XY About weather and seasons

Rodrigus

Scizor tamer
As you might have heard, some people is talking about the seasons being not included in this new game.... and there are some that even doubt about the night and day (but I think that they just didn't showed it yet, dunno why though).

But the thing with the seasons, that make people say that there wont be seasons in this game is the fact that the map has already all kind of differences in weather as it is. Nevertheless I think there will be different seasons... but, for example, maybe the places that have snow in the map will have even more snow in the winter... and would be the same for the other places, respecting what weather it might has as its main...

What do you guys think?

A lack of day/night isn't going to happen. Period. It's become such a standard now that they'd have to be lobotomized to even consider it. I just hope they bring back nocturnal/diurnal Pokemon. Day/night felt kind of pointless in BW because everything always appeared at the same rate no matter the time of day.

As for seasons, I can potentially see them being done away with, but I hope not. I honestly thought BW could have done much better in terms of making the seasons look different from each other. Spring was kinda pinkish, summer was green, fall was an ugly brownish, and winter was a different shade of green. Yeah, wasn't impressed. So I hope that if seasons are still a thing, they're more differentiated like the seasons in New England:
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter

Buuuut maybe I'm just biased that way because I grew up in Vermont :v

I doubt they'll get rid of day/night. I think the same; that they should keep it and change wild pokemon ratios depending on time of day. If they DID get rid of it, it would definitely look bad in the eyes of the fan base.

As for seasons, I can see that happening. Do I want it to? Of course not, who would? I agree they can make the seasons less subtle, but I do see that there are different areas in the map with different nature patterns. The snow, the autumn trees up north and the flower patch for spring. If it doesn't happen now, it could return in the third instalment.

Overall it's too early to tell. Aside from the pokemon battle footage videos, we only have 2 actual gameplay trailers. I hope they reveal this info soon, because I didn't even think about it until now. I guess I assumed it would be automatic..

I'd like to see actual weather [that doesn't happen constantly, like those cursed deserts], kinda like what they did in RSE and DPPt, except broader[bigger? more everywhere? wordz]. Maybe bring back TVs that actually work and have real info on them, maybe channels? [weather channel, swarm-alerts [if they have those, maybe postgame if at all], etc]

If there are seasons, make the leaves on the trees go away darnit. I live in Michigan, with both conifers and deciduous, and the latter [used the most if not always in the games] never have leaves in winter. But the games were like 'lol what is 'winter' let us make the trees green'. Wat.

We have Pokémon based on day & night (Espeon & Umbreon) and on the seasons (Deerling & Sawsbuck). Unless Gamefreak wants to make any of those Pokémon useless, they can't remove day/night or seasons.

Well, Espeon and Umbreon existed in gen. III, and they still removed day and night. They managed to make it work then, they'd figure out how to make it work now. And Deerling/Sawsbuck's form changes aren't even as important - it only affects their appearance. If they wanted to just have it based on area rather than season, they could implement that pretty easily. I'd rather they kept seasons in some form, personally, but it wouldn't be a disaster if they didn't.

DorianBlack said:
Well, Espeon and Umbreon existed in gen. III, and they still removed day and night. They managed to make it work then, they'd figure out how to make it work now. And Deerling/Sawsbuck's form changes aren't even as important - it only affects their appearance. If they wanted to just have it based on area rather than season, they could implement that pretty easily. I'd rather they kept seasons in some form, personally, but it wouldn't be a disaster if they didn't.

Or it could still be based on time, ie Sawsbuck will still look wintery in December, just like how in Gen III Eevee could still evolve into Umbreon or Espeon. I wouldn't be surprised if they did take out Season though, they were pretty pointless, and just made more work for Gamefreak.

I'm also pretty sure that day and night change will be in the game, there are just so many pokemon based and reliant on it. I doubt it will have weather, although I always enjoyed weather changes in games.
I didn't like the seasons much, mostly because I didn't even play long enough to see all of them... So I wouldn't miss them, I would like regions with different 'seasons' or weather, though.

So if we battle during the night (outdoors), are we going to be able to see the starry sky? That would be great *.*

They did not remove day and night from RSE, they just didn't make it day or night, but the clock was still there. You just couldn't tell if it was day or night.

Drokas said:
So if we battle during the night (outdoors), are we going to be able to see the starry sky? That would be great *.*

That would certainly look amazing :) I'd really like to see that, with the 3 d battles and nice backgrounds while battling.

Nightingirle said:
Drokas said:

That would certainly look amazing :) I'd really like to see that, with the 3 d battles and nice backgrounds while battling.

I never even thought of that and I really want it now. Especially in a snowy area? Where the moonlight's shining on the falling snow? ugh god yes

As long as they don't make the water look like lava in the evening like DPPt I'm all good. That was weird e_e

frezgle said:
Buuuut maybe I'm just biased that way because I grew up in Vermont :v

Nah you're not being biased, I personally think they could've done better with the seasons in B/W myself ( then again, you get spoiled in NE with the seasons very quickly... :p )

I don't think that they'll get rid of the day/night feature and I would like to see an improved season system but you never know...

mewtwo6.jpg

This could be night time? Or maybe just the attack making it look dark..?

I really hope they don't take out night and day! Don't mind about the seasons, although they were quite nice.

mastermagpie said:
mewtwo6.jpg

This could be night time? Or maybe just the attack making it look dark..?

Nah, it was just the attack taking effect but the sky itself looks darker compared to other videos:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEiqzd6aWnQ[/video]
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FbbNKpWGA[/video]

I like Day and Night and I see no reason to take them out. The seasons were also a nice addition IMO but they could have make them better. I expect to see them both.

frezgle said:
Nightingirle said:

I never even thought of that and I really want it now. Especially in a snowy area? Where the moonlight's shining on the falling snow? ugh god yes

So much yes! Lol

I have an obsession with stars so if pokemon included them, it would tickle my fancy.

I'd like Seasons to be done away with, they last way too long and have too many changes (seriously, who likes waiting 3 months to catch a Cubchoo?). I do like what they did in terms of game mechanics, but I think weather would be a better way to implement those changes. Weather would only last a day or so, and would follow weekly cycles, meaning you don't have to wait that long for certain weather patterns to show up. Different Pokemon could appear in the area based on the weather, and it could also affect the area layout in similar ways that seasons did. Here's what each weather would do:

Sun: Lowers water level, allowing you to explore more low lying areas. Causes more Grass and Fire types to appear in the wild
Rain: Raises water level, allowing you to reach higher areas by Surfing. Causes more Water and Electric types to appear in the wild
Sandstorm: Sand piles up in the area, filling in certain areas like the leaves did in Autumn on Rt. 19. Causes more Rock, Ground, and Steel types to appear in the wild.
Hail: Exactly like it was in 5th gen, snow piles up in the area, and water areas freeze over. Causes more Ice types to appear in the wild.

Bolt the Cat said:
I'd like Seasons to be done away with, they last way too long and have too many changes (seriously, who likes waiting 3 months to catch a Cubchoo?). I do like what they did in terms of game mechanics, but I think weather would be a better way to implement those changes. Weather would only last a day or so, and would follow weekly cycles, meaning you don't have to wait that long for certain weather patterns to show up. Different Pokemon could appear in the area based on the weather, and it could also affect the area layout in similar ways that seasons did. Here's what each weather would do:

Sun: Lowers water level, allowing you to explore more low lying areas. Causes more Grass and Fire types to appear in the wild
Rain: Raises water level, allowing you to reach higher areas by Surfing. Causes more Water and Electric types to appear in the wild
Sandstorm: Sand piles up in the area, filling in certain areas like the leaves did in Autumn on Rt. 19. Causes more Rock, Ground, and Steel types to appear in the wild.
Hail: Exactly like it was in 5th gen, snow piles up in the area, and water areas freeze over. Causes more Ice types to appear in the wild.

I like that idea. Mid way through reading the top half I was already thinking rain and storms. It would be nice to get maybe light rain one day and a heavy storm at times. Kind of like in Sapphire with Kyogre.

Back