forms (again, like Deoxys) and non-interchangeable forms (like Unown or Basculin).
However, it doesn't matter if it's a form or a forme, interchangeable or not, it is still the same pokémon species and as such, there's only one pokédex entry. As most probably know, in BW/2, there's a section in the pokedex that shows the forms of each pokémon (including the shiny coloration and gender differences), so that's where you get to see each individual form of a specific pokémon even though the pokédex entry is the same... The only ones not present are the Arceus plate-sprites and the Genesect sprites with different drives.

Bulbapedia listing both Gastrodon forms but only one Unown is probably just for pratical reasons. Having to list all 28 Unowns is kinda tiresome...

nvrBungeeJumped said:

Interesing question. I suppose they cannot change their form. Each Unown is born that way.

Well think about it this way: is Scizor a form change of Scyther? They have the exact same amount of Base Stats and even though their typing is different, Pokémon like Meloetta and Arceus change type when they change form.

Blob55 said:
Well think about it this way: is Scizor a form change of Scyther? They have the exact same amount of Base Stats and even though their typing is different, Pokémon like Meloetta and Arceus change type when they change form.

Scizor is an evolution. He can't change back so it's an evolution line.

I think of the unknown like different colored dogs. Same species, just certain genetic differences that change the creature's phenotype.

SheNinja said:
Blob55 said:
Pokémon like Meloetta and Arceus change type when they change form.

Wrong. They change forme when they change type, correct?
No.
Arceus has no 'formes'; his palette just changes to match the general color of its typing.

Meloetta changes type because its alternate form focuses on dancing, which is obviously a lot more physical than singing is.

Back