#6: Selective Genes

bacon

!!!!!
This weeks question is...

"Is it wrong to choose what genes a child should be born with? And where do we draw the line between acceptable and unacceptable?"

I think it is wrong. We were meant to be how we were made to be, not any other way. It's not fair that some people would have the money to give their child High Intelligence, or supreme athleticism, and other can't. It disregards our rights of being who, and what we want to be.

This is absolutely wrong as firstly:

We don't have the right to choose how our children look like, that is natures choice.
No matter how we look like or how we are suited, we are unique and are special to someone

Also if this become common then we will be inferior as beings and thus probably being killed as we have no purpose in the soon to be perfect world...

It is by natural selecetion that people should either live to reproduce or not. By giving an offspring an advantage we are doing as well as we can to make sure that only good genes are passed down, thus benefitting the human race.

Yes select the genes, don't make the child a super-human but try to use this to reduce the cases of Genetic Disorders and various other Physical and Mental retardations.

This is just wrong on so many levels. Why must people want to control everything? IMO messing around with a HUMAN LIFE is never okay. If you want to screw around with your own body, by all means, do. But if its someone else, leave them alone.

How long will it talk people to learn that messing around with natural processes is almost never a good idea? :/

acceptable: remove genetic diseases, as removing it would improve the human race.

inacceptable: make superhumans.

DarthPika said:
This is just wrong on so many levels. Why must people want to control everything? IMO messing around with a HUMAN LIFE is never okay. If you want to screw around with your own body, by all means, do. But if its someone else, leave them alone.

How long will it talk people to learn that messing around with natural processes is almost never a good idea? :/
I think it is wrong that your parents have control over that stuff. It is a shame that you have no rights before you are born.

If we remove diseases and so on. Won't the human race increase rapidly? IMO not the best of ideas. Disease and so on is a way of controlling the human race.

That would only be acceptable if we could make many suitable places to live (I forgot what they are called) on other planets.

*Sigh* Hitler all over again. This is a bad, dumb idea.

dmaster out.

Partly I say it's wrong because you can't mess with somebody's life... On the other side, if we can make humans smarter than normal our race would be more superior and such... but I think it would create a big mess... everybody with good education and such, who wants to work in a super market anymore if you know you can do better (no offense). But if we can create robots who will do it... I don't know I've to think about it, i'll post a bigger opinion from me later about this...

d master342 said:

dmaster out.

This is what Hitler did, yes. He bread humans. (=bad) Now, if they are doing this to get rid of diseases like cancer, I'm fine with it, but it's wrong if they're doing it to have "custom babies".

Forum Shark said:
d master342 said:

dmaster out.

This is what Hitler did, yes. He bread humans. (=bad) Now, if they are doing this to get rid of diseases like cancer, I'm fine with it, but it's wrong if they're doing it to have "custom babies".

You are contradicting yourself.... -.-' Really, it looks stupid. You say custom babies are wrong, yet babies that are customized to have no cancer or whatever, are okay.

I don't have my mind made up about this yet. However, I do like the idea of people becoming smarter and being able to manipulate behavior because the way it is now, I am not happy with some people that inhabit this world.

This is not a black and white question. If you support it, you are for super-people. If you are against it, you want to see people suffer.

How will you see people suffer? Without death we would be way over populated thus giving everyone a poor quality of life due to scarcity of personal space

I think that it is kind of cool. Just a form of progress and it is understandable that people would be so against it at first.

kashmaster said:
How will you see people suffer? Without death we would be way over populated thus giving everyone a poor quality of life due to scarcity of personal space

We are already waaay over populated.... >_> Even with death we are too numerous.

City people anyone? How they can survive in such a cramped space is beyond me. I guess people will adapt, healthy environment or not.

Honestly, I don't see what problems there are here. I don't understand how this could be any worse than the "natural" way, where your genes are determined more or less randomly, including the risk of life-degrading illnesses. It's not like parents could have what ever the heck they want anyway, as there will be teams of scientists and politicians deciding on what genes a kid is allowed to have. I would much prefer a fellow group of humans decide my genes than the random lottery of the sperm race.

For those of you who are quick to harp on about how we should do things naturally, well... medicine is not natural either, nor are many of the things that make society work. On the other hand, things such as cancer are natural. Just because it's from mother earth, that doesn't mean it's good.

Hitler is an unfair comparison because Hitler was evil no matter what he did. He was also an artist- does that mean we should claim art to be bad? No of course not (unless it's modern art! :D)

Your bacon-ness keeps haunting you, eh Scampy?

But in all seriousness, I think you have put exactly into words of how it is in my mind. =O However, I would have as parent some more control over what my child is going to be like and what it's not going to be like. We only know so little about what gene does what so the 100% customizable baby won't be coming for a while. However, if I had the choice a parent, I'd like to have a baby with a good immune system and a good brain. You see what I did the? Just 2 things 'adjusted'. That would make my day as parent.

afstandopleren said:
Forum Shark said:
d master342 said:

dmaster out.

You are contradicting yourself.... -.-' Really, it looks stupid. You say custom babies are wrong, yet babies that are customized to have no cancer or whatever, are okay.

I don't have my mind made up about this yet. However, I do like the idea of people becoming smarter and being able to manipulate behavior because the way it is now, I am not happy with some people that inhabit this world.

No, no, my friend, no. I was not contradicting myself. I also do not appreciate you calling me stupid. (That's what it seems you were saying. Or at least you say I am acting foolish) Let me explain my thought further. Defeating cancer=good! Gene-altering to get a kid with blue eyes, brown hair, be 6"2 and have 20'20 vision=wrong.

I'm sorry you misunderstood.

Also, is this being planned? If so, links please!

Back