Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

Entei :D
And there will be a regular version too? So much awesome cards for collectors <3

"Evil Energy" as Rocky Helmet for Darkness Pokémon against Pokémon EX

Sableye: First attack Use a supporter of your opponent's discard pile. Second attack put 3 counters in your opponent's Active Pokémon.
Aww really? That's what the energy does? Booo....

If Raikou is in the set, it probably won't get an Ancient Trait since there's only one spot left between Kyurem EX (#25) and Unown (#30). And Ancient Trait Pokemon always have a regular counterpart.

The four cards in between are Jolteon, Ampharos Ex, probably M Ampharos Ex and a currently unknown Pokemon. That spot could be filled with either a gen 6 water Pokemon (think not), a Lighting Pokemon (regular Raikou) or a Psychic Pokemon (Espeon). I seriously hope for a Lighting Pokemon, since just three in one set is just silly.

Japan is getting an Umbreon promo, perhaps they're getting an espeon promo to go along with it. It would free up the space for Raikou.

on the subject of the eeveelutions,

If Entei AT is 15, it would make the non AT 14.
We know Virizion is 12 so there is only one space left between those two.
I'm guessing it's flareon.

Aww really? That's what the energy does? Booo....
Yep those are the translations

Japan is getting an Umbreon promo, perhaps they're getting an espeon promo to go along with it. It would free up the space for Raikou.

on the subject of the eeveelutions,

If Entei AT is 15, it would make the non AT 14.
We know Virizion is 12 so there is only one space left between those two.
I'm guessing it's flareon.

It has to be Flareon, if Jolteon is in the set, and there is only one space before Entei.

I think in this set we will get Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon. And our set will come with the Umbreon promo and maybe a Espeon promo.

Yep those are the translations

It has to be Flareon, if Jolteon is in the set, and there is only one space before Entei.

I think in this set we will get Flareon, Vaporeon and Jolteon. And our set will come with the Umbreon promo and maybe a Espeon promo.

I think leafeon and glaceon might also be in this set. Looking at the grass there are only 3 spots left between M Sceptile EX and Virizion. If cottonee and whimsicott are both grass then the last spot would probably be for leafeon.

the cards aren't great but it makes me think that mega tyranitar will really be dark type with these dark type support

Too bad sableye's first attack cost isn't 0 xD

I suppose at the least these two things give more tools for yveltal to play with. Although does having N in the format lessen the usefulness of the attack?

What Thood, said. Meh. I mean Sableye is okay but not fantastic. Could be useful in some situations but again very situational.

Bad energy...well it seperates itself from Strong energy but goes way off from the original dark energy. At least Shield energy stayed pretty much true to the original steel energy. Oh, well. Part of me thinks it sucks that it only works against EX Pokémon but in all fairness those have been pretty prevelant since...ever.

I think leafeon and glaceon might also be in this set. Looking at the grass there are only 3 spots left between M Sceptile EX and Virizion. If cottonee and whimsicott are both grass then the last spot would probably be for leafeon.
Or Bellossom.

Sadly these cards are kinda meh.

Sableye
The fact your turn ends after attacking means that Sableye's attack isn't as good as it could be, since the opponent can N your cards away if you draw. However, it could be a nice tech in Dark decks since you never know when using an opponent's supporter will save your skin when you don't have one.

Bad Energy
It's name isn't too far off from my opinion of the card. With Enhanced Hammer and Xerosic being used, this card isn't near as impressive as I wish it could be. I was hoping for it to be more like a Strong Energy clone, since the old Dark special energy was the original "Strong Energy". Also, making it only work against EX's was completely unnecessary. It's still meh even without that restriction.

I could be wrong, but after the 25 minutes I had to think about these cards, they're not really impressive.

Hehehe Bad Energy (I really hope that it keeps that name for localization). Lets talk about the new cards:

Artwork: Sableye is adorable and mischievous just like it should be. Is it just me or does a lot of the artwork for Bandit Ring feature shining light beams coming in from an angle. Hitoshi Ariga is only recently an artist for the PTCG (more notably known for being the creator of Mega Beedrill and other Pokemon). Not really much else to say, Ariga captured Sableye's personality in a basic way and the lighting and textures don't clash so the whole composition is good. 7/10

Card text: If only it wasn't an attack but an Ability like that old Gardevoir card or an ability similar to Smeargle from HGSS-on (even though that was from the hand). Being able to use 2 supporters per turn thanks to Sableye's attack would have been much stronger if LTC was still around. Could see use depending on what offensive supporters come out of Bandit Ring (of course the attack relies on your opponent to play them to begin with). 5/10

Overall: 6/10 Is neat, no Junk Hunt Sableye but can be interesting depending on how the format changes due to rotation and inclusion of Ancient Origins.

Now for Bad Energy: wow talk about the most situational special energy card released so far XY-on. This energy not only requires it to be on dark type pokemon, but have to be facing off against Pokemon-EX. I think this energy could be useful with bulky Yveltal-EX to slowly add up damage against toad-decks. This energy will probably go the same way as Herbal, Wonder and Shield Energy. We could see how T-Tar EX and M-T-Tar EX could use this energy, and who knows, could end up being really strong.

The fact your turn ends after attacking means that Sableye's attack isn't as good as it could be, since the opponent can N your cards away if you draw.

I think we should remember to look at these cards in the light that XY-on will most likely be our next format, so N really isn't a threat.

I wonder how Sableye's text works against cards that have use conditions like Maxie and Ace Trainer. Since the text says that the card can only be played in a certain condition, Sableye might be able to copy those cards since he only copies the effect of the card and not any individual rulings needed to play the card. This is further established because Sableye says it copies the effect of the Supporter and is not actually playing the card. For example, Archie's Ace In The Hole says it can only be played if it is the last card in your hand, but since the effect is copied and the card is not played when used with Sableye, it makes me believe that you can copy an Archie even if you don't have a 1-card hand. Just a theory, though.

Sableye
The fact your turn ends after attacking means that Sableye's attack isn't as good as it could be, since the opponent can N your cards away if you draw. However, it could be a nice tech in Dark decks since you never know when using an opponent's supporter will save your skin when you don't have one.

N after rotation?

Sableye

You are assuming N will be staying around after the rotation. While we will have 3 weeks to play with the cards before the rotation, sadly the rotation will be coming the day after the cards are tournament legal.

As for "Bad Energy" I'm glad to see more cards focusing on making EX pokemon weaker, I just hope the trend continues so that each type has some way to reduce/nullify EX pokemon damage.

I was so excited for a special Dark energy...but, I agree with everyone that this one falls a bit flat. It might be marginally better if there were Dark types with Omega Barrier to at least keep the energies attached...but, even then I see it as only being a regular energy that might occasionally offer a perk. Usually EX-specifics have bigger and better effects (like Silver Bangle, Safeguard, Gold Breaker, Intensifying Burn, etc.). I suppose with the seemingly big push by TCG into a hyper EX world, and with the rotation of Rocky Helmet and Rock Wall, it has some vague usefulness...but, barring any unrevealed combo cards/abilities/ancient traits, it's a bit of a letdown (though better than nothing).

Sableye is interesting and very Sableye-ish to me. Initially, I didn't read it carefully enough and thought the supporter's effects would be on the opponent (so felt like Juniper/Sycamore-ing them out of cards). Then realized it was like Silent Claw (Plasma Liepard) with the discard pile - which is more reliable because you know what's there, versus the mystery of the person's hand. It's a good way to get the effects of 2 supporters in 1 turn (use your own, then use this move). Double Team Flare Grunt, Wally something up twice, get 4 basics with Fan Club or 6 normals with Winonna, etc. I think it has a lot more potential that may be realized - an ancient trait Bunnelby could make an intriguing partner.

I forgot about rotation. But even then, you're using up your turn just to restore your hand with cards you can't even use until next turn. no damage output or anything. The attack isn't even free either. Gotta use your energy attachment for that turn.

Can only see it being too useful if you draw complete crap, your opponent uses a draw supporter right away, and it just happens to save your butt from getting 2-3 turns behind (you'll already be a turn behind using this anyway).

Back