News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I for one wouldn't mind it,cbetter than not getting them at all in my opinion. Doesn't necessarily mean they'd have to be owned either, could've been a bonus like Absol and Jirachi from the first team aqua/magma set. And you're right...I did see it said dummy... Butnreally? star minerals Ninetales before the two Megas?
I'm not staying hopeful

Well yeah, they could have been bonuses. Ah well, no sense worrying about that it's over and done. It is inevitable in my opinion that we will have at least on version of all the mega pokemon at some point. I would prefer they not be owned, especially by the bad guys. Again, over and done so it doesn't matter now.

Judging by CP4 I have very little faith that we'll have one, let alone both, of the two gen 1 megas. Heck, judging by CP4 most of those cards might be 99% reprints. But we can always hope at any rate.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Oh and note the package cover says dummy on it, meaning it's not the official packaging for it at all.

It would be really ugly packaging art if it were. :p

However, dummy art usually does showcase Pokémon that will have some meaning in the set, just with stock Sugimori art haphazardly thrown about rather than a proper full art. It's likely that all 6 Pokémon shown will be featured in the set, but that doesn't mean that other Pokémon won't be, obviously.

For me, I'm kind of half-hoping that the set will be a spiritual reprint of the Japanese original "Expansion Pack" (in English known colloquially as Base Set), kind of like what people were speculating originally about Generations. Cards could use the old artwork and designs but be updated to modern power standards. After all, the 20th "Anniversary" and "Expansion Pack" text being used, as well as the pack setup (10 packs with a guaranteed holo, like the original "Expansion Pack"), do point to an homage of sorts.

I don't actually think that's likely, though, as the existence of SR/UR cards (not actually confirmed, but strongly hinted at) points to newer set design, since there were no SR/UR cards in ye olden dayes of Pokémon. Perhaps it'll be more like 20th/Generation in that some cards use the original artwork. Or maybe they'll just toss some EXes/Megas in. Or maybe there will just be secret FAs of blown up Sugimori art!

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
The idea of not getting a full art pidgeot and m pidgeot EX bugs me. I dont want them to make EX cards for the sake of making them. I want them to feel special and not rushed out since people are waiting for these cards. A lot of these Pokemon will have these cards as their first ultra rare so they need to be impressive.

benaji

Aspiring Trainer
Just not that interested... premium champion was a chance for me to get the ex cards I didn't getfrom all the sets I didn't buy.

This is blagh, I'll stick to the dream collection, banking on that being good :^)

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Correction: Pinsir and Pidgeot.

But anyway, I already suspected the set would still have EXs and Megas at least so I think there's a strong possibility of Mega Pinsir and Mega Pidgeot to be in the set...
Again, I also think this is the japanese release that has the Kanto and Pikachu FA cards from the 20th anniversary boxes.
I'm actually hoping the set has FAs of the Kanto Starter Megas... in the same way I was hoping for FAs of the Kalos trio in CP5 but with Shiny Xerneas and Shiny Yveltal apparently taking the places of the secret rares, now I find it unlikely. So, I may be wrong in regards to this set too.

Last edited:

SupremeLeaderQuagsire

Aspiring Trainer
Base Set reprints? Awesome! I hope this is our November set, maybe mixed with Japan's CP4 and CP5.

And hey, maybe this will be the set that @crystal pidgeot finally gets his Mega Pidgeot-EX.

Katie

Aspiring Trainer
Again, I also think this is the japanese release that has the Kanto and Pikachu FA cards from the 20th anniversary boxes.
If this set does come to the West, I wouldn't think that the FA cards would be in this, but rather like a separate blister pack thing, like how Jolteon, Golem, Vaporeon, Meostic, Ninetales, and Leafeon was in our Generations set but was in a Battle Strengthening set in Japan.

crystal_pidgeot

Bird Trainer *Vaporeon on PokeGym*
Can this be the set I get my Pidgeot EX? I'll like it to be a full art too so I can dump my wallet but for some strong reason I'm sure it will just be Charizard EX with mega X and Y.

Nahiri

Never gonna be President now
I'm down, as long as they're not the super-generic Sugimori artworks. The attacks are more than welcome as well - powerful, but not game-breakingly so.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
Ooohhh! That's going to be fun! A September Set which is still under the BW-XY format. I'll going to look forward to that. I'll just keep guessing what are the possible cards for XY12.

Crimzonlogic

I'm Batwoman.
Please oh please let them reprint the awesome Venusaur, Blastoise and Charizard with the original star foil pattern but with more modernized attacks and hp! I would love them! :)

Pikachu6319

Scooby
In a way that would be awesome, the return (again) of Rain Dance. I don't know how much that would be worth in this format but it was my go to deck in the old days.

Zygarde

Z-Dawg
From all the things that could be potentially playable from Base, Fossil and Jungle, I find it funny that Starmie is being featured as a reprint on the mock up. Like, 3 energies for 20 lol.

I hope all the cards get updated but keep their artwork, like what happened to Tauros.

P3DS

UK VGC Regs Champ 2015
Hopefully we have the original starter trio returning, with the same abilities. Venusaur would replace the aromatisse decks, and forest of giant plants really would pair ell with it. Charizard would be pretty cool too. and blastoise would bring back powerful water decks. Let's see how it goes

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
They should not only reprint the cards but also have the same attacks which require less energies for attacks. Damage output and HP should also bump up. Basically the only thing reprinted will be the artwork and the attack name.

It would be better this way, but it looks like it's for collection only and not for playing.

As suggested in the article, they might just be like the Tauros card in generation where only the artwork is from base set but attacks from the most recent Tauros card.