2 Energy Attacks

DarkPkmnTrainer

Aspiring Trainer
How do decks that have an attacker that needs 2 energies to attack (not double colorless) do in this metagame? From what I've noticed, popular decks like Jumpluff, Donphan, or Gyarados need 1 or less energies to set up, which is great when one needs to be replaced due to knock out. I'm asking because I came up with a cool deck idea, but the attacker I want to use needs 2 energies for the attack, which disillusioned me a bit. Is it too slow?

Now that decks like you mentioned hit hard and fast, it's just a tad bit slower. Recovery can be a problem, but I think you should he OK. What are you thinking of?

Firstly I wouldn't exactly call Donphan or Gyarados popular decks anymore. They're tier 2 at best, as is Jumpluff (although Jumpluff is a bit more of a contender, imo).

But, it all depends on what the reward is. If you're not doing any more than those decks are doing, but it's costing one more energy, then you're not going to succeed. However, if you make up for the extra energy, go for it.

The Mismagius can work if you work it with Vileplume and Spiritomb. The lock that you can hold all game long can slow down the low-energy decks enough to allow Mismagius to work its magic.

I don't think 2 energy attackers are too much slower than Pokemon that only need one energy to attack. If you build a good consistent deck, then you should be able to start hitting right away on your 2nd turn.

2 energy attacks are too slow. The main reason why Flygon, Raichu, Regigias, Amphy, and many others are non existant in the meta.

Those are mainly 3+ energy attackers...
Interestingly enough, there aren't a lot of GOOD 2-energy attacks when compared to the 1-energy ones (Dragon Pump, Dragon Steam, Earthquake, Take out, Shadow Room....) or 3-energy ones (Power Swing, Speed Impact, Psychic Lock...), as they are mostly found on Stage 1, who tend to find themselves too frail to compete with the stage 2's, and too slow to compete with the basics.

If the deck requires two energy minimum to perform any sort of attack (excluding the basics where they hit for like 10 or whatever) then they'll generally be a tad slow on the recovery/speed aspect of the game. The best example that came to my mind was Dusknoir. Sure it has two attacks but in order to use its first attack for any sort of decent damage it requires two energy cards and there's no way to cut it back. But for Pokemon that have a first attack that costs one energy card and a second attack for two (like the Mismagius) then I can see it potentially being decent/good.

I really really really dont like the mismagius. Gengar SF is SOOO much better. A great first attack, the same second attack, more HP, and one of the best poke powers in the game right now. Plus, it has a great basic, gastly that can trainer lock.

My prediction:

T1
Sablelock
Luxchomp
Donphan

T2
Kingdra
Machamp
Gengar w/ Vileplume
Vespiquen
Charizard
Jumpluff

T3
Walls with Scizor/mewtwo/umbreon
Legends w/ legend box and reverse time dialga

Commence the argument.

Sablelock not so much. Was it even around at worlds? I think it'll suffer from LuxApe syndrome - popular briefly but tossed aside in favor of better decks
Luxchomp is aduh
Donphan has a few annoying counters, mostly in the middle-lower tiers. Kingdra, Jumpluff, Charizard, they all give Donphan headaches.
Kingdra's placement will depend on if it can find a proper way to stop Luxchomp from ruining his fun.
Machamp will be used by everyone who thinks it autowins teh format but then finds out that its still easily beaten
Gengar/Vileplume is sluggish. I feel Mismagius is a better partner for Vileplume for speed issues.
Vespiquen is an interesting card, but I dont think the new Combee is enough to shoot it up high
Charizard is too clunky. Pure Typhlosion I see as being better
Jumpluff will still be used, albeit not as much as now.

Decks I think have a shot at T2 and above:
Steelix - It really is an insane tank when pulled off properly. Can use Engineer perfectly which is arguably the best draw card in format.
Houndoom/Weavile varieties - Better disruptors then Sableye is, annoying weakness on Houndoom but he can retaliate pretty well.
Psychic SP varieties - With the rise of Machamp, having access to both Toxicroaks (Able to cope with both Machamp and Luxray) will be a boon. I mostly see openings for Gallade, who'll need to preserve his sprays for Chomp.
Pure Gengar - Uxies and Azelfs will be easy snipe fodder for him, though he'll always need little helpers to get to that 7th damage counter. Varieties on this will be pretty strong. Also can have a good SP matchup.

Lou Cypher said:
Charizard is too clunky. Pure Typhlosion I see as being better

I agree with most of what you said, except this line. I think the problem is everyone is running charizard wrong. I run 4-4-4 charizard and 4-4 ninetales with a rapidash 4 tech. Its the most consistent stage 2 deck i've seen in MD on.

PikachewTofu said:
I personally think the best draw in the format is Palmer's Contributation, but that's just me.

Palmer's Contribution doesn't make you draw cards, it allows you to recover cards.

I wouldn't worry about it. You can set him up on the bench and you'll be fine. The problem with the one energy pokemon is they can't lay the heavy hit. Pokemon like tyranitar that are being lost could be used in great decks but they're getting overshadowed by 1 energy pokemon. As long as this two energy attacker can deal a good amount of damage it's worth it.

{D}{W}

i dont understand why two energy pokemon are slower than 1 energy pokemon.
the way the game works, as to my understanding, is that you can only attach one energy per turn. so unless u are completely set up on T1 and start attacking, there is really no difference imo when compared to a 2 energy attacker.

Back