Arceus (Post CC's)

creamyjeremy

2011 Idaho State Champion
I was just wondering how Arceus did doing Cities and what people think of it going forward.
I haven't seen it mentioned too much, but that might reflect the low amount of play it receives rather than the results of recent tournaments.

Personally, I went an overall 15-6 with a 1st and 3rd place finish in cities.
Currently, I am working on a new varient that I think will play well in states.

Well, Arceus saw scarce play over in my homecountry so it didn't top-cut in a single cc. But I too, believe this is an undertested deck that has the potential of grabbing mulitiple pop-victories. If played by more people, that is...

Post-rotation, I believe this deck will see a lot more play though! Seeing as the rotation rids the format of always threatening Machamp SF, and due to the fact that Arceus hardly loses a single card, I believe Arceus might have what it takes to counter Lostgar...

I'm trading like crazy getting Arceuses or would it be Arcei? lol

deff will do better come next year. what were your toughest matches using arceus? other than Machamp

^Arceus is the plural of Arceus.

Arceus doesn't like DialgaChomp very much, if I hear correctly... that 'Body-lock really hurts.

Yes, DGX can be a problem, BUT: if you play the deck right, you'll be able to oneshot dgx the turn after it hits the field. Simply retreat your useless lv. x, send out a fire arceus without leveling it up, transport the energy you need for it's attack to him, and et voila, you're taking out a belted dgx with two special metals attached in one turn:) Amazing and simple - the beauty of arceus...

SP (luxchomp) is one of its best match ups.
DGX is a little tricker, but as stated, OHKOs with fire arceus. If you know you're playing it, you just hold the fire (or don't LvX it) til needed.

On the other hand, poor match ups
Gyarados is a bit tough, but beatable with some skill/luck
Machamp (SF) is also touch, but once you start to break thru the Machamps (usually 2 turns) it gets easier.

I haven't play Lostgar enough, but with its speed/dark Arceus, I think it'll be an even match.

Most other deck in the x2 are a favorable/slightly favorable match up for Arceus.

Flygon is also a pretty tough matchup because it OHKO's your Lv.X's and either gets a free Sand Wall at least once per game, or slows you down because you don't want to play the Ultimate Zone. I know Flygon isn't big at the moment, but it might come back after the rotation because it's one of the few decks that can effectively use Magnezone Prime for drawpower.

Flygon is pretty tough, especially something like FlyChamp. It's just has to played as you go.

Yes, Flygon is a real poor matchup... Luckily you can use Sky Ridge early on to take out trapinch before they evolve and turn dangerous;)

Remember though that against flygon you can OHKO with normal arceus when you have luke GL in play (which you should use) and if they sand wall you can still get a prize by sniping. In fact, if you have the energy to do it, it may actually be a good idea to try to bait them into spamming sand wall while you snipe their bench by using ultimate zone. Also, gyarados shouldnt be THAT hard either, as you can OHKO them with fire arceus attack with luke in play and after you have gotten 3-4 prizes you can just snipe their bench for the rest of them.

i find lucario to be a mixed play (so I may/may not play it).

In general arceus can overcome its weaknesses, so taking out flygon is "very difficult" is just annoying.

Gyarados has just been really fast lately with the addition of rescue energy (combo with BTS). Can be beaten, just a unfavorable match up

My friend plays arceus and its a good deck, but its hard to play right, you have to run just the right amount of energies to get cheap sky spear ko's, arceus is, in general, outspeed to crap w/o a 1t collector, i think he needs to run more thinning cards to ensure this, like, in general, run pokedex, and even unknown R if you have to

One thing I would like to point out: What happens if they level up to a Dialga G Lv.X, then play warp energy and send it back to the bench? Which Arceus does enough damage to snipe it then?

You would have to two-shot it with Normal Arceus and Sky spear... THis however, comes at an awful cost of lz'ing 6 energy... Something that might be enough to break your build down...

The other solution is to simply play without lv. x for the rest of the game, and simply retreat and move around the appropriate nrg, to ko the old fashioned way. This of course should only be the last resort.

The problem with DGX is that it is often played with Garchomp C. By shutting off bodies, every Arceus can easily become a colorless, which leaves them coming back to DGX for attack. With 1 retreat cost and ult zone, DGX can be worked around.

Back