News Alolan Exeggutor-GX from SM4 Revealed!

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Throw-away observation: I can see older fans not all too uncommonly making a mistake of treating this card a Grass-type during damage calculations. Nothing about A-Exeggutor itself screams Dragon, and aside from the obligatory top right Energy symbol, you don't have enough of the cue of the card's template background colour either – in fact, with the green leaves, the attack costs, and the mental association of Exeggutor as a Grass type all point you in the other direction.

More importantly: I'm glass they've included an Energy MAX/Big Eggsplosion-like attack on what amounts to Exeggutor's first big 'premiere' card in the history of the TCG. Would've been fun for me (I'm far more of a TCG collector than anything else, and Exeggutor's long been a favourite Pokémon for me) if they actually had referenced the attack names. Still hope for the English translation!

joffreyspikes

Aspiring Trainer
Well, I was anticipating this card, and I thought it was going to be a binder warmer, but the first attack is excellent for sniping and will inevitably see play in Decidueye (IT'S NOT DEAD EVEN WITHOUT FOREST). Dragon Hammer is fine but it is really just a place holder, but Tower-Go-Round-GX is fantastic!

It's viability is questionable but I am anticipating play for this card.

Last edited:

Lugia

Invisible Presence
I love the design of the new card, and its attacks sound quite useful (still a newbie card player). Looking forward to when it comes out!

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • All Ultra Beasts GX - Not gonna happen in Crimson Invasion
  • Giant Exeggutor GX - Dragon-types are now garbage because of lack of cards supporting this card due to the rotation of DDE. Well this was exempted to the issue. It runs 1 type of Energy. The attacks are not great. The ACs are too expensive. The First attack can snipe everything for damage. 2-3 Geodudes. The reason why I give 2-3 because it is WEAK to Broski

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
well, theres no doubt that its GX attack is strong and usable. but i think that dragon typing is a death sentence right now with gardevoir GX in the format, not to mention hitting nothing for weakness and not having any support :(

MarshalBry

Aspiring Trainer
Here's hoping for plasma egg reprint! (It'd be funny if they did reprint the exeggcute that was better than this exeggutor)

Mr. Mirek

Aspiring Trainer
A few comments:

Nice to see Pokemon recognize that Dragon-types don't have DDE going forward. Perhaps this + Kiawe can speed it up. Love the artwork!

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I think baby venasaur has a new partner...
You, sir, have a deck.
In other news,
YEAH! EVERYONE'S FAVORITE LONG NECKED 'MON IS HERE!!!
Well, besides the obvious excitement, the mon:
HP is higher than most Stage 1n
1rst attack (Copy of GOODRA WHICH EVOLVES FROM GOOMY!!!) is okay for sniping Benched, but bad for an attack on the Active. If you find some way to Guzma a useless Pokémon into the Active Spot, you can snipe the bench like nobody's business. Maybe you can pair that with Venusaur, but the damage isn't that high.
Second attack has a high energy cost but decent effect. Confusion is powerful, weak only to the confused retreating.
GX attack is really good. Unless you play Golduck BREAK, this is one of the few cards that move energy around. And the damage is high enough for the magic 180.
Well, I think this card is meh because of the energy cost. But, our long neck is here.

taschen88

Aspiring Trainer
I am SOOOOO GLAD the Energy cost is just Grass and Colorless!!!
A-Exeggutor-GX could easily fit any Grass deck with ease, provide some Weakness variation (other than Fire for almost all Grass decks), and even be the deck's main attacker!
I hope there'll be more usable Dragons like this, now that DDE is rotating out.

Dracarys!! (Alolan Exeggutor hurls coconuts at you)

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
This is a good alternative to Goodra from Guardian's Rising. But to get big numbers on that attack you have to leave yourself exposed to an energy drive. Lele never should have gotten that attack.