Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey
I'm actually thinking that I'm the only one happy that there's a Lugia-EX like this. Ever hear of the rotation? They're most likely getting rid of Mewtwo and the rest of LTR, so Lugia isn't that bad in the long run.
I'm just figuring out how to run it XY-on though...

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
Also I feel like the Hoopa artwork is different from other EXs, as in it looks like it's not made by someone like 5ban graphics or Ryu Ueda etc.
It seems to be from a different artist. The only artist I can think of is possibly Eske Yoshinob, looking at the blurred illustration credit. Though, the style looks different to me...

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
I really love the drawn EX cards. I mean I can appreciate the work behind 3D Models but...
It just feels like there's more life in it than 3D Models ya know?

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
also if we don't get any Megas in this set I'll be even more disappointed, I could've sworn Hoopa Unbound was going to be a special Mega like the Primals tbh
Hoopa Unbound is just a different form of Hoopa, like Shaymin Sky or B/W Kyurem etc...

Why on EARTH should Hoopa Undound EX be a Mega or a Primal-Mega EX??

Really dunno.

Last edited:

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
I'm actually thinking that I'm the only one happy that there's a Lugia-EX like this. Ever hear of the rotation? They're most likely getting rid of Mewtwo and the rest of LTR, so Lugia isn't that bad in the long run.

The reason people are upset about Mewtwo getting an effective re-print is the same reason people would be upset if Seismitoad got an effective reprint.

Cards like that centralize the metagame. Love or hate Smogon rules, you gotta commend them on making it so that you don't have a metagame where 50% of it is made up of one Pokemon like we are right now in the TCG.

pokemonkosh

A Freakin' Monkey
The reason people are upset about Mewtwo getting an effective re-print is the same reason people would be upset if Seismitoad got an effective reprint.

Cards like that centralize the metagame. Love or hate Smogon rules, you gotta commend them on making it so that you don't have a metagame where 50% of it is made up of one Pokemon like we are right now in the TCG.

Well, what I have to say to that is...
People, find your own counters. Make your own cool decks. Let people run cards that they want to run, and if they do good, good for them!
If you can't win, find another counter, or join 'em. It's that simple.

Pikachu6319

Scooby

We of course know about rotation and personally as I said I'm kind of glad to see a Lugia that isn't a plasma Pokémon. I don't think it's so much about the rehashed attack so much as who has it.

I mean, why did they give this to Lugia EX who we already had, albeit the fact it may end up rotated? Why not give it to Arceus EX. who hasn't had a card since the end of the BW era with the self titled set. Why not give this to a colorless Yveltal, who is part flying after all and has never been done as such? Why not give to Suicune, who hasn't had an EX this era despite Entei and Raikou having (rotated) versions? Or Regirock or Regice who haven't likewise haven't had EX's this era? Ho-oh is rotated out too, so why not give this to a colorless Ho-oh?

Of course no one has this answer. I think though the fact they rehash older legendaries when there are those who have either never been done or those who could have it done another way is where the issue comes from.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I really love the drawn EX cards. I mean I can appreciate the work behind 3D Models but...
It just feels like there's more life in it than 3D Models ya know?
This is exactly how I feel. I think there's a great deal more beauty in a drawn Pokémon-EX because there is so much more detail that can be put in, and in general they look a lot more fitting to me. But, that's how I feel with all cards, really. It also helps that the standard currently is 3D Models, making it a rarer thing to see drawn versions. I hope this continues!

TheStrictNein

Well, what I have to say to that is...
People, find your own counters. Make your own cool decks. Let people run cards that they want to run, and if they do good, good for them!
If you can't win, find another counter, or join 'em. It's that simple.

That's fair enough. But it creates a very very boring game where by to have a shot of winning you either need to run the deck that makes up 50% of the meta game or tune every single other deck to essentially focus most of cards on countering that deck.

When I play PTCGO, I quit out of any game as soon as I know they're running Seismitoad, because it just isn't fun anymore. I get it, you want to play the best deck. But I know how this game is going to go down and I'd rather play other decks with a bit more variance than use one attack the whole game and nothing else.

Last edited:

zorinjarkraiveltal

Shadow Trainer
My attitude to Exs has sort of deteriorated over the last two sets...

As a collector I have to say the art on all of these is genuinely quite good, but seriously now I can't be the only person who's hoping for a Pokémon Ex which is designed well, not expected, and not a legendary. Something like Toxicroak Ex or Skarmory Ex (not counting Pokémon which where made for their Megas). I mean, I know they're not legendries but what would be wrong with a Milotic Ex and Braviary Ex instead of these repeats and word-for-word copies? Don't want to be that guy who complains about everything, just... please PTCG...

asdjklghty

-------------
I hate how Kyurem's first attack only attacks the bench. Why not all of your opponent's POkemon and it costs 3 energies, 2 of which have to be water. Wow?! Couldn't TPCI have made his attack cost 2 energies instead? He's an EX!

whirlpoolm51

Aspiring Trainer
I for one am estatic to see lugia again!!! Better than the one with the stupid plasma symbol lol people are condeming this set for failure already and we have only seen 3 cards lol
the onky one i could see people being upset about is kyurem ex. They should have just made kyurem a holo like they did with reshiram in emerald break. Plus the artwork looks exactly like the other 2 haha. Im pumped to see the full arts of lugia and hoopa!!!
I do not see why they would stop making megas all of a sudden so again , i dont see why people are worried about that.
also , if lugia is in this set and kyurem, i can almost gurentee we will get an arceus ex in either bandit ring or the mini set and i will put money on it.
if there is any non legendary i would want to see in this set it would be gyarados and mega gyarados!!!

Pokemon Ranger

Aspiring Trainer
well I am starting today to save up money to buy a booster box case for ancient origins =) a lot of lawns to mow... :oops:

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I also think we should at least get an Arceus-EX. Something like this, though it's fake(and has a spelling error... :p):
arceus_ex_by_blui129-d654nyk.png

I'm torn between excited and disappointed about the Lugia-EX. I want one that isn't plasma, but the artwork on the new one just looks weird. And like everyone has said, it's pretty much a Mewtwo. Oh well...

In extension of the Arceus-EX comment, why not also a Manaphy-EX? So far they've left that out, along with Suicune, Regirock, and Regice.

On the bright side, I really like the Hoopa-EX. The Ability will work wonders in my EX-filled deck xD.

Scorched Feathers

Aspiring Trainer
I actually really love the art on the new Lugia-EX! I think when we see a better quality image it'll be better, too.
I think Arceus-EX may work, because it's in the film and we haven't seen one yet. Manaphy-EX is a little far-fetched, and I'm not sure how it would work out; the others I can see happening though, especially Regice! I'd love to see a Regice-EX in either this set or in the near future. I can definitely see the appeal of Hoopa-EX, and I think if I do eventually build RayMin, I'll play at least 2, if I can get my hands on them. I think it's another Jirachi-EX but more geared directly towards Pokémon-EX decks and with a better HP. I'm happy to see more cards like that for sure.

TheStrictNein

I actually really love the art on the new Lugia-EX! I think when we see a better quality image it'll be better, too.
I think Arceus-EX may work, because it's in the film and we haven't seen one yet. Manaphy-EX is a little far-fetched, and I'm not sure how it would work out; the others I can see happening though, especially Regice! I'd love to see a Regice-EX in either this set or in the near future. I can definitely see the appeal of Hoopa-EX, and I think if I do eventually build RayMin, I'll play at least 2, if I can get my hands on them. I think it's another Jirachi-EX but more geared directly towards Pokémon-EX decks and with a better HP. I'm happy to see more cards like that for sure.

Hoopa is just splashable everywhere. It's essentially 3 Ultra Balls for no discard.