Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

gonna have to get that volcarona and vespiqueen for aesthetics alone.

But how long will I have to wait for an actual playable volcarona card...

EDIT: Have there been ANY really really strong ancient trait cards? (non EX)
It seems to me they're always underwhelming or just barely usable.

EDIT: Have there been ANY really really strong ancient trait cards? (non EX)
It seems to me they're always underwhelming or just barely usable.

(Note: The following post is written from the perspective of someone who likes to play for fun. In all honestly, only about 30% of the cards listed below are good)

-Ancient Magcargo has actually seen play with Seismitoad-EX and Primal Groudon-EX as a type advantage counter. It's great against Virizion/Genesect and Bronzong PHF!
-Ancient Swampert is used with Archie's Ace In The Hole now and then for the Ability. It's mostly seen with decks already running Slurpuff PHF, like Seismitoad-EX and Plasma Flareon.
-Ancient Nidoqueen is probably the best Omega Barrage attacker, but since Mewtwo-EX and Seismitoad-EX are splashed so frequently into popular decks like Bronzong PHF and Yveltal-EX, it's too easy to counter it. As such, it probably won't be good until next format, if at all.
-Ancient Medicham has seen success as a budget deck, though the low HP and reliance on needing 2 attachments at once to do anything makes it a risky play.
-Ancient Excadrill seems to be a very popular League deck and For Fun deck, though I've never personally seen anyone playing it at tournaments.
-Ancient Kingdra got hyped a ton when it came out. Even the Stage 2 haters thought it would be great. Yet, it hasn't seen much play at all, though I think that Double Dragon Energy and Level Ball could help it in the future.
-Ancient Bunnelby is probably going to be a lot better as a support card now that Trump Card is banned.
-Ancient Articuno is by far the best Delta Plus card because it's a Basic, but it's a flip-based deck, so I can't see it being all that great.
-Ancient Banette is getting a bit of discussion as a possible counter to Mega decks and Stage 1 decks, but with Roaring Skies just out, it hasn't seen any use yet.
-Ancient Togekiss is great for Energy Acceleration in any deck, but since nearly every type in the game (except Fighting and Psychic) have easier to use Acceleration cards, the only combo people are really trying it at ALL with is Malamar-EX since it abuses Energy like crazy. There's a http://google.com/ article somewhere about it, and considering that they never really cover 'fun' decks, that's surprising.
-Ancient Dragonite is a gimmick I've been messing around with and it's genuinely good, but it has so much trouble against X-ball themed attackers since it needs 5 Energy to attack - not to mention that Seismitoad-EX is an obviously bad matchup.
-Ancient Altaria is used in almost every Crayquaza deck to stop Mega Manectric-EX and Raichu XY.

I'm totally late, but I just wanna talk about lore for a minute.

So, I'm liking how they add onto Hoopa's theme with the new ancient trait letter:

Theta is derived from the phoenician letter Teth () which is symbolic of a wheel.
Wheels are round, like rings (lol). They are regarded culturally as a symbol of movement, multiplicity and progression.
(Obscure reference in HoopaEX's ability?)
Hoopa's demonstrated ability to move legendaries around has a kind of wheel-of-fortune feel, arguably.
(Again, Hoopa-EX ability reference)
Theta is a variable in transport phenomena
Double
and Stop, the first two effects for theta, come across (to me) as a reference to going double-time and, well, stopping. They share a relation to speed, or progression.
Also, durrhurr, theta's text box is purple like Psychic/Ghost types

Last edited:
(Note: The following post is written from the perspective of someone who likes to play for fun. In all honestly, only about 30% of the cards listed below are good)

Will keep that in mind and only focus on things that aren't overly accurate for either.

-Ancient Nidoqueen is probably the best Omega Barrage attacker, but since Mewtwo-EX and Seismitoad-EX are splashed so frequently into popular decks like Bronzong PHF and Yveltal-EX, it's too easy to counter it. As such, it probably won't be good until next format, if at all.

Best Ω Barrier attacker is Medicham. Honestly a bit surprised you stated it wasn't given that you then list it and admit it has seen some success as a budget deck.

Actually, that is the only real thing I noticed. ;)

This nidoqueen works great with toxicroak ex, flf dragalge, pls crobat, and xy scolipede in a poison overload deck, with garbotoxin and tool retrieval to oscilate the abilities and guard against verdant wind

Best Ω B(arrage, mr fancington) attacker is Medicham. Honestly a bit surprised you stated it wasn't given that you then list it and admit it has seen some success as a budget deck.

Actually, that is the only real thing I noticed. ;)

Wait, what?

*re-reads my post*

Oh, haha, I actually wrote out the part on Medicham first, then remembered Nidoqueen.

This nidoqueen works great with toxicroak ex, flf dragalge, pls crobat, and xy scolipede in a poison overload deck, with garbotoxin and tool retrieval to oscilate the abilities and guard against verdant wind

That... isn't saying much as you just required a massive and somewhat tricky set-up deck. Has that ever top cut a tournament?

That... isn't saying much as you just required a massive and somewhat tricky set-up deck. Has that ever top cut a tournament?

Not to mention 30 or more Pokemon...that list seems to have 3 stage 2's, 2 stage 1's, and a heavy toxicroak EX line :p I'd be surprised if anyone could get all of that out never mind win with it xD

Some really nice art on the Bandit Ring cards...Maybe I should have skipped Roaring Skies and waited to order an Ancient Origins/Bandit Ring booster box.

I'm already thinking about the prerelease and omg I will say that I looooove Volcarona and hope I pull enough for a deck, like forlz. However, since Vespiqueen is a common, I hope she stays that way so at least I can build a deck like that, too, if it boils down to a bad starting set of packs.

Yes it has, unfortunately it was only a league challenge, I took 3rd in a master division with it.

Does a League Challenge "count" as a tournament? I guess maybe it does. Is there a better way to designate when I mean "City Championship", "State Championship", "Regional Championship", "National Championship" or "World Championship"? It occurs to me that had the above deck been possible in a Pre-Release, that event would also count as a "tournament". So I do need a better term. Championship series tournament?

Does a League Challenge "count" as a tournament? I guess maybe it does. Is there a better way to designate when I mean "City Championship", "State Championship", "Regional Championship", "National Championship" or "World Championship"? It occurs to me that had the above deck been possible in a Pre-Release, that event would also count as a "tournament". So I do need a better term. Championship series tournament?
I'm with Otaku on this. I love me some Omega Barrage Nidoqueen as much as the next guy and do okay with it on PTCGO, but coming in third at a League Challenge is like saying you almost, kinda, would've won FNM.

Nice artwork! Can't wait to see more cards from this set, especially of my personal favorite artist, Kanako Eo :) I'm going to check ASAP in the morning for more! Can't wait for Ancient Origins!!

Back