Absol (Prime) from Triumphant (#91) [2/18]

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
91-absol.jpg

Guiding questions:
1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
2. What popular metagame decks could it be used in?
3. What combos can you use it with? How so?
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
5. How's the artwork?

Posts MUST be several sentences long with proper grammar and spelling or they will be deleted - this forum is to discuss specific cards so other people can learn about their potential in the current metagame.

1. How does the card stand on its own? Is it good, bad, or have potential? Is it worth being played?
This card may have potential on its own, but 70 for two energy (80 with special dark) isn't going to cut it late game. Also, it may see little play if Lostgar becomes popular.
I'm not sure if it is metagame material, but Lucario CL and any Mew Prime decks. Absol to do damage while putting a pokemon in the lost zone.
As I mentioned above, Lucario and Mew Prime
4. Give it a rating, and explain why you have given it that rating. You can also rate the card by rating the thread itself (out of 5 stars).
3/5. 1.75/5 if lostgar sees heavy play
5. How's the artwork?
I like it. It makes absol look so evil, the had is bigger than the rest giving it the illusion of lunging out at you. The dark swirls make it look more evil. The glint in the ey also helps. 4/5

1. Easy to get set up, but risky HP for a Prime and you can't develop it because Absol G LvX
is an SP. It has small potential, but if the opponent plays Lost World, you're a goner.
2. Mew Prime and some CoL cards (none have come to mind yet).
3. It could work with Mew Prime and help get your Pokemon into the Lost Zone so that Mew Prime can use their attacks, but with Lost World's recent debut, this combo is a risk if they're playing Lostgar.
4. I'll give it a 3/5. He has a place in my collection, but in the metagame he doesn't stand much of a chance and you are at risk if you're against Lostgar. It can take down a Lostgar with one Vicious Claw, however, but as long as they've got a few Pokemon of yours put into the Lost Zone, Vicious Claw is suicide.
5. How's the artwork?
5. I really like it, it's one of my favourite Prime artworks. I'll give it a 4.5/5 because I like the zoomin and the Prime border looks really good with him.

It has potential, that is clear, but still it lacks something.
With Lostgar becoming more and more of a party of the meta (or the meta at alll) you just won't remove anything to the lost zone. The maybe last decks left that are not lostgar are machamp, donphan and SP so it's 3 out of 4 decks against absol prime(double weakness). Another weakness than lostgar is the amount of Pokémon you need so you can attack without any problems.
I like the body, it could work nice against some SP deck early game with the 70 damage atk.
Since claydol is gone and lostgar on it's peek you won't be able to play absol prime as a headliner or maybe at all.

I have NO idear.... Maybe some with a darkness energy as a desperate anti-lostgar tech.

I see some nice combos with damage counter movement cards put not many.
Gengar Lv. X could do some damage to the opponent but meh, you won't play Gengar Lv. X if your not playing gengar prime at the same time.

3.5/5 It's a nice and good card, but just printed in the wrong meta at the wrong time.

5. How's the artwork?
4/5 The artwork matches perfect to the poké body, I like this kind of evil sphere it gives you. Still the end of Absol Prime looks totally defomed, that's why only 4 out of 5 stars XD

80HP is a bit under what I would expect. Fighting Weakness makes it very vulnerable to some metagame decks out there. Psychic resistance defends from Vilegar and maybe a little from Lostgar. 1 Retreat; normal for basics. It is quite a good card though, with it's pokebody.

Maybe Mew Prime and other than meta's in a Metagross/Miasma deck because of the body.

In Mew Prime, easy lost zone +70 Damage or 90 with Ex. Belt or even 110 with 2 Sp. Dark. Retreat bring up mew and do the rest of the damage. This is good if you have no other cards other than that and no Psychic Energy in your hand.

3/5. Could be useful in Mew and good PokeBody and Attack. Also Pokebody could be really helpful to counter G-Dos with a few CroG.

5. How's the artwork?
A bit Meh? Like the glinting eye though and the background with all the colours :S.

Pretty good on its own, great poke body, has potential and is worth being played
Lostgar, MewPerior
Damage spread decks
3.5/5 Its an okay card but can be sniped by garchomp c lvx so it isnt too good
5. How's the artwork?
5/5 Amazing :) :)

Time to outspeed a certain someone from posting here before I do.

That Poke-Body, Eye of Disaster, really stands out. It's effectively a Miasma-like effect over your opponent for as long as it's active. That'll reduce the amount of damage needed to be dealt to kill something - in fact, using Absol's own attack, a Pokemon has to have more than 90 HP to survive the body and 1 attack (even more if Absol has a Special Darkness attached). It's also used in decks solely for its Poke-Body, which isn't bad at all.
It's primarily a tech, so you can use it in almost any deck out there. As an attacker, though, it's combined with Mew Prime - use its attack to remove from play a Pokemon in your hand, which Mew can then copy later. Just beware of Lost World when you do that.
Combine it with either a Miasma Valley (effectively stacking its Body) or a Metagross SV, and it will stop any Magikarp from hitting the bench, forcing Gyarados decks to resort to Contest Hall or Combee. Also, since it only has 1 retreat, you can tack the ever-useful Unown Q onto it to switch it in and out at will.
4/5. Not that good for its attack, but its Poke-Body, when used the right way, can be downright crippling. It's got 80 HP as well, modest for a Basic Pokemon also.
5. How's the artwork?
Awesome. Best Absol artwork I've seen yet.

Might have some donking potential, but HIGHLY unlikely. Donphan Prime, despite being an evolution, is vastly superior due to needing only one energy. It's too brittle and lackluster late game, as it can't OHKO any of the popular attackers in the format except Gengar Prime.

Popular decks? None. Never used decks? Maybe a Mew Prime deck, but again, too brittle to be of any competitive value.

Mew Prime? otherwise, nothing.

1/5 Way overrated counter to Gengar Prime. For the love of all that is good in your own decks, don't even consider it as a tech'd counter. It's not worth one-shotting Gengar Prime while helping them fulfill the conditions needed for Lost World. Besides, it has very few, if any, oppurtunities in the game to truely pose a threat.

5. How's the artwork?
All prime artwork is nice, and this is noexception. 5/5

5. How's the artwork?

1. It's a good card. However with lostgar it's going to be unplayable.
2. I don't play the metagame. Don't know about it :p
3. Mandibuzz from the new b/w set? I think i'll try it in a deck.
4. 3/5 Only ones I can think of that it would be usefull in are mandibuzz and mew.
5. 3/5 Usual prime work...

It's worth being played for Eye of Disaster, and it has quite a bit of potential.
Mew Prime is the only one I can think of, but with Lost World it's going to become unplayable.
As said above, Mew Prime. Also Unknown Q or Miasma Valley.
3.5/5 a good card, but it will soon become unplayable.
5. How's the artwork?
5/5 just epic. :)

Back