Absol-EX, M Absol-EX, and Pikachu Full Art Promos! [9/18]

Full-art Pikachu: It looks okay. It doesn't really scream out anything spectacular to me.
Absol-EX: There are still plenty of ways to buff the damage output of a Dark-type Pokemon-EX, right? Because Darkness Fang would be handy but it just doesn't do enough damage on its own. The card looks good - that lens flare/green lighting/whatever it is is a nice touch. Without that I think it'd look very very average.
M-Absol-EX: It seems like a good attack to me, but I thought that Mega Absol would get better artwork. I dunno. It doesn't seem very actiony - Absol is just there, staring at you.

I hope the English prints are better! And that we don't have to wait too long to get them!

M-Absol with Trick Shovel might make a fun deck.
Pikachu has great artwork, as for the attack it is easily outclassed by Zekrom. Oh, and a heads up: it's attack name is 100,000 Volt.

Pikachu: this cards is like the same older promo Pikachu(s): high damage with very high drawback.
Absol-EX: the artwork is so lazy! The attacks are average, not too good, not too bad.
M-Absol-EX: the artwork is a little bit better than Absol-EX but it's nothing special, I guess that's why they are only promos. The attack is pure garbage, who would want to waste a turn to M-Evolve to inflict 80 damage? And you have to be lucky as hell to inflict only 160 damage, plus the Fighting weakness... and here we go, another unplayable card.

I really don't like Absol/M-Absol, so I'm glad that they will publish these cards as promos instead of inside some set, but they could have been better than this!

Finally more Absol. Unfortunately they don't seem to be that great. At least the artwork is... nice. Well, for EX standards...

I think the Mega Absol EX bg artwork looks amazing. The character art is cool but not what I was expecting.

If this is gonna be a points based prize, it's likely to be very expensive... as if Japan hasn't taken enough money from me buying rare platinum edition Transformers toys.

Anyway hope it won't be too expensive. Like the Daisuke Club Espeon* or Umbreon*. Their Great/Prime cards were also ridiculously expensive.

M Absol Ex can indeed be viable if we also get an Absol Spirit Link tool. The attack cost is low and since most decks consist of 50-67% trainers odds are that it can dish out decent amounts.

This Pikachu Full Art is nice, but it seems extremely cluttered with Pokemon. Too bad we'll never get the BW Full Art Pikachu Promo from Japan.
Absol EX is OK, 3 for 100 without any drawbacks, and the 20 damage resist is kinda nice
M Absol is also OK. Play it with trick shovel, the chances of 2 cards not being a trainer are really low, but it would be better with Junk Hunt Sableye in the format

sweet loot man, its not for playing, its for putting in your trade binder and ripping off foreigners at worlds.

Believe it or not, I kind of like Mega Absol-EX. It may not be a Tournament Winner, but it gets acceleration from Yveltal and you can increase your knockout odds with Trick Shovel.

Dark Espeon said:
M Absol Ex can indeed be viable if we also get an Absol Spirit Link tool. The attack cost is low and since most decks consist of 50-67% trainers odds are that it can dish out decent amounts.
We are talking about odds, just like heads or tails... the luck isn't always from your side, and I personally don't want to let luck decide for my victory or defeat! I think this is one of the worst M-EX right now, it has a baaad damage output anyway...

ITT: People try to analyze the competitive aspect of promo cards.

Promos usually aren't that good. I can't think of a recent promo that's actually been decent, but I haven't been following Pokemon that closely recently, so I guess I wouldn't know.

Decmaster said:

Promos usually aren't that good. I can't think of a recent promo that's actually been decent, but I haven't been following Pokemon that closely recently, so I guess I wouldn't know.
There is people who thinks that this card is so good, and I said that -to me- it is not good, simple. A "decent" promo card?

Two words: Tropical Beach

Bye.

I agree wit The-Kaiser, it's another FA Pikachu that we won't see here in America, just like the last one. I suppose given I said the same thing about Shiny Gengar and couple of other things recently I could be wrong...though note we haven't heard word one about getting the Shiny M. Gengar EX yet.

Absol EX and M. Absol EX we will likely see though, at this point I suspect it some sort of product like the Metagross collection. Or it could wind up in another set too I suppose.

RealSlim said:
Pikachu: this cards is like the same older promo Pikachu(s): high damage with very high drawback.
Absol-EX: the artwork is so lazy! The attacks are average, not too good, not too bad.
M-Absol-EX: the artwork is a little bit better than Absol-EX but it's nothing special, I guess that's why they are only promos. The attack is pure garbage, who would want to waste a turn to M-Evolve to inflict 80 damage? And you have to be lucky as hell to inflict only 160 damage, plus the Fighting weakness... and here we go, another unplayable card.

Unless you're playing against preconstructed theme decks, this is totally unfair to say. Decks are at least half trainers. You really don't have to be that lucky at all to get the 160. Trick Shovels could be used to increase those chances further and you play Laser to get to 170/190. It's a solid attack, especially if there is an Absol Spirit Link printed at some point.

Dark type is nice if Gengar or something becomes popular, Psychic resistance is certainly useful, though Fighting weakness is awful. I would imagine you try to play it with Yveltal and/or Mewtwo to mitigate that but it still sucks.

It would need a Spirit Link for sure, and even then it's probably still too unreliable to be good competitively ... but I think it's a lot better than you're implying. The damage output is somewhat unreliable, but not bad.

Cool new cards.

Pikachu: Wow that's a lot of Pokemon on one card. As for the cards playability, I'd normally play the XY one because of it's colorless attack costs, especially the paralysis one. But in extended where we have eels, I could see playing this.

Absol EX: Pretty average card really. The attacks are okay, but are really nothing to write home about. The weakness to Fighting really hurts too.

M Absol EX: At first glance, I thought this was the worst mega. But with a muscle band, it can KO things for only 2 energy. Trick Shovel could come in handy to increase the odds of hitting a trainer. Shadow circle can help with the weakness and maybe a Hydreigon line could allow for some tanking strategies (new Hydreigon could be good for acceleration). Probably not a tier 1 deck, but maybe it could settle for tier 3 or 2 (2 if a spirit link card is released).

RealSlim said:
Decmaster said:

There is people who thinks that this card is so good, and I said that -to me- it is not good, simple. A "decent" promo card?

Two words: Tropical Beach

Bye.

And worlds promos aren't ever supposed to be playable since they're so exclusive. They screwed the pooch on that one and messed up both print runs for the Japanese. And the only reason anyone touched it was after google Cawthon threw it in a deck and then people started realizing it could be used in other deck types.

Bye.

Other "promos" that have been good but got other runs so it doesn't quite matter-most EX promos, Ninetails, Flygon Pre-release, Altatria Prerelease.

RealSlim said:
Dark Espeon said:
We are talking about odds, just like heads or tails... the luck isn't always from your side, and I personally don't want to let luck decide for my victory or defeat! I think this is one of the worst M-EX right now, it has a baaad damage output anyway...

And Catcher doesn't have odds? And Roller Skates? Second place Nationals winner this year played Roller Skates. Just because YOUR odds are bad or you dont think you want your victory to be decided on luck doesn't mean other people won't take advantage of the probability game and somehow win.

How is it the worst M-EX right now? There's Blastoise, Venusaur, Heracross...

Well, umm it looks like people are getting pretty fussy about all three of these cards. If you don't like them then there's more for me :D

Back