News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Fully expect a couple more old-card reprints here along the lines of Generations Slowpoke. The fact it's a "Concept Pack" might make this more likely, or I could also be way off base, lol. I guess now's as good a time as any to reprint Base Charizard again, alongside Venusaur and Blastoise. (At this point, I feel like Blastoise would be a welcome addition to the format, and, barring Charizard's resistance, which didn't stop its Stormfront print, Blastoise is the only one of the three with any real issues, since balancing could be a factor.)

If the Starter trio isn't a thing, I'll go ahead and throw Base Ninetales and Pikachu out there as relatively safe predictions.

Gruffling

Aspiring Trainer
So the real question is how are we going to get this set? With Generations coming out all the way through December there's not a lot of room for it to be a special side set.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
So does that mean we can expect this 20th anniversary set to be part of (or all of ) our November release. Including M. Slowbro EX? Or will we instead receive the two EX's and the spirit link through another collection box?

Okay, quick rundown time. Here is what we still need:
M. Beedrill EX: Released w/link in Japan's CP4. Awaiting collection announcement
M. Pidgeot EX: Not released
M. Slowbro EX: Just announced w/link here, at least for Japan.
M Steelix EX: Coming in Steam Siege, but haven't seen it yet.
M. Sableye EX: Not released
M. Sharpedo EX: Not released, should have done this in Primal Clash
M. Camerupt EX: Not released, should have done this in Primal Clash
M. Salamance EX: Not released yet
M Latias EX: Not released yet
M. Lopunny EX: Not released yet
M. Pinsir EX: Not released yet
M. Medicham EX: Not released yet
M. Banette EX: Not released yet
M. Garchomp EX: Released in Japan as a promo w/link. Awaiting collection announcement.
M. Abomasnow EX: Not released yet

The list does not include alternate types, which we know is feasible thanks to M. Charizard (X)EX being done in Flashfire and Generations but is probably not too likely at this point to happen.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
So the real question is how are we going to get this set? With Generations coming out all the way through December there's not a lot of room for it to be a special side set.

Depends on what the contents are. If it's mostly reprints, it may not be released in English at all, outside of the few unique cards/promos (like the Slowbros) which could probably be lumped into a regular English set, probably the December set based on timing.

If they do release the set as a bunch, it's a bit too large to be included as a mini-set like RC; 87+SRs is the size of a regular Japanese set, after all. I think I would place my money on it being sold in special multi-pack blisters like Double Crisis or Dragon Selection. If they wait to release it until January, it wouldn't be competing with Generations at all.

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
Ok so we won't get full art for slowbor,it's strange for collectors that not all MEGA can have full art cards
Agree with this. It would've been brilliant to collect!

Half arts will have to do :(

I don't see why we don't get Mega Pidgeot and Pinsir in this set too

Pikachu6319

Scooby
Ok so we won't get full art for slowbor,it's strange for collectors that not all MEGA can have full art cards

That ship long sailed there my friend. We have no mega full arts for anything from XY to Phantom Forces, instead getting secret rare gold bordered versions of the original M EX's. We didn't start getting full art megas until Primal Clash. To say nothing about the last four collections that had megas in them with no full arts or the three megas in Generations that also lack full arts.

I don't see why we don't get Mega Pidgeot and Pinsir in this set too

In all fairness we don't know the content of this set yet. We might very well get Mega Pidgeot and Mega Pinsir here.

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Here's what I think: This is our last XY set. Despite being advertised as a concept pack in Japan, the thing is, unlike Premium Champion Pack (which was released 1 month after Awakening Psychic King - our Fates Collide), this is being released in September, following the pattern of Japanese sets being release every three months (Blue Shock/Red Flash were released in September too, for example).
From what I understand from the news post, the set will have secret rares, mimicking regular japanese sets in that way too. While they may be reprints, I doubt they'll be exact reprints like Premium Champion Pack. But I think they are indeed new cards (and hopefully we'll get Mega Pidgeot and Pinsir since this set focus on Gen 1).
So, after this the next japanese set is supposed to be released in December, after Sun & Moon already came out, meaning the next japanese set will most likely be the first Sun&Moon set.

How does this translate to us in the west? Simple, weather this is a set of reprints w/ new artwork or new cards, we need something for our November release so my guess is TPCi will treat this as a regular expansion and make this our last XY set.
Sun & Moon are released in that month but we get our Sun&Moon set in February as usual, with maybe a starter set a bit earlier to bridge the gap, in the same way they did it at the beginning of XY...

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
So does that mean we can expect this 20th anniversary set to be part of (or all of )
M. Sharpedo EX: Not released, should have done this in Primal Clash
M. Camerupt EX: Not released, should have done this in Primal Clash

I think we should've gotten those in the Team Magma/Team Aqua set

That ship long sailed there my friend. We have no mega full arts for anything from XY to Phantom Forces, instead getting secret rare gold bordered versions of the original M EX's. We didn't start getting full art megas until Primal Clash. To say nothing about the last four collections that had megas in them with no full arts or the three megas in Generations that also lack full arts.

In all fairness we don't know the content of this set yet. We might very well get Mega Pidgeot and Mega Pinsir here.

A bit strange that they wouldn't be on the cover then or revealed now if Pokemon like Ninetales and Starmie are...

Last edited by a moderator:

AgentMFilms

The Anti-Meta One
Yeah I don't see why they didn't or at least make those two the other Megas in Primal Clash.
To add those two Mega Evolutions into Primal Clash would have made it a set with SIX Pokémon-EX :p you're both right in saying that they would have fit better into Double Crisis.

Numelz Numelz

Ariadoney Clear Nail Polish
Here's what I think: This is our last XY set. Despite being advertised as a concept pack in Japan, the thing is, unlike Premium Champion Pack (which was released 1 month after Awakening Psychic King - our Fates Collide), this is being released in September, following the pattern of Japanese sets being release every three months (Blue Shock/Red Flash were released in September too, for example).
From what I understand from the news post, the set will have secret rares, mimicking regular japanese sets in that way too. While they may be reprints, I doubt they'll be exact reprints like Premium Champion Pack. But I think they are indeed new cards (and hopefully we'll get Mega Pidgeot and Pinsir since this set focus on Gen 1).
So, after this the next japanese set is supposed to be released in December, after Sun & Moon already came out, meaning the next japanese set will most likely be the first Sun&Moon set.

How does this translate to us in the west? Simple, weather this is a set of reprints w/ new artwork or new cards, we need something for our November release so my guess is TPCi will treat this as a regular expansion and make this our last XY set.
Sun & Moon are released in that month but we get our Sun&Moon set in February as usual, with maybe a starter set a bit earlier to bridge the gap, in the same way they did it at the beginning of XY...
ah. I see

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I think we should've gotten those in the Team Magma/Team Aqua set

If they had made those in Double Crisis they would have likely been owner Pokémon and I wouldn't want that. Glad they weren't in that mini set. But maybe some kind of premium set would have worked for them too.

Oh and note the package cover says dummy on it, meaning it's not the official packaging for it at all.

Last edited:

Tails19950

Aspiring Trainer
If they had made those in Double Crisis they would have likely been owner Pokémon and I wouldn't want that. Glad they weren't in that mini set. But maybe some kind of premium set would have worked for them too.

Oh and note the package cover says dummy on it, meaning it's not the official packaging for it at all.

I for one wouldn't mind it,cbetter than not getting them at all in my opinion. Doesn't necessarily mean they'd have to be owned either, could've been a bonus like Absol and Jirachi from the first team aqua/magma set

And you're right...I did see it said dummy... Butnreally? star minerals Ninetales before the two Megas?
I'm not staying hopeful