BW/BW2 5th gen, good or bad?

zekrom6600

The Lord Of Thunder Zekrom
i think some of the pokemon (like zekrom and samurott) are awesome, but some (stunfisk and patrat) but the 5th gen reigon unova in the games is really cool.
but that's my opinion. do you agree?

good:D bad:(

:( bad
I don't think it was up to par with any of the other games. but i did like the bad guys and how N was like your real rival and you could like him but not like him.

There are some Pokemon that I like this Generation, like Scolipede, and many I hate this Generation, like the Conkeldurr line, the ice cream, the gears, etc. The game also has annoyingly high wild Pokemon rates, the EXP system was hurt badly, and there are no rematches, plus the starters were the worst of all time, IMO. That being said, the game was still enjoyable, but it could have been a lot better and I hope the third version will be.

I believe this gen was not the best that Gamefreak could have come up with. I have of course come back to it but this gen made my not like Pokemon as much but i am currently a fan again:D

In the upcoming stages before B/W came out I was incredibly against all these new Pokemon. They all looked really stupid and unimaginative. Coming up to release date, many were hyped and serebii was down for maintenance for the masses of people wanting to cheap their way through the game.

I got it myself a month later, rather depressingly missing the only event released so far (excluding Zoroark), but as soon as I got it, even when I hated on it as much as I did, I still got giddy over the new region and Pokemon. I played it for 6 hours that day and got quite far into it. I found myself wanting more from it, grew to the Pokemon and learned of their types. It is always fun going through a new region with only the knowledge of the past Pokemon to help you guide you through and take on the different illusions of types coming towards you. I have learnt passed games gym leaders of by heart. Finding out different gym leaders types and then finding out that I have no effective Pokemon against them was fun to say the least.

Story, Graphics and Metagame were changed and improved thanks to Pokemon White.
Environment design was done very well, unfortunately, I can't say the same about the map design. Freedom of the Pokemon world was great in HG/SS, being able to travel across regions in any way you would like, but this game didn't have anything like that, just a straight path to the finish.

New items and ways to evolve Pokemon were introduced. Plus secret places to explore. I also enjoyed finding new items and secret passageways inside the desert or the mandatory places you could go to. A lot of places and new mechanics made it keep the player more involved and this is something worth crediting.

Characters were both on the goodside and downside. N and Ghetis all looked amazing, I can't argue with that good character design and the character in general. But then you have your main character, Cheren, Bianca and the last gym leader. (I forget) These characters rub me off the wrong way. 1. Cheren is a whiny loser who never shuts up about wanting to be the best and wondering the same things N does. 2. Bianca is annoying. 3. The last gym leader is a small child.
Who did we get in the last games? Giovanni, head of Team Rocket, Blue, former champion, Claire, a dragon tamer Volkner, a guy who was about to challenge the elite 4. Then a little girl who can tame dragons just as good as Claire. I mean, sure have kids be decent Pokemon trainers. I don't know why I am arguing with a kids game that the age groups are messed up but that's what I am doing D:
Point made simple: Why are preschoolers better trainers than Ace trainers?

5th gen certainly improved on a lot of things, but it disappointed on a lot of other aspects, freedom etc.
It was a nice swing at the brand new region, but it just still begs the massive question: When are they going to merge all regions together? A MMO would be so nice.
Characters were average, Graphics were great, the RPG aspect did impress me, environments were spot on, age groups made no sense.
Overall I loved the game. However, HG/SS and FR/LG still surpass it. But nevertheless I enjoyed it.

These weren't the best games... The storyline was great, but the Unova region was boring. Hopefully they will change the games in the third edition.

There were a few Pokémon I didn't like too much at first, such as Gothitelle, but they all grew on me. So once again, there is not one Pokémon I dislike.

By the way, I currently have a Vanilluxe and a Klinklang trained for online battling. They kick a lot of butt and look totally silly doing it.

Delta said:
1. Cheren is a whiny loser who never shuts up about wanting to be the best and wondering the same things N does. 2. Bianca is annoying. 3. The last gym leader is a small child.
Who did we get in the last games? Giovanni, head of Team Rocket, Blue, former champion, Claire, a dragon tamer Volkner, a guy who was about to challenge the elite 4. Then a little girl who can tame dragons just as good as Claire. I mean, sure have kids be decent Pokemon trainers. I don't know why I am arguing with a kids game that the age groups are messed up but that's what I am doing D:
Point made simple: Why are preschoolers better trainers than Ace trainers?

Cheren and Bianca begin that way and are supposed to be somewhat unlikable, then character development happens to them. Cheren begins as a smartypants know-it-all, then gets schooled repeatedly and winds up somewhat uncertain about what he wants to do next. Bianca, on the other hand, starts out ditsy and scatterbrained, but learns to confront her father and then make decisions for herself, ultimately becoming an assistant to Professor Juniper (the younger). The idea is that Pokémon Black and White is the most story-intensive Pokémon game yet; it kind of comes with bringing in the development team behind Mother 3.

As for Iris, there is an in-game explanation for that too: Iris was born into some tribe in the wild, with a mystical ability to commune with dragons. She apparently wanted to live an urban life and was adopted by Drayden (who is the 8th Gym Leader in the Black version, by the way, which more than likely coincides with what you seem to want in an 8th Gym Leader), who then taught Iris to refine her abilities. This is why an 11-year-old girl (she is roughly the same age as Ash, deliberately designed as so) can have such high-level Dragon Pokémon: Dragon-types are pretty much all she can do, and the Pokémon she uses are actually Drayden's.

Why mess with something that's all ready good? Sure adding more plot to the game made it better, but my problem is that they tried so hard to baby me!!! TT^TT (I was like "WHAT THE FIRETRUCK?! I HAVE PLAYED POKEMON BEFORE.") It seems like there was blocks set up so that you would have to repeat it over and over for each town...
Pokemon B/W babying meatod:
1. Find a new Route :D *me threw the all the routes: YAY!!! NEW POKEMON!!!*
2. Train!!! *me threw out the 1st 5 routes: YAY!!! Let's get some new pokemon :D*
3: Bad guys... *me threw out the whole game: N! <3*
4: Gym battle!!! *Me after each loser who lost to me: Get some! >:U*
You couldn't go on untill you beated the gym.... When I notice this, I was super made >:U
Also, Here was a list I made a while ago ranting about Unova (I will give beef!!! :D)

The List:
1.THERE'S ONLY 18 ROUTES!!!
I'm sorry... But i do enjoy my routes. The more routes to more you can explore! I don't care that there's like so many other things, like super bridges or two forests! Each of their routes also seemed to only be one route (not like in the other games where Route ### was also contected with Route ###). Nope it was just one route then you'd be in a town, bridge, ect....
2.They baby you...
Never before where there nice strangers who'd happily heal up your pokemon everywhere you went. But I guess you need these guys in Isshu because every 2 steps there's another wild pokemon waiting for you... Also, explained that earlier *look up :)* That's the part about route, train, bad guys, gym.
4.It blocks you off so that you can't go any farer till you do what your supose to do
UGH! That just drives me crazy!!! I really like to go ahaed and freak out because that trainer who just spotted me has like 5 levels on my pokemon. Also, it resrcts my pokemon freedomes! xD
5.THERE ARE NO UNIMPORTANT LOCATIONS!!!
Really. Just think about? There was no where that didn't have any importance what so ever! That's why Hoenn is my favorite region. Ah... so many unneed towns ;)
6.They took out 4 charater disigns... (bug chater, beauty, bird chater, and salior)
Look at that. Pokemon just made bug chaters, beautys, bird chaters, and saliors have to file for unemployment. Now that must explain why there's a much higher wild pokemon encouter rate! Bucause there's no saliors fishing for a pokemon, bug chaters creeping around for bugs, beatuys taking home cuteies, and bird chaters geting themselves a bird!
7.They put 3 gym leaders in one gym and make you have to changle what your starter pokemon is weakest against...
That's just so unfair. They force you to tell them what your start was, then battle you with what your weak against!!! Take about a harsh begaining!
8.They took out the Deparment store
Ok yeah there's that big store on route 9. But it's a "shopping mall"... And it's no 12 stories and a roof of shopping madness!!! Also, who would put a mall in the middle of the wild?
9.They took out the Safri Zone
No more paying 500 pokedollars for a min of 30 pokemon. The closest thing to it is White Forest. But that is only if you have Pokemon White! No Pokemon Black owners may have a White Forest! Also White Forest pokemon only come out when you go into your friends' game to get pokemon to come to you forest. YOU don't have any other friends who play pokemon :'( sad times...
10.They took out the Game Corner!
Now where are my extra pokedallors gonna go?! What am I supose to do now? Go fight pokemon? Please... I wantta gamble :D
11.They didn't keep a simlar name to the japanese one. Example: english- Hoenn japanese- Hoen
No the totaly change it up. It's been the same name through out all the games TT^TT Now, while watching the anime sub, you won't know what region there in. *person who only know english pokemon names of everything: Ohmygosh!!! Look guys!!! There's gonna be this new place called Isshu! Boy, I can't wait for that game to come out.*
12.No battle fronter
Just a battle subway! :D ---> :( You would want to make your pokemon fight in an underground chamionship battle...
13.Apperently all the names of the cities are after types of clouds... well, besides for Black City...
Lame.... *facepalm* At least before they were colors or two words put togther before.
14.Not the best sprites...
If you look at all the older pokemon's sprites, these ones make them look different! Two good examples: Aracnine and Dragonite.
15.Looks like some of these pokemon are um... yay...
Well some of them did grow on me, but not all of them. I know now for a fact that I'm not the only one who thinks so... That trash one. I can't even stand to look at it. Or what about the robo ant?
16.They smashed USA toghter to get Unova, or it sounds like it... (Cap letters are the letters that when smashed toghter sound like Unova: UNited states OF America)
Yay. I found that while I was one Bulbapedia trying to figure out deeper things that I didn't like Unova. This happens to be a vary good reason. See, They should of sticked with Isshu....
17.It's got dated history no fun >:U
Where's the fun of knowing how long ago something happened! That means you can even use your imagtion! :(
18.Unova has way too many people in it: 794 population...
The highest population ever in a pokemon game... They think just because they have more people will make the game 10x better? Well, it doesn't work like that.
19.There's all ready a route 1 to route 18... Um... Kanto
Way to make the founders of Isshu look stupid.... They don't know the drill by now... Yes, I do know that they did do that to make it seem like Isshu is far way, but they did the same thing in Hoenn too. It's called they moved the the 100's...
20.You have to reface the elite four in oder to get your trainer card's star. Then ontop of it all, there pokemon's level increase by alot so you have to do more training...
You can't rematch any trainer, so there goes that great training idea. There's a huge gap between levels of pokemon on Route 10 to Route 13 and 14. So the only place to fill that gap is Victory Road, where the Robo ant hids... And that Robo ant's really hard to beat, unless you're fire TT^TT

Please nobody try to take this all personally.
I was just so angry with this game one day, that I made a rant about it and should it to all my pokemon loveing friends. I, too, thought this was a good game while I played it, but felt like something was wrong about. I finally have found those reason why I do not enjoy Pokemon White as much as I do the other Pokemon games.

PikabooPikachu said:
Why mess with something that's all ready good? Sure adding more plot to the game made it better, but my problem is that they tried so hard to baby me!!! TT^TT (I was like "WHAT THE FIRETRUCK?! I HAVE PLAYED POKEMON BEFORE.") It seems like there was blocks set up so that you would have to repeat it over and over for each town...
Pokemon B/W babying meatod:
1. Find a new Route :D *me threw the all the routes: YAY!!! NEW POKEMON!!!*
2. Train!!! *me threw out the 1st 5 routes: YAY!!! Let's get some new pokemon :D*
3: Bad guys... *me threw out the whole game: N! <3*
4: Gym battle!!! *Me after each loser who lost to me: Get some! >:U*
You couldn't go on untill you beated the gym.... When I notice this, I was super made >:U
Also, Here was a list I made a while ago ranting about Unova (I will give beef!!! :D)

The List:
1.THERE'S ONLY 18 ROUTES!!!
I'm sorry... But i do enjoy my routes. The more routes to more you can explore! I don't care that there's like so many other things, like super bridges or two forests! Each of their routes also seemed to only be one route (not like in the other games where Route ### was also contected with Route ###). Nope it was just one route then you'd be in a town, bridge, etc....
2.They baby you...
Never before where there nice strangers who'd happily heal up your pokemon everywhere you went. But I guess you need these guys in Isshu because every 2 steps there's another wild pokemon waiting for you... Also, explained that earlier *look up :)* That's the part about route, train, bad guys, gym.
4.It blocks you off so that you can't go any farer till you do what your supose to do
UGH! That just drives me crazy!!! I really like to go ahaed and freak out because that trainer who just spotted me has like 5 levels on my pokemon. Also, it resrcts my pokemon freedomes! xD
5.THERE ARE NO UNIMPORTANT LOCATIONS!!!
Really. Just think about? There was no where that didn't have any importance what so ever! That's why Hoenn is my favorite region. Ah... so many unneed towns ;)
6.They took out 4 charater disigns... (bug chater, beauty, bird chater, and salior)
Look at that. Pokemon just made bug chaters, beautys, bird chaters, and saliors have to file for unemployment. Now that must explain why there's a much higher wild pokemon encouter rate! Bucause there's no saliors fishing for a pokemon, bug chaters creeping around for bugs, beatuys taking home cuteies, and bird chaters geting themselves a bird!
7.They put 3 gym leaders in one gym and make you have to changle what your starter pokemon is weakest against...
That's just so unfair. They force you to tell them what your start was, then battle you with what your weak against!!! Take about a harsh begaining!
8.They took out the Deparment store
Ok yeah there's that big store on route 9. But it's a "shopping mall"... And it's no 12 stories and a roof of shopping madness!!! Also, who would put a mall in the middle of the wild?
9.They took out the Safri Zone
No more paying 500 pokedollars for a min of 30 pokemon. The closest thing to it is White Forest. But that is only if you have Pokemon White! No Pokemon Black owners may have a White Forest! Also White Forest pokemon only come out when you go into your friends' game to get pokemon to come to you forest. YOU don't have any other friends who play pokemon :'( sad times...
10.They took out the Game Corner!
Now where are my extra pokedallors gonna go?! What am I supose to do now? Go fight pokemon? Please... I wantta gamble :D
11.They didn't keep a simlar name to the japanese one. Example: english- Hoenn japanese- Hoen
No the totaly change it up. It's been the same name through out all the games TT^TT Now, while watching the anime sub, you won't know what region there in. *person who only know english pokemon names of everything: Ohmygosh!!! Look guys!!! There's gonna be this new place called Isshu! Boy, I can't wait for that game to come out.*
12.No battle fronter
Just a battle subway! :D ---> :( You would want to make your pokemon fight in an underground chamionship battle...
13.Apperently all the names of the cities are after types of clouds... well, besides for Black City...
Lame.... *facepalm* At least before they were colors or two words put togther before.
14.Not the best sprites...
If you look at all the older pokemon's sprites, these ones make them look different! Two good examples: Aracnine and Dragonite.
15.Looks like some of these pokemon are um... yay...
Well some of them did grow on me, but not all of them. I know now for a fact that I'm not the only one who thinks so... That trash one. I can't even stand to look at it. Or what about the robo ant?
16.They smashed USA toghter to get Unova, or it sounds like it... (Cap letters are the letters that when smashed toghter sound like Unova: UNited states OF America)
Yay. I found that while I was one Bulbapedia trying to figure out deeper things that I didn't like Unova. This happens to be a vary good reason. See, They should of sticked with Isshu....
17.It's got dated history no fun >:U
Where's the fun of knowing how long ago something happened! That means you can even use your imagtion! :(
18.Unova has way too many people in it: 794 population...
The highest population ever in a pokemon game... They think just because they have more people will make the game 10x better? Well, it doesn't work like that.
19.There's all ready a route 1 to route 18... Um... Kanto
Way to make the founders of Isshu look stupid.... They don't know the drill by now... Yes, I do know that they did do that to make it seem like Isshu is far way, but they did the same thing in Hoenn too. It's called they moved the the 100's...
20.You have to reface the elite four in oder to get your trainer card's star. Then ontop of it all, there pokemon's level increase by alot so you have to do more training...
You can't rematch any trainer, so there goes that great training idea. There's a huge gap between levels of pokemon on Route 10 to Route 13 and 14. So the only place to fill that gap is Victory Road, where the Robo ant hids... And that Robo ant's really hard to beat, unless you're fire TT^TT

Please nobody try to take this all personally.
I was just so angry with this game one day, that I made a rant about it and should it to all my pokemon loveing friends. I, too, thought this was a good game while I played it, but felt like something was wrong about. I finally have found those reason why I do not enjoy Pokemon White as much as I do the other Pokemon games.
The fact that the game was linear is indeed an issue. However I do not believe that it is something to hate on. Series has linear games and outlandish games. This was a linear game, although it did bring up complications, I don't think it is that big a deal.

Your...3 (or 4 apparently) quotes are sound. Indeed babying and linearity were hell to go through the game. 4 Gyms in, in Red version, then you could challenge, more or less any gym leader in any order, allowing access to all but one town.
However, point 5 really grabbed my interest. Why the sudden want for unneeded towns? And besides, there were 3 unneeded locations in B/W. All of the post game towns were useless and unnecessary.

Taking out certain sprites didn't bother me all that much but it's good to see someone who noticed such a small detail. These types of trainers come common and now that I remember back I missed going through all of the trainers through viridian with a charmander XP

The point about the gym leaders is no big deal at all. You get a Pokémon that can fend of said type, so if I found nothing wrong with that.

I also agree with the environment design of where the big shop was placed. I guess it’s to make up for that fact that there is a Pokemarts in every pokecentre. That’s what bugged me too. The pokecentre is way too crowded. So if someone wants to buy their shopping they have to pry their way through trainers? A major design floor but why am I complaining about this when a dugtrio can create earthquakes by hiding its head…

Safari Zone and Game Corner was missed sadly, I did spend hours in the game corner on the slots and Voltorb flip but no more.

I…I see no problem with the name of the region.

Battle Subway is the exact same as Battle Frontier, and it has the funky Red Vs Blue remix after 21 battles.

What is your affixation with the names of locations? Outlandish colours sound cool and so do cloud formations.

Better sprites are something of opinion through all the new games. However I strongly agree with your decisions on Arcanine and Dragonite, especially Dragonite. A smiling Dragon? Dragons are supposed to be serious and cool. Not a friendly beast.

Isshu does sound cool.

As they kicked up the story in B/W I think it would have been better if more people were effected by the events that were about to transpire. I like that there was more people, more to talk to and fight.

YES THANK YOU. Route 1 to 18 already exists, I am not sure when 5th gen is set but I completely forgot about how angry I was about the route names. Hoen was like what? Ruote 100’s? And HG/SS had routes in the 30’s.

I was a little shocked by the level jump, but as soon as I brang over some Pokémon from HG/SS I stormed through the game.

It is a very mish mash game. Your post helped me realise that this game isn’t as good as I thought it was. Thank you :]. I wish I could emphasize on some of these great points but I haven’t got much time. This post alone along with my first one is big enough. I have to post this in word because I am typing so fast. My grammar would be awfull otherwise.

A smiling Dragon? Dragons are supposed to be serious and cool. Not a friendly beast.

What about Latias? (Dragonite has always been portrayed as a big oaf, by the way.)

Am I the only one who likes Unova better than Isshu? What's wrong with having the highest population? Some other region had the highest population before, why does this one matter? Also, clouds>colors.

Nothing is wrong with having the highest population. Personally, I see it as a plus because it makes the region appear more lively.

Ophie said:
What about Latias? (Dragonite has always been portrayed as a big oaf, by the way.)

Dragons I thought were meant to be cool and a sign of danger. Remember when you heard about Lance in FR/LG? A dragon tamer, how cool does that sound? You walk up to Lance in the final phase of the Elite 4 and you see that Dragonite looking off into the distance. Wondering what it was weak to. And then it hits you and completely destroys you. Lance put a great name to dragon tamers as did Claire. Veteran trainers at the peak of success, training for years. Dragon Tamers in the normal game began to become more common and they were tough take on, in Pokemon ingame standards anyway.
Lance said himself that Dragons are strong and hard to raise. Dragons have no place looking happy, friendly animals raised by kids. They should be fierce beasts ready to rip your team apart if you make one mistake being trained by people in legend wearing capes.

That's what I think anyway. I played through FR/LG when I was young so I used my own experience.
There are exceptions to every...rule? Without a better word to describe it. I say Dragonite should be one of the more intimidating Pokemon because it was the - first - real - Party Smasher in-game. So much build up when you go into a game when you can go through the entire game not knowing a whole type.

What if I don't like that portrayal? You can see by my avatar image that I don't. Plenty of nonthreatening dragons have since existed, such as Puff, Snapdragon, and all those characters in Dragon Tales.

Anyway, Dragonite, as I said, has always been that way. For instance, one of the early portrayals of Dragonite was in the first movie, when it was little more than an oversized messenger pigeon. And it enjoys doing that.

As I said, there are always exceptions. I made it clear that I think many of the catchable dragon types that appear in Pokemon should be feared. Dragonite, Salamence, Rayquaza, Hydreigon ect. But I have no qualms with some dragon types like Latias or Latios not being broad and epic. It's just that I think other types have that covered, and Dragon is the only type that could stand up to that title.

I suppose it's up to the artist and what the purpose of the Pokemon is used for.

Delta said:
5th gen certainly improved on a lot of things, but it disappointed on a lot of other aspects, freedom etc.
It was a nice swing at the brand new region, but it just still begs the massive question: When are they going to merge all regions together? A MMO would be so nice.
Characters were average, Graphics were great, the RPG aspect did impress me, environments were spot on, age groups made no sense.
Overall I loved the game. However, HG/SS and FR/LG still surpass it. But nevertheless I enjoyed it.

An MMO would kill the Pokemon video game franchise and Nintendo/Game Freak wouldn't do that since they are still making sales off the Nintendo DS for Pokemon and other titles. Merging all the regions together would be a bad idea, unless they put in a Pokemon game with the big Next Gen Consoles like the Nintendo Wii or the Wii U similiar to the Pokemon Stadium games or better yet release a sequel for Battle Revolution. Would it kill Nintendo/Game Freak to release it for Gen 5 so you can Wi-Fi battle in 3D like in Gen 4? Why give us a new Pokemon Rumble game?

As for 5th Gen, I enjoyed it. Game Freak did an amazing job improving gameplay and the graphics as well which with the Wi-Fi battles makes Gen 5 stand out from the rest. The only downsides were no EV Reducing Berries (unless you transfer them from the Dream World), and no Vs. Seeker to re-battle Trainers you've already beaten that helps with EV Training your Pokemon. Of course level grinding is always a pain unless you use PokeSav, it's always been that way with Pokemon games.

I don't like how Dream World Abilities are hard to get ahold of and we have to wait til they are released for specific Pokemon. If you're lucky enough to find people who have good DW Pokemon like Drizzle Politoed and Drought Vulpix then more power to ya. Having to spend hours on end trying to get to the next level in the Dream World just so you can also get the EV Reducing Berries for EV Training your Pokemon is a rough task to accomplish. You're also grinding to get specific abilities of Pokemon from the Dream World as much as it takes to get a Pokemon up to Level 100 for Competitive Wi-Fi Battling.

For other stuff I did like in 5th Gen I liked how they improved Flat Battles in Black/White as well as merging the Poke Mart with the Pokemon Center so that's a plus there. As for Move Tutor moves I don't like how Heart Scales are harder to get ahold of compared to 4th Gen where in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum where you could just dig underground for them via Wi-Fi. The Infrared feature from the C-Gear makes Wi-Fi battling a whole lot easier, as well as being able to access the GTS throughout each Pokemon Center instead of having to go to one place to trade globally like with Jubilife City in DDP and Goldenrod City in HGSS.

Oh, if you need a Heart Scale, I can give you some. I carry a bunch of Pickup Pokémon with me, and I have like 16 Heart Scales.

Delta said:
It is a very mish mash game. Your post helped me realise that this game isn’t as good as I thought it was. Thank you :]. I wish I could emphasize on some of these great points but I haven’t got much time. This post alone along with my first one is big enough. I have to post this in word because I am typing so fast. My grammar would be awfull otherwise.

It's okay! :D Your welcome.

Shadow Arceus said:
Am I the only one who likes Unova better than Isshu? What's wrong with having the highest population? Some other region had the highest population before, why does this one matter? Also, clouds>colors.

Maybe you are? But if you REALLY REALLY love it so much, instead of questioning, you should come up with a comeback.

Grizz said:
I personally liked it. I liked most of the Pokemon, and I liked the music as well.

Oh snaps... There were two or three tracks that I really enjoyed for this game....

Back