(2) Legendary's Ken Sugimori Artwork, Japan's VG Qualifier Rules Announced

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The Pokemon look diffent from past generations and some are based off the 3 Musketeers? Weird LOL. Is every Pokemon in this generation based off of something or were they created from scratch?:)

Tensho

Aspiring Trainer
In my opinion Torneros and Voltros should be viewed as a duo and Landros their master. The musketeers in my eyes including Keldio is either the first ever quartet or a trio and a reverse master (because the trio teaches Mystery Sword to Keldio).

Mew the source of all

Just keep on trying!
Very interesting. The VGC made what I consider a wise choice, especially if it translates over to the US as it puts everyone on even ground with new pokemon who have been taking their time to get situated into tiers. However if it comes over to the US it gives an unfair advantage to the US players who owned a Japanese B/W game, and got their team prepped in such a matter.

The art for the trios is very cool giving the 'Cloud Trio' (nice classification BTW) nice art, and the musketeers nice detail, especially Terrakion.

masterryanx

N
Advantage? Sure. However, I fail to see how those owning a Japanese copy possess an unfair advantage. Most everyone has the option to import a copy if they so choose.

Gish

Spaceboy.
Anyone see a change in Sugimori's art style since DP? It looks more 3D-ish so to speak. It's kind of hard to explain.

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
Aside for Virizion I'm not really fond of the rest of the musketeers or raijins, even Viri kinda looked to me like Shaymin's great aunt. Then again for each new generation's legends I usually find myself having only a few clear favourites

PokéMontage

Kakuna Matata - what a wonderful phrase!
I'm still not the biggest fan of these legends compared to past ones, but as I said in the other thread, Sugimori art has a way of making things look pretty awesome regardless. I like Virizion the best despite the fact that it looks like it was directly inspired by Skymin.

EDIT: pretty much what XieRH said, lol.

Shiramu Kuromu

ΩR/αS Pokémon Contest Master
Eh, I hear alot of people calling them the Djinn Trio rather than the Cloud Trio. Makes more sense in a way....

Unfallible

im more perfecter then u :P
Compare Terrakkion to this if you will. It's probably totally coincidental but its still funny.
250px

TheLegendaryAceBall

Self-Proclaimed Pokemon Veteran
I think Djinn trio and Cloud trio sound good, and accurate for that matter. But Raijin Trio sounds so awesome to me. But I guess that's what I get for reading so much Fairy Tail.

SinnohTrainer17

ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
Wow, the Musketeer trio, imo, looks amazing! They're my favorite legends of the generation, easily. The Cloud trio, on the other hand, still says "meh" when I look at them. I'll admit that they do look a bit better in KS artwork. I can't wait to see more KS art ^_^

XieRH

Aspiring Trainer
SinnohTrainer17 said:
I'll admit that they do look a bit better in KS artwork.

Sprite can never beat a sugimori art. That is why there is the phenomenon of people loving things they previously disliked once they see the Sugimori art. In a way you could say it is the magic of art, whereby a certain portrayal of something can shift a person's likes and dislikes of the thing itself.

Myself I tend to judge the design directly so if there's a pokemon design I dislike, essentially I'd dislike both the sprite, and the artwork of it.

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I was really expecting Triples...I guess that will probably be the next year and they'll allow Pokemon from all the Generations. This will certainly be an interesting VGC, that's for sure, at least if the US adopts these rules (really no reason not to).

The Sugimori art is looking better. These ones have a lot of detail that the sprites just can't show.

dmaster out.

King Arceus

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I really don't like what the new format for VGC is if this is what we are going by. I have a feeling the meta will not be very diverse. The only good thing is that it will be less I have to study for when I go to be a part of the staff.