(2) Dragon-type Symbol Revealed, Raikou EX from 'Dark Rush' [12/9]

alexmf2 said:
Raikou/Elektrikk/Vileplume anyone?
Raikou-EX for BCIF, 2012!

I like it in anything using electric energy. It's also a great Reuniclus counter in any ZPST deck. It might not be amazing in Magnezone, though. It will probably give Terrakion even more reason to be played, too. Definitely the best EX we've seen since Mewtwo, although we'll have to wait to see just how much impact it has. Almost all of the EX's are at least somewhat playable with Eviolite, although pretty much everything is worse than Mewtwo.

I like this symbol a lot, I though it was going to be a claw or a fang, but this is way better. I am glad Dragon type Pokemon are getting their own symbol cause Dragon type Pokemon are my favorite!

DNA said:
Dragon Rush is either:
~a portmanteau of Dragon Collection and Dark Rush
or
~a Dragon-type move that, outside of Garchomp C LV.X in the TCG, should never be used

:p

Haha. While I meant Dragon Selection initially, I am, indeed, super excited for both, so I guess my subconscious made everything work out just fine. :D

I like it. I didn't think they would go with this color scheme since electric's looks awfully similar, albeit a bit darker. I really liked the fan-made design on here that won the contest.

Cool symbol! Looking at the booster pack, it was kinda predictable that it would be gold-like. The symbol itself looks like a mini-Rayquaza...
Can't wait to see the cards...

That Dragon-Type Symbol is just... Perfect. It's better than I expected. (The shape of the dragon reminds me of Arceus' head, which is also pretty awesome.)

Much like Entei EX, that Raikou EX has the coolest Raikou card artwork ever, in my opinion. Hopefully Suicune will follow suit.

I see people playing Raikou EX...but not doing as well as Zekrom could be doing. Raikou EX just has a bit more HP, does a bit less damage but hits anything, doesn't take recoil, and makes you discard energy. Sure, the sniping COULD be good...in a format without Catcher. With Catcher, you can drag up something and hit it hard as a pseudo-snipe. With Catcher, sniping is pretty much useless in this format, so I honestly don't see Raikou EX getting much use.

And the Dragon symbol is...okay, but it could be better. It just looks like a C with Victini's ear on it.

I think the Dragon Type is quite fitting, resembling Dratini from the first generation after all. My only problem is that it just looks more like a serpent (as Dratini is one) than a generic European dragon.

don()shinobi said:
I see people playing Raikou EX...but not doing as well as Zekrom could be doing. Raikou EX just has a bit more HP, does a bit less damage but hits anything, doesn't take recoil, and makes you discard energy. Sure, the sniping COULD be good...in a format without Catcher. With Catcher, you can drag up something and hit it hard as a pseudo-snipe. With Catcher, sniping is pretty much useless in this format, so I honestly don't see Raikou EX getting much use.

Sniping isn't useless at all with Catcher in format. Think of it this way: Catcher up some fat tech, then snipe what was active. That way, they're stuck with something they don't want out, and their attacker is either KO'ed or close to it, and if its knocked out, then they don't get to choose something with no retreat to get out of the active spot (like cleffa), as they might not be able to afford the retreat cost at that point. Then, if you play it right, you can snipe another up and coming threat next turn, as their massive-retreat-tech is sitting there picking its nose.

TacoTurtle said:
I highly doubt that this is a "one-of" thing. There hasn't been a new type since the Gen 2 era, so this is a major change to add now. Furthermore, they will be printing basic (and maybe special) dragon energy, which alone qualifies as a reason to keep it going. Why create a whole new type, which has the potential to drastically change the face of the TCG, give it basic energy, and give it all the support it undoubtedly get with this set, just to never use it again?
Has printing of basic Dragon energy been confirmed?

There have been many 'drastic changes' to the TCG that get phased in and phased out; this feels different because it changes the very template of some cards, but nothing stops it from being as ephemeral as dual types, Lost Zone mechanics, and an obvious litany of other things... (and nothing keeps either of those from returning, mind).

Raikou with: Pachirisu, Shaymin, Victini, Eelecktric, there are so many possibilities!

I also love the dragon symbol and can't wait for the crazy cards that may be in that set.

Love the new symbol, love Raikou EX SOOOOOOO much!!! :D Gotta have it!

Wow the new Dragon Symbol is awesome. Better than my prediction of a Dragon Scale. The Symbol looks like a Flying Rayquaza in a way that it makes it look cool. I also like the Raikou card too XD.:)

well well well how could I have missed a new type :O whatever they do I gotta save up my pennies and pray they don't release this until well in the spring (these cards will change the meta most likely and I need time to prepare)

Raikou is meh although I will kill any unaware bench pokemon if you not careful (donphan/conkeldurr anyone?) I know this is a little off topic but I think Entei is the better EX (*thinks Reshiphlosion*)

DMYSYS said:
Has printing of basic Dragon energy been confirmed?

There have been many 'drastic changes' to the TCG that get phased in and phased out; this feels different because it changes the very template of some cards, but nothing stops it from being as ephemeral as dual types, Lost Zone mechanics, and an obvious litany of other things... (and nothing keeps either of those from returning, mind).

Well, it hasn't been confirmed, I jut kind of assumed that if there is a new type then there would be new energy. (Looks at the floor and scuffles feet in shame). And you make a valid point: dual-types and such did get phased out. However, none of those changes actually introduced a whole new type to the game. It just seems kind of stupid to introduce a new type, giving dragon types the recognition they deserve, and base an entire set off of it, only to stop printing the new type and put dragons back to being colorless.

I can't find any confirmation of this anywhere -

The Zoura set is taking the place of the (now apparently known that even the species was a placeholder) Umbreon set, right?

I was going to ask if it would be in the same boxes as the new playmat ones as well, but I just noticed the price difference.

TacoTurtle said:
Well, it hasn't been confirmed, I jut kind of assumed that if there is a new type then there would be new energy. (Looks at the floor and scuffles feet in shame). And you make a valid point: dual-types and such did get phased out. However, none of those changes actually introduced a whole new type to the game. It just seems kind of stupid to introduce a new type, giving dragon types the recognition they deserve, and base an entire set off of it, only to stop printing the new type and put dragons back to being colorless.

I'm the contrarian argument by far -- I think permanent fixture or eventually phased out are both equally likely whereas everyone else seems to figure the new type is here to stay; had it been a new type introduced with the first BW set I'd also figure it's a permanent mechanics update.

EeveeLv99 said:
Sniping isn't useless at all with Catcher in format. Think of it this way: Catcher up some fat tech, then snipe what was active. That way, they're stuck with something they don't want out, and their attacker is either KO'ed or close to it, and if its knocked out, then they don't get to choose something with no retreat to get out of the active spot (like cleffa), as they might not be able to afford the retreat cost at that point. Then, if you play it right, you can snipe another up and coming threat next turn, as their massive-retreat-tech is sitting there picking its nose.
Most things with high retreat in this format can be easily charged up with Emboar, Pachi+Shaymin, Typhlosion Prime, and such. Have you considered that things with high retreat aren't useless in the active spot?

Back