Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

This is a very bad card ! There's already many ways and many cards to lock abilities and some of them are better than this one !

That's just plain wrong.

This card cannot be countered. Read that again. Cannot. Nothing we have post rotation right now can shut off Supporters effectively (and I wouldn't count on Giratina-EX if it is 4 energy to attack). Once this card has been played, the effect cannot be removed by your opponent.

Garbotoxin is gone after rotation, Wobbuffet is bested by Lysandre/Escape Rope/just knocking it out, Silent Labs only affects Basics and with Paint Roller AOR is fairly easy to remedy.

This card, once played, could completely cripple a Shaymin based deck for a turn, could allow you a turn of set up if Item Locked by Vileplume, prevent Crawdaunt from removing your energy for a turn and allowing you to still attack, the list continues.

This card is niche, for sure, but if the meta game swings even more to support based abilities I'd rather not risk losing the Stadium War and run a couple of these with VS Seeker instead.

I'm not certain how that works, how so?
Well , there is only 11 SR ( SUPER RARE ) in bandit ring and those 11 spaces make up the full arts of the ex's. So in order for us to get a full art supporter in bandit ring , they would have to not give 1 or 2 of these ex's a full art.

I think you're wrong. Pokemon have always come before trainers. And all full arts are SR in Japan. So it is logical that the shiny full arts follow the normal full art Pokemon and then the trainers. And there are still two spots left. Seriously, that is for the supporters!! No doubt about that. Pokemon company already knows what is in the set so they wouldn't advertise the wrong amount of cards!
The shiny full arts are UR in japanese. Thats thier secret rare labeling. There are 11 spots for SR ( full arts) and those are all taken by full arts for the ex's.
The ad for bandit ring had to have been changed because amiami's description of the set says...
Randomly assorted from 81 types + ???.

(Normal) Common x37 types, Uncommon x24 types
(Kira) Rare x9 types, Double Rare x11 types, Super Rare ( the full arts) x11 types

Plus the 3 UR shinys so thats 95.
Not to mention that the numbering on the card is out of 81. So the ad should have said 81+?
All full arts are labeled with a higher number than the set number in japanese. Thats why when the post ads for new sets , it gives you the question marks after the set number.
the 81 cards consists of the common , uncommon and holos and then come the SR's ( full arts)which start out as , 82/81 , 83/81 etc etc and then the UR come after all the full arts.
And if you notice , hex trainer is card 77/81 , confirming that the ad for bandit ring was either , changed or wrong to begin with.
if the ad was right there would be 108 cards plus the 3 UR in bandit ring lol

Last edited:
Well , there is only 11 SR ( SUPER RARE ) in bandit ring and those 11 spaces make up the full arts of the ex's. So in order for us to get a full art supporter in bandit ring , they would have to not give 1 or 2 of these ex's a full art.

Oh that's unfortunate, thank you for explaining :(

I think you're wrong. Pokemon have always come before trainers. And all full arts are SR in Japan. So it is logical that the shiny full arts follow the normal full art Pokemon and then the trainers. And there are still two spots left. Seriously, that is for the supporters!! No doubt about that. Pokemon company already knows what is in the set so they wouldn't advertise the wrong amount of cards!
Unfortunately, in terms of shiny pokemon, they come after the fa trainers in japanese sets. An example of this is Freeze Bolt and Cold Flare, where FA Cheren (Freeze Bolt 63/59) and FA Bianca (Cold Flare 63/59) come before Shiny Golurk (Freeze Bolt 64/59), Terrakion (Cold Flare 64/59) and Altaria (Cold Flare 65/59)

This card is really gonna depend on the meta quite a bit. I personally can't see more than 2 of these being used in a deck. Mostly would just be a one-of though.

Pretty sure how much it's used will depend heavily on how big Vileplume ends up being.

Can we talk a bit about the movie promo Hoopa? Feels like he got skipped over when the site was having issues. Sure he is a flippy attacker, but with skyfield you could flip 8 coins for x30, which with an average of 4 heads, gives you 120 for just two psychic energy. Throw in a muscle band and that's not bad at all, especially for a 70hp basic as far as trade off with EX's is concerned. throw in victini for repeat flips and you could easily be getting to 170. Not to mention you could pair it with Crobat or even Chandelure EX to throw 4 damage counters onto big targets and I kind of like it as a tier 2 concept. Plus the artwork is absolutely amazing in my opinion. I wish more full arts would depict a scene rather than just the pokemon with a colorful background like usual.

Nothing really playable here, but the Ancient Trait cards have amazing artwork. This set continues to impress from that point of view. The Volcarona is one of the prettiest AT cards we've had yet.

Alright, this was an amazing reveal and all of the cards look great.

Vespiquen (HA):
Artwork: Fantastic, honestly makes me a bit afraid of Vespiquen (I'm afraid of most bees but Vespiquen always seemed a bit lacking in the fear department). I would not want to be in the sights of this pissed off queen. 9/10

Card text: Not terrible, but nothing really to get excited over. The fact that Vespiquen can double up on tools gives her a unique chance to do some large but relatively cheap damage and that sustain is real. If only Vespiquen wasn't so vulnerable to OHKO to take advantage of healing upwards to 60 damage with 2 Muscle Bands attached. Cheap attacker, but numbers are either too low or too flippy to see much use. 5/10

Overall: 7/10 I want it, and apparently it looks like its a common? That is really interesting if that is correct and I imagine I will pull a lot of them from my box in the future.

Volcarona (HA):
Artwork: Now, it doesn't look as menacing as Vespiquen, but for being considered the King Bug, Volcarona definitely has the regal look. The card has such a stunning background view and I wouldn't be ashamed to have this card framed and hung up above my desk along with my FA Ho-oh EX and promo Regirock (HA). 8/10

Card text: Again, not overall useful with low/flippy damage and with Theta-Stop it does prevent use of aggressive abilities towards it, but I can't see a lot of players really wanting to target it to begin with considering how blegh it is. 4/10

Overall: 6/10 I love the artwork, I really have to thank the Pokemon Company for this amazing increase in quality for Pokemon artworks and of course I really thank the artists behind these beautiful creations.

*Addendum - I just realized that these guys are both stage 1 Pokemon and thusly a combo with Jolteon could make these cards hit more impressively against a large group of Pokemon for pretty cheaply, particularly useful for Vespiquen to hit that weakness with double Muscle Bands and deal 120/heal 120 (overkill).

I like the at Vespiquen, though I don't like the grass/tree background. I don't really care for Volcarona's design so that one isn't really anything.

That Vespiquen art is outstanding. Too bad her attacks are pretty average. If only Combee had the attack of his Undaunted print (80 damage plus poison for 1 colorless, if Vespiquen has damage), I'd straight up run that deck just for the pretty art.

...heck, I might run it for the pretty art regardless.

Although come to think of it, depending on what Tools we see in the future, she might end up becoming pretty good.

That Vespiquen could actually be quite decent. A double Muscle Band / Muscle Band + a Trick Coin allows for a splashable DCE Grass type user, which is something we've been missing for quite a while now.

ok going by the numbers of each card we see leafeon is not happening this set cuz the last spot is either a grass past virizon or a fire type before entei

so im betting that 013/081 is a flareon

i just thought of something i think that there will also be a vaporeon and these 2 will have fire and water versions of jolteons ability

Vespiquen is the only new card here that is actually any good, and it's still never going to see play. If you attach 2 Muscle Bands, you can do 60 for 1 while healing 60, which is very strong. Sadly, 60 for 1 isn't all that great outside of league play, and with a paltry 90 Hit Points, you're going to need SEVERAL copies of Floette FLF in play and a Training Center to make Vespiquen last long enough to do anything, and with all that work, it's still just doing 60! Even the under-rated Stage 2's like Ancient Dragonite and Feraligatr PHF reap a stronger reward for the time you put into setting them up.

Considering the mediocrity of these guys, I think it's safe to say that their regular prints should turn out to be quite good to contrast them.

Has anyone noticed how Golett is 34, and AT Golurk is 35. The non-AT version always comes before the AT version, unless there is a typing change, and this hasn't come before meaning that the regular Golurk will be Fighting type.

Has anyone noticed how Golett is 34, and AT Golurk is 35. The non-AT version always comes before the AT version, unless there is a typing change, and this hasn't come before meaning that the regular Golurk will be Fighting type.

I did notice but I never considered that the non-AT Golurk could be fighting, I just figured that this would be the first time where they would have an AT without a non-AT counterpart.

Back