(2) Dragon-type Symbol Revealed, Raikou EX from 'Dark Rush' [12/9]

New dragon type, alright! Looks great. It's about time dragon types got some recognition in the TCG. Can't wait to see these guys hit the US shelves.

Also, the Raikou looks awesome. I'm anxious to see the Suicune one (since there is Entei and Raikou now.)

I kinda wish it wasn't yellow, orange or maroon or anything else would have worked better than yellow...also the symbol looks odd as well...

I think the texture may be orange-ish, Tobi_Akatsuki's_Idiot. It'll be a different shade than Lightning, at the very least.

A lot of these upcoming cards seem like they have a lot of potential (ignoring retreat cost, of course)
Raikou might only have one retreat cost, but with trainer lock rearing its ugly head everywhere in this format, playing a switch might not be possible. It NEEDS to get on the bench for Elektrik's ability.
I can see someone putting the HBPD Vanilluxe (2-1-2 line maybe?) in as a tech for its warp point ability, but with Rare Candy's new secret formula (and again, trainer lock) it's less viable than Flygon was back in its day, or even Palkia Lv. X... Just get the sundae out before the flower blooms. Or the stage 1.
Raikou is extremely viable. However, if you want to snipe for 100, Blastoise or Suicune/Entei Legend is overall your better bet.
Although teaming Raikou up with Zekrom (or even Thundurus if you're a honey badger) can be more intimidating, as Zekrom can hit the defending Pokemon harder. Plus since Lightning decks are more common today, playing Water can be a bad idea.
Now comparing these to Mewtwo EX, who has the ability to be self reliant (as in needing little to no techs), Entei EX and Raikou EX are utterly useless. Let's just cross our fingers for Suicune EX.

Basically, slot a few Raikou into most Eelektric decks and bob's your uncle. Also, loving the new symbol. Dragon types are gonna be cool.

EeveeLv99 said:
Raikou might only have one retreat cost, but with trainer lock rearing its ugly head everywhere in this format, playing a switch might not be possible.

The new stadium Skyarrow Bridge (from Psycho Drive) gives all basic pokes one less retreat cost. With it, Raikou (and Thundurus if you play it) have a free retreat cost. This means that you could technically be rotating between two Raikous, with on the bench being set up with Eelektriks and the other attacking. Next turn, you switch the active Raikou with the one that is set up on the bench (using free retreat, of course) and pretty much repeat the process. And in this deck, you could start with Thundurus to discard energy foe Eelektrik to use.

Holy cow, now that I'm thinking about it, this might be a good idea. Now I want me some Raikous. :)

Tobi_Akatsuki said:
I kinda wish it wasn't yellow, orange or maroon or anything else would have worked better than yellow...also the symbol looks odd as well...

Dark purple or light blue would be cool, too.

Ah, such an awesome news post! I'm super excited for Dragon Rush; between the new Dragon typing, the holographic cards, and more older pokémon coming back to the TCG, it's incredibly exciting. I love the blister packs for Dark Rush, too; Lilligant Promo, hurray! I'm going to be spending a lot money in the new year, but that's what tax returns are for. >_>

I don't mind the gold, but they could've done a nice light blue or teal.

Raikou EX looks very studly.

Artemis said:
Ah, such an awesome news post! I'm super excited for Dragon Rush; between the new Dragon typing, the holographic cards, and more older pokémon coming back to the TCG, it's incredibly exciting. I love the blister packs for Dark Rush, too; Lilligant Promo, hurray! I'm going to be spending a lot money in the new year, but that's what tax returns are for. >_>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL on the tax return comment! Thanks for reminding me! Now I know what to spend it on

Artemis said:
Dragon Rush is either:
~a portmanteau of Dragon Collection and Dark Rush
or
~a Dragon-type move that, outside of Garchomp C LV.X in the TCG, should never be used

:p

That Dragon-Type symbol looks interesting. I thought it would be orange with a dragon's head in the middle, but gold with that slash is just as cool IMO.

Normally with all of the EXs, Raikou EX looks amazing. Those playmats look cool too.

Pleasantly surprised, I was still betting against it being an actual new type. What'll be interesting from hereon in is if this new typing is perpetuated in future sets going on, to what extent it'll be represented, or if this is a one-off thing.

DMYSYS said:
Pleasantly surprised, I was still betting against it being an actual new type. What'll be interesting from hereon in is if this new typing is perpetuated in future sets going on, to what extent it'll be represented, or if this is a one-off thing.

I highly doubt that this is a "one-of" thing. There hasn't been a new type since the Gen 2 era, so this is a major change to add now. Furthermore, they will be printing basic (and maybe special) dragon energy, which alone qualifies as a reason to keep it going. Why create a whole new type, which has the potential to drastically change the face of the TCG, give it basic energy, and give it all the support it undoubtedly get with this set, just to never use it again?

Back