A New Card Type!

green_monkey

Monkey Pokémon Maniac
I was just looking up some Pokemon's abilities and I saw that Rayquaza's ability is Air Lock. Then I thought that would be pretty cool if it were in the TCG...but then I realized there is no "weather" in the TCG!

THEN. IT. HIT. ME! A NEW CARD TYPE! It will function similar to Stadiums. So, you play a Weather Condition Card from your hand into the Stadium zone. The effect occurs on every players turn! However, if someone plays a Stadium card, unlike Stadium cards, weather cards don't get discarded. So this means a WC card and a Stadium card can be in play simultaneously! Playing another weather card would, however, forcefully discard the active one.

This also stemmed a new mechanic...Sub-types!

In the current TCG Nine card types represent 17 Pokemon types. For example "Water" cards represent Water, and Ice Pokemon and "Colourless" cards represent Normal, Dragon, and Flying. Well we can never implement things that only effect say "Ice" types...So, I propose the TCG Pokemon cards have subtypes. For example, a Lapras would be a Water type but under it's name it'll say "Water/Ice". This also plays a large role in the Weather Condition Cards above.

Simplicity is good sometimes, especially when the TCG first started. However, like the games, the same thing over and over again would get pretty bland and stale. So, like the games, they add additional mechanics to make the game more fun, I admit more complicated, and more enjoyable to the older audience. When compared to other TCGs, Pokemon-TCG is not at all complicated in my opinion.

We all know that Stadium cards are ripoffs of Field Spell cards, and weather conditions fit perfectly under the umbrella of a Field Spell card.

No, this is a terrible idea and overcomplicates things tremendously.

That is an awesome coincidence! I knew someone else had to have thought of this too! Anyway, yes certain Pokemon can dual type, but I meant the system to be installed to accurately represent Pokemon like Ekans which is Poison type but is depicted as a "Psychic" or "Grass" type.

green_monkey said:
When compared to other TCGs, Pokemon-TCG is not at all complicated in my opinion.
Yeah, you're right, and thats why Pokemon appeals to me. Its a simple and fun game.
The weather cards are a good idea, but I think they could easily be considered a Stadium card.

I was thinking about that too, but I wanted them to be different cards because I wanted them weather to be stack-able with Stadium effects. For example, it can be raining in Miasma Valley.

Oooo! It could also be a sub-type of Stadium Card like Tools are a sub-type of trainers!

"Rain" would be so annoying and broke next format against Emboar/Reshiram. Blastgatr would have a field day! :p

I wouldn't mind the idea of weather stadiums being separate from regular stadiums, although we'd need a card that searches stadiums for it to be worthwhile imo, as with our reduced draw next format, consistently getting the stadium you need will not happen that often.

GHJamesGH said:
DNA, this game is too simple sometimes.

Like, oower up one big ass stage 2 pokeman and do 150 damage evry turn!!1 kinda simple, yes. While the SP engine was too powerful, it did bring some sophistication back into the game. The HGSS-on right now is pretty much just brute force, except for Lostgar.

I think it will be a good idea. It will help balance out the meta. Well as long as there are field effets for all types.

I think it might be an interesting idea. Of course the only weather effects we have are Rain (mainly only helpful for water types and Thunder with the current cards ) Ice (only helpful for ice types, most of whom are covered by water) Sun (pretty much limited to fire types though some grasses could benefit too) and Sandstorm (Rock Ground and Steel would be immune but nothing else).

The idea itself would of course have to tested out alot. Then you have other types which get no benefit (Psychic/Poison comes to mind here as does colorless) withouth some made up weather effect.

I can't deny it would complicate things further, for better or for worse is something we can all debate forever and never have a satisfactory answer. Just imagine if we needed tools of Gracedia Flower, Grecious Orb, Metoerite or appliances to play the alternated forms of Shaymin, Giratina, Deoxys, or Rotom.

The precense of three different Castforms that don't need weather to change indicates that unless Black/White changes things for them we won't be seeing weather conditions though.

@DNA The first stadium was released in Japan's Gym 1 in October 24th 1998 (ignoring the development time of the stadium concept) while Yugioh wouldn't come out until 1999. Therefore if you want to technical Field Spell cards are a 'ripoff' of Stadium cards.

While I think weather conditions would be intresting, sub-types would be terrible. If they plan to do dual types again like in the EX-era, which they probably will someday, it won't be a permanent thing and almost no one would want it to be.

I had a great idea. Make Stadiums with weather conditions on them instead of creating a whole new type of card that will over-complicate things.

I like the idea of weather stadiums but you wouldn't need another type, it isn't like water is effected by hail. Also stadiums should replace said cards(so they should be the same type of card) as it doesn't rain, shine, hail, or sandstorm inside. This would allow for some fun mechanics.

Those are some good ideas! Also, water types are affected by hail, I believe...

For everyone else: Let's calm down, this isn't real or anything, I was just having some fun creating some fan-stuff.

I like the weather idea. Since it's not really a PLACE, per se, they wouldn't necessarily be Stadium cards, but I'd like a different class of card.
Sub-types are a no-no. The TCG is based on the types we already have, and that would make it pretty complicated, I must say. Sure, it'd be neat at first, but it would get tedious and boring.

Love the idea. Make it simple. Replace stadiums with weather.

Water stadium; Water Pokemon do an additional 20 damage., etc

When I decide to work on cards again I'll show you a visual example...For now I shall explain. The PTCG would still have the 9 card types, but certain Pokemon would have their actual type written in smaller font underneath their name. This wouldn't change anything (just like when they put the Pokemon's level beside their name). However, they could be referenced accurately by other cards like the Weather Cards. This would also allow for more attack types and some other cool features, but the actual game wouldn't change much just like how the "lv.00" beside the name didn't change anything except for allowing LV.X Pokemon to be introduced.

Back