News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

I really want to use M Pidgeot. I am not really sure if the three colerless for 130 and some disruption is really worth mega evolving for...? I guess it could be usable with DCE. I always have liked powerhouse pokemon with a 0 retreat cost. And, pidgeot does not really have to worry about that electric weakness now that joltik is gone.

Unless raikou decks get big, that is.

Im working on a few list myself to see how I want to use it. I may have 4 different decks for this.

Raikou does less damage but it doesn't discard its Energy either; with a Fighting Fury Belt to buff it to 160 HP and -20 damage from its Ability, in my early testing it trades well with almost everything else. The new Zapdos can do 170 for four... once. Then you have to invest another four Energy, should it survive. Unless you are facing Fighting Types (when it obviously has the edge) then Raikou has 10 more HP (plus while the Ability is working, takes 20 less damage). It might cost more Energy, but Raikou can also load up to take down targets bigger than Zapdos can OHKO; yes this is tricky and risky but it can be done. This does give Zapdos a potential use though, but I don't know yet if Magnezone decks are really going to take hold or not. Also despite being hard on it earlier, because hey it really has been badly nerfed, the new Electrode might actually work backing up some of the Lightning Evolutions that just cannot fit into a deck with Magnezone.

I wish to point out that these are not mutually exclusive and/or may not need to be balanced.

Players are the most demanding and the smallest group... but very little of what they want will negatively impact the average collector.

Collectors can still be demanding, but much of it can be done in a way that makes players happy there are collectors out there. Release a competitive card and now released a Full Art version that is an Ultra Rare or Secret Rare. The player can use either, but if the cost difference is significant and he or she isn't the type who feels the need to bling out a deck, the version more tempting to the collector can be traded or sold to the collector. Of course done wrong one or both party's feel cheated, but done properly both feel enriched; the player is going to value the collector targeted card less than the collector.

The problem is when "collector cards" are their own separate thing. We don't need more filler, especially when it has the potential to not be filler but a valuable card. You know, like Tropical Beach. @_@

Oh... and before either collectors, players, or collector/players think themselves the most important... there are people who don't really play or collect and just get a booster pack on a whim or as a "toy" or just because its Pokémon. They may only do this a few times a year, or maybe once a week, while a collector or player is buying a box or two of each set but these "Neither" players outnumber the rest of us by a significant number. At least that is the impression that I get. ;)
Ok I see your points on both topics. On the balance topic, I get it. You can't please everyone.

I must say, I'm VERY excited for the full arts in this set. Gonna try and get every single one! I just hope the art is good enough, but I'm definitely aiming for the starters, Raichu's full art (because I don't have enough damn Pikachus), and Misty's determination. That card will sell big, and I would bet money on that. All of these cards will, simply because this sets single purpose is to farm dollar bills on nostalgic players and newer fans alike (because that's the REAL purpose of the TCG. Come on. You know it's true. Why else would Charizard, Mewtwo, and Rayquaza be just about everywhere?).

I must say, I'm VERY excited for the full arts in this set. Gonna try and get every single one! I just hope the art is good enough, but aim definitely aiming for the starters, Raichu's full art (because I don't have enough damn Pikachus), and Misty's determination. That card will sell big, and I would bet money on that. All of these cards will, simply because this sets single purpose is to farm dollar bills on nostalgic players and newer fans alike (because that's the REAL purpose of the TCG. Come on. You know it's true. Why else would Charizard, Mewtwo, and Rayquaza be just about everywhere?).
What do you mean Raichu full art?

Ok I see your points on both topics. On the balance topic, I get it. You can't please everyone.

Actually that means I messed up on the balance topic. >_< The point actually was that while you can't please everyone, you can please most.

What matters to players versus collectors versus player/collectors versus ? may be different, but they do not need to conflict. The pickiest are the players, and as they are the smallest group (I think) it is tempting to think they matter least, but what they want is the least likely to conflict with the others. The ? group, people who don't really play or collect but just buy sporadically only care that this is Pokémon. Maybe about it being cards or having a certain price point. Don't mess that up and you'll keep them happy. Collectors need something to collect; don't mess that up and you keep them happy. Player's want a good, fun game; don't mess that up and you'll keep us happy (or as close as we come to it ;) ). If they shoot for the players, they can get the other groups as well.

Actually that means I messed up on the balance topic. >_< The point actually was that while you can't please everyone, you can please most.

What matters to players versus collectors versus player/collectors versus ? may be different, but they do not need to conflict. The pickiest are the players, and as they are the smallest group (I think) it is tempting to think they matter least, but what they want is the least likely to conflict with the others. The ? group, people who don't really play or collect but just buy sporadically only care that this is Pokémon. Maybe about it being cards or having a certain price point. Don't mess that up and you'll keep them happy. Collectors need something to collect; don't mess that up and you keep them happy. Player's want a good, fun game; don't mess that up and you'll keep us happy (or as close as we come to it ;) ). If they shoot for the players, they can get the other groups as well.
While players may be small, we don't matter the least, or should be thought of that way. The prizes given out at tournaments support this. Now maybe to please collectors, TPCi could do something where if you have completed a certain set, then you get a unique promo. To obtain the promo, they could have collectors show their completed set to someone at a Pokemon Center, or open smaller "Pokemarts" to accomodate this, and give another way to get Pokemon-direct products, as Centers are few and far between. Not sure if you've ever been to Nintendo New York, but it's pretty pathetic. $290 got me 1/3 of their selection lol.

I think Conversion 1 and Conversion 2 are better than the new attack, as they don't say until the end of your next turn :/

Also, what is the point on removing the [P] resistance? I think it should be added again to [C] type pokemon

I think Conversion 1 and Conversion 2 are better than the new attack, as they don't say until the end of your next turn :/

Also, what is the point on removing the [P] resistance? I think it should be added again to [C] type pokemon
I agree. They make a colorless Dragonite and give Pikachu and friends Metal resistance but nerf Porygon? He's bad enough already.

Psychic resistance was removed from Colorless for balancing when it was added to Dark type.

It didn't matter anyway. When the Pokémon retreats, the effect goes away.

Switch, Escape Rope, Stand In, Pokémon Ranger... Why does this even exist? :p
Aye; it would have made for a good "Coming into play" Ability, and if that was too good, then as a "KO this Pokémon" or maybe having it act like a Pokémon Tool F, turning itself into one that attaches and changes the Weakness of the target. Basically, anything other than an attack. It is just too hard to use... not even well, but in a mediocre fashion. XD

Psychic resistance was removed from Colorless for balancing when it was added to Dark type.

Reminds me of how the Types probably need to be redistributed. Well, what we really need is for them to be condensed or abandoned; s'always been an iffy mechanic though when it debuted in the original Game Boy it kind of made sense to give cards more depth. In the video games though it probably should have been abandoned once individual Pokémon could be more complicated, and features for them could be recorded separately (like, ya know, being based on a winged creature instead of "Flying" as a Type).

The 30 extra hp is nice I guess. Can't say it would be used unless they print a nice porygon- Z in an upcoming set. Oh well porygon has not seen much splendor in the TCG.

Back