News 20th Anniversary Set in September + Surfing Pikachu and M Slowbro-EX!

Does that mean that Charizard / Pikachu / Blastoise / Venusaur will be reprinted in the English sets as well, with nearly identical artwork to the Black Star Promos ones?

they should have had blastoise in this set:( it would be fun to bring back that ever-amazing water acceleration. at least the leaf trans venusaur tho! although that could be a bit op with FOGP.they should have made hitmonchan be the best card, like he was in the past, like give him 70 damage attack for 1 then 3 for 140. a gengar would have been nice, even though it wasnt in base set. at least we got dragonite ex tho. could be good for mray. and with ratata, they finally answered our prayers for tool removal! jklol. also they could have thrown in scyther, even thouugh it was from jungle. would have been redeemable set with some of those or maybe a trainer and make oak's hint oaks new theory but otherwise, full garbage set:( get it together pokemon. stop making terrible sets or no one will want them. first fates collide with just mega alakazam and n, then steam siege with only ranger, ninja boy, volcanion and yanmega, now this garbage pile here? get it together.

That Haunter caught my eye, with that 80 damage attack for two (or one in Expanded) Energy. Hypno and something like Keldeo would mean you're always hitting 80+ damage, which is impressive from a Stage 1.

-And after all of that I'm still in the sorely disappointed camp. They really should have trimmed out some of the Pokemon families that don't have their full stages for the other two starter families. Sure the set would have been a bit more water logged but not including normal versions of the starter Pokemon is a big mistake for a set trying to sell on nostalgia. The better Pokemon of this set also don't do anything remotely like their Base Set counterparts and some are flat-out worse.

While I wasn't expecting the return of the Energy Removals they didn't do anything interesting with the power items back in the day. Not even make them into supporters. I would have loved to have had a Pokemon Breeder Supporter but no Full Heal is back. While I do appreciate not printing Oak straight up as a discard hand and draw seven making him a draw to seven then end your turn is really bad. More so the ending of the turn is not what you want your once per turn cards doing. Brock's Guts is the best Trainer Card in this set and guess what? There was no Brock card in the original Base set at all. Also they should have used the artwork for Misty's Wrath for this print of Determination:

MistyWrathGymHeroes114.jpg

I don't what to dislike this set but they have fumbled so badly with it I don't want to buy any of it. I'll most likely either trade for what I want or buy secondhand.

I just don't get this set... It fails at being very nostalgic to me, given how very different many of the attacks are, as well as missing so many key cards that made them so great. No Blastoise/Venusaur Lines, so many incomplete lines that other early sets easily completed (and this set has cards from those sets!), missing trainers, and even nerfs to the Pokemon compared to the high power gap in modern times... What exactly were their intentions when making this set?

I'll bet this: Online, the packs of this set will probably end up having the lowest trade value. It probably has the fewest competitively viable cards compared to any other set in the standard format right now.

I was super excited to see all the retro cards, but they didn't print some of the best ones. I'm pretty unhappy that there wasn't a Blastoise/Venusaur line. I personally adore Venusaur and I'm more that annoyed that Charizard got the reprint but the other two didn't. I'm not buying a booster box of this set, it's just money-bait.

So yeah, that's my thoughts on the set. Too much Charizard, Too many unfinished evolution lines, and very few of the cards are even playable, let alone good.
While I agree this is a very weak set competitively (I'm only interested in Starmie, and Electrode for nostalgia sake), I can see how it's primarily meant to be a nostalgia trip for those who collected the original set. I get the feeling TPC was conflicted between staying true to the original set and staying true to the modern power creep that's naturally developed since then, which explains why nearly every Pokemon is "middle of the road", between the two extremes.

Speaking personally, I wouldn't have minded much if every Pokemon had completely new attacks, as long as the art stayed identical. But I can see how that'd upset other people who would've indeed preferred the attacks and effects to stay as true to the originals as possible. Honestly, I see this as a blatant collector's set and nothing more (with the exception of like 3 cards), which makes my collector side happy, at least.

To me, the truly unforgivable decision is the exclusion of Bulbasaur-Ivysaur and Squirtle-Wartortle. I can't think of any rational justification for that. It's quite possibly the stupidest decision since "10 Mewtwos."

So knowing that this is the japanese set I understand that we will most likely be getting the gym badges in here, as well as arcanine break? And guys dont worry about the XY black star promos, japan had never got those so that is why they are in that set, we will most likely be getting something close to the original XY artwork, or even just a straight up reprint

I'm holding out hope that Imakuni's Doduo will be included in the US release of the set, they released Imakuni in Generations so it's definitely possible.

Raticate does WHAT?
I know that Drifblim from Dragons Exalted attacks for free and have more life, but this little thing needs to hit 1 energy less to 1hko regular Ex'es, and if youre lucky enough to hit the 4th, you can bring down megas like theyre flies.
Definitely have to build this one.

Really dissapointed on no Delugetoise reprint.

Why Porygon and no Clefable?????

Look at it this way, you'll save some money this release.

Prof Oak is amazing, some of the trainers are good. Dragonite-EX is cool. Everything else is garbage.

Why Porygon and no Clefable??

Porygon was in base set and Clefable wasn't. Several of the lines in this set are incomplete even for the First Generation because they weren't in the original base set. Sure we can have Brock, Misty and The Rocket Trio who weren't in Base set but we can't have Pokemon that weren't in it unless it's Mew, an EX or a Break.

This set makes me sad...

Prof Oak is amazing
Haha, no. The fact that he takes up your Supporter for the turn and promptly ends your turn makes him really bad. No one's gonna use this guy over Sycamore or N, because they give you draw power and let you continue your turn.

I get that they tried to avoid giving us the original Oak in full effect because they knew he'd be absolutely broken, but turning him into a Tropical Beach that takes up your one Supporter is not the way to give us a playable Oak.

Does no one else think Farfetch'd is going to be a cool addition to most decks, especially ones that run Fury Belts. I think he'll be an awesome first 2 turns annoyance, lol.

The look on that far left Exeggutor head made my day, and probably my week! Obviously that will all be gone if news comes out that it will not apear in the English set..

Where is the Arcanine BREAK that was revealed last month? Wasn't that a special promo for September’s issue of CoroCoro Ichiban :)

Well, after spending so much time posting and organizing the cards, I actually get the time to properly look at and think about them! :p I think there are a lot of missed opportunities (no Venusaur or Alakazam line! D:), but overall, I'm still pretty happy. Despite the missing cards that I would have loved to see, there's still quite a lot of fun cards to be had here, and the collector in me is happy. I was really stoked to see that one of my absolute favourite cards of all time (Here Comes Team Rocket!) makes an appearance as a UR as well. :D

Since I can't afford to continue collecting into the Sun/Moon block, this is at least a fitting end for me.

English Set SR prediction:
109/108 Exeggutor
110/108 Charizard (promo)
111/108 Surfing Pikachu
112/108 Imakuni's Doduo
113/108 Here Comes TR

My Evaluations:
  • Arcanine - the ability reminds me of Machamp Prime ... a bit, but the attack is "nah!"
  • Raticate - Interesting! So many players playing bunch of Spec. Energy Cards like Giratina's.
  • Raichu - Meh!
  • Machamp BREAK - I want this with the FUF/GEN Machamp so it'll be OHKO machine.
  • Poliwrath - Interesting!
  • Nidoking - NEXT!
  • Revive - Ooohhh! A reprint from Roaring Skies.
  • Clefairy! Clefairy! - Too high attack cost for the Metronome. Zoroark BREAK is still better on that.
  • Ninetales - Needs more Steaming Volcanions.
I'll give you some reasons why most cards in the Base Set aren't in this one:
  • Similarities:
  1. Blastoise - Blastoise (BCR)
  2. Pokemon Center - Max Potion
  3. Bill - Tierno but much better.
  4. Pokemon Flute - Target Whistle
  5. Lass - Ghetsis
  6. Trader - Pokemon Comm.
  7. Item Finder - Dowsing Machine?
  8. Comp. Search - an ACE SPEC card of it.
  9. Prof. Oak - Prof. Sycamore probably Kukui in SM1.
  10. Impostor Prof. Oak - Red Card / Judge
  11. (Super) Energy Removal - Hammers
  12. Clefairy Doll - Robo Sub
  • Reasons:
  1. Venusaur - Some of players only care Venusaur. They only focus on Charizard.
  2. Alakazam - Kadabra is still BANNED!
  3. Jynx - Racism issue.
  4. Pidgeotto/Dragonair - They debuted as Regular rares in the set. It'll be absurd if they become rares again in the set.
  • Guess:
Imakuni?'s Doduo, Ooyama's Exeggutor are some cards that afilliates the Japan events. US cards won't do that and they never ever afilliate those cards like that to the Japan events.

(No Super Scoop Up??!!)

Back