News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Blakey Blake

Aspiring Trainer
Why no butterfree? Theres alot of pokemon that evolve on here that don't have there evolutions like No Butterfree, Rapadash, Genger, Weezing, Sandslash, Dodrio.

BitterFox

Keep swapin' shoulders
Why no butterfree? Theres alot of pokemon that evolve on here that don't have there evolutions like No Butterfree, Rapadash, Genger, Weezing, Sandslash, Dodrio.

Base set never had a Butterfree, or any of those other Pokemon for that matter. We didn't see those until Jungle/Fossil. Since Evolutions is just a reprint series, while it would have been nice to see them, it also wouldn't have made much sense (even though there is a few inconsistencies like Mew). The actual exclusion of lines like Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Dratini, etc is probably the bigger issue.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
I didn't think they would actually translate Imakuni?'s Doduo. I think it's the first time they include a spoof card in an English set, iirc.

Edit:
Actually, there was Imakuni? himself in Generations but it's also very recent.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I didn't think they would actually translate Imakuni?'s Doduo. I think it's the first time they include a spoof card in an English set, iirc.

Edit:
Actually, there was Imakuni? himself in Generations but it's also very recent.
Yep we need Imakuni?'s Exploud EX line and Shining Imakuni?

vinicius rodrigues

Aspiring Trainer
tumblr_og64e1J0bC1qg0jcgo1_400.jpg

Attachments

• 1ec22187594a82e0c3ce6904c6b82a79.jpg
    1ec22187594a82e0c3ce6904c6b82a79.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Base set never had a Butterfree, or any of those other Pokemon for that matter. We didn't see those until Jungle/Fossil. Since Evolutions is just a reprint series, while it would have been nice to see them, it also wouldn't have made much sense (even though there is a few inconsistencies like Mew). The actual exclusion of lines like Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Dratini, etc is probably the bigger issue.
Agreed on the exclusions. There's really no reason to exclude them either. I'd add the Alakazam line to that, as well. And there's no excuse to exclude them because of that nonsense Kadabra issue with Uri Geller because they already solved how to evolve without Kadabra with the Abra from Mysterious Treasures! (That and Rare Candy.) But it seems Pokemon has forgotten about that because that was the last Abra printed, back in 2007--almost 10 years ago. (Probably has been 10 years in Japan.)

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
I wished they atleast kept the Japanese holo pattern.
Is that little Raichu even holo or regular rare?

MegaCentral

Aspiring Trainer
I am still pissed that theres no Venusuar or Blastoise Holo... they have so many incomplete evolution lines, why not replace those? Or even add the lines and make the set bigger? There is really no good excuse to not include them.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
I wished they atleast kept the Japanese holo pattern.
Is that little Raichu even holo or regular rare?
Raichu is a holo.

BTW, you can get so many Secret Rares in this booster box. Because they are in the uncommons.

TheRealBro..

Yeah, some choices may seem weird (the incomplete evolution lines for example) but it is staying true to the Original Base Set.

I also get that they could not include every card of that set because of the new cards included (Mega's/Full Arts). The set would grow pretty large.

In my opinion this really is an awesome set despite feeling incomplete here and there. This is of course from a collectors point of view. The box looks good, the boosters look good and opening those packs feels as good as it did in the good old days! If that was what they were aiming at they did a pretty good job.

Maybe that's why they abandoned EX's/Full Arts for the Sun&Moon TCG.. After these cards it will be hard to surpass them!

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
If they included the Venusaur and Blastoise line, the complaints about this set would have been much less if any. If they included these six cards it would've been better for all parties, which would make the set more sought after. They just needed to change some numbers and attack description.

TheRealBro..

If they included the Venusaur and Blastoise line, the complaints about this set would have been much less if any. If they included these six cards it would've been better for all parties, which would make the set more sought after. They just needed to change some numbers and attack description.

Yes, would have liked that even more too, but I choose to look at what's there, instead of what is not and that is a lot in this case ;) The Full Arts look absolutely amazing and I just opened a pack with 2 Secret Rares, a reverse rare Charizard and a Venusaur EX.. This set is a 9/10 in my book.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Personally, I'm fine with the lack of Blastoise and Alakazam. Venusaur bothers me a little, since it would just be a marginally better (it would probably be limited to Grass energy, but Forest of Giant Plants is a card) Golduck BREAK, and not potentially alter the format like Blastoise or Alakazam would have. (Plus Alakazam has the unfortunate Uri thing, even though they could make a Kadabra if they really wanted to. Incidentally, I see why they haven't done the Mysterious Treasures route again. It's confusing for kids to see an "evolves from Kadabra" without there being a Kadabra.)

The thing that bothers me about this set is actually the rarities. I get that going for the same cards that were holo in Base Set is kinda cool and all... But it means that a lot of the holos in this set are some of the worst that have ever been printed. Cards like Magneton and Clefairy would be uncommon or common these days.