Acts of Kindness

Frost Mage

Pegasususus
Today I saw someone new at league. He had FA Charizard EX and SR Mega Charizard EX (Dragon) in his binder and of course I freaked out and told him that I loved those cards. He found what he wanted in my binder, I found what I wanted from his. You might be wondering, what is all this talk about acts of kindness? Well, the cards he found from my binder he found were 2 Dynamotor Eelektriks, 2 Eelektross DEX, 2 Hypnotoxic Lasers, and 2 Virbank City Gyms. For an FA Charizard EX and SR Mega Charizard EX X. "I don't care about price value, I care about my own personal value. And we both need these cards, so it looks like a fair trade." I nearly fell out of my seat. I thought he was crazy and I leaned my face onto the side of the table in shock. Best. Trade. Ever. Bar none. Have you guys ever had an amazing person like this give you cards that are worth WAY more than your end, have them actually know the values, but still not care? My second best experience was my friend giving me SR Garchomp PLF for a very damaged Fire Energy from ex Emerald and a Keldeo EX LTR, but oh my god... Today was amazing. Plus I pulled a Charizard EX (Stoke) from my one pack that I got when you enter League, which I traded for Keldeo EX from BCR and the last Darkrai EX I needed for my deck. Also, last night I bought 5 boosters from Target. First pack, Meloetta EX from Legendary Treasures. Didn't think much of it, of course. Next pack? Charizard EX 11/106. Next pack? M Charizard EX 69/106. Amazing. So happy! :D

one time bought a kids binder of cards after the card shop we were in didnt buy them prolly 1 or 2 cards i didnt have but i did it anyway

When I was in Pokemon League (like over a decade ago) there was this kid who was just starting to learn the game, he didn't have much more than a random amount of cards that was far from a deck even at that time. I spent the next (at least) thirty minutes completley rebuilding his deck with many of my own spare cards. I have no doubt it was much better than it was before hand.

Also met someone in my (now graduated from) college class a year ago before XY came out, who had some cards and wanted to make a live card Pokedex after seeing mine and I spent days finding all the cards that were needed from my collection and gave them to her. This one included a lot more holo cards than a simple deck.

I've been playing the TCG a long time and have always been willing to help newer players over the years. I've often helped players (new or folks with tight/limited budgets for cards) complete or improve their decks by just donating my extra cards (I found that younger players could get discourage early and drop the game when they could not compete due to poorly built decks) or making trades more in their favor.

As established players and ambassadors of the game, we need to encourage and help all players as best we can, when we can. Just seems to be the right thing to do.

I was really kind with a card store owner. On the day XY came out I pulled a Yveltal EX from the Elite Box and I traded it to the store owner for his Xerneas EX. I know that Yveltal EX is better, but the Xerneas EX had more value to me.

Another store owner sometimes gives away his common/uncommon cards. I barely buy cards because of my tight budget so it's great to get lots of cards for free to add to my collection.

Moving to Miscellaneous Discussion because this conversation can be applied to all TCG not just Pokemon.

I love all of the kindness on the members' end here, but I made this topic to not talk about how great we are, but how great other people are, if you know what I mean. :D

Sadly not everyone has that kind of story to share. I myself have climbed up to where I am on my own. No one handed me cards I needed/wanted or made things easier for me to get the cards I needed/wanted. Again this was quiet a while back.

But what's important to note is that despite that no one did this for me, it didn't carry over and I was perfectly willing to help those in need. There shouldn't be how great we are or our great they are but about how great everyone one of us is whether giving, receiving or on both sides of the coin. All acts of kindness can and should be acknowledged and even celebrated.

It's not Pokemon but I was once involved with magic the gathering but had no money. My best friend Shelby for Christmas 2 years ago got me a box with boosters in it. I opened up my first pack but pulled crud. He opened up a pack his sister have him and he pulled nicol bolas. He knew I loved it and he have it to me. Well two weeks later he was going to visit his future fiances house to ask her dad if he could propose...they got in a car wreck and he did not survive. Suddenly this card I loved meant more to me because with the card he told me "merry Christmas Doug I love you man". The card sits in my room in a case now. My ex-gf didnt know the story and almost threw it away but I stopped her.

Sorry for the sad story.

On my 10th birthday, my cousin gave me a bunch of Pokemon Trading Card Packets and all packets contained really rare cards, like Ho-Oh Legend. I let him keep them all. Except the Ho-oh Legend, which I still have today, and I vow never to give it away.

Staying away from the topic, from some of my experiences, I've learnt never to take Pokemon cards wherever I go. I lost a really rare Ho-Oh and Shiny Raikou card that he gave me - it suddenly disappeared.

Back