(2) All Names Possibly Revealed, More 'Black' and 'White' English Names Revealed [1/13]

When I see Excadrill I think of Excalibur and Drill but I am probably wrong on that one.

These probably sound a lot worse if English is your second language.
Just some more explanation/speculation to add to the ones on page 10:

Victini - Victory + tini (tiny) like Dratini
Snivy - Snake + Ivy (sounds snooty)
Servine - Serpent + Vine; "Servile", obsequious or pretentious
Serperior - Serpent + Superior, much better than Rhyperior; "superior" is also a synonym of arrogant
Tepig - Tepid + Pig
Pignite - Pig + Ingnite
Emboar - Ember + Boar
Oshawott - Ocean? + Otter "Oshawa" is a city in Canada and may have a pertinent Native American meaning
Dewott - Dew + Otter
Samurott - Samurai + Otter
Patrat - Patrol + Rat
Watchog - Watch + Hog, like "Watchdog"
Lillipup - Lil' + Pup, little pup
Herdier - Herd + Terrier
Stoutland - Stout and perhaps what is supposed to be a breed suffix like in the dog "Newfoundland"; (Yorkie from Yorkshire, England;Scottie dog from Scotland)
Purrloin - Purr + purloin
Liepard - Lie + Leopard
Pansage - Pan (a genus of apes composed of the Common Chimpanzee and the Bonobo; also, maybe something to do with Hinduism? or Pan the Greek god of nature) + Sage (a common name for many types of shrub)
Simisage - Simian (of or pertaining to apes & monkeys) + Sage
Pansear - Pan + sear
Simisear - Simian + Sear
Panpour - Pan + Pour
Simipour - Simian + Pour
Munna - The "sleepy town of Munnar" JK Muninn (Old Norse "memory" or "mind")
Musharna - MUSH (Multi-User Shared Hallucination) [like the Dream World] + "Arna, Norway" Why not if "Muninn" is Old Norse? IDK Arna (Latin for Lamb) Count sheep???
Pidove - Pidgeon + Dove
Tranquill - Tranquil + Quill
Blitzle - Blitz (German for "flash", "lightning", or "thunderbolt"; Norwegian for "flash")
Zebstrika - Zebra + "Lightning Strike"?
Roggenrola - What WPM said... "Rockin' Roller/Rock n' Roll"
Boldore - Boulder; "Dore" (a group of mountains in central France)
Gigalith - Giga (Greek for "giant") + Monolith
Woobat - Woo + Bat
Swoobat - Swoon + Bat
Drillbur - Drill + Burrow/Bur (a surgical drill;a mass of hard siliceous rock surrounded by softer rock;a blank punched out of sheet metal;a protruding, ragged edge raised on the surface of metal during drilling, shearing, punching, or engraving;a dental drill; small, hand-held, power-driven milling cutter, used by machinists and die makers for deepening, widening, or undercutting small recesses.)

Roggenrola is an incredible name.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind Cofagrigus? The minor swear is not a big deal, and it's not that hard to pronounce!

Serperior is a bit hard to forgive though, it just doesn't gel with the design. Yeah, I get it, it's "superior", but the name isn't elegant enough to compliment the actual Pokemon. Serperior sounds bulky and rough.

If Cobalion's Japanese name was just that and his English name was Cobalon, you'd probably still be upset.

I'm pretty happy with most of these names, anyway.

Some of these (Archeops, Elgyem) are really great, and I hope they are the real names. Others (Throh, Eelektrik, Timburr) are just bad.

Excadrill? Change it to Expelliarmus while you're at it. Whatever it is, every generation has its crap. Im pretty thankful that we didn't get worse Pokemon designs. I seriously laughed at Cofagrigus. Well maybe it has the word 'friend' in it. Anyway, i like pretty much all the names, but still, can do much better. Can't wait to play.

Excavate, like excavating for fossils.

These are actually all pretty good. Throh and Sawk and atrocious though. The only thing I don't like is there are LOADS of "or", "ur", "dur", "dor", etc name endings. It was SO predictable that most people would give a nonchalant "hmph, these are awful, NOA suck." response, like with absolutely everything else to do with this Gen. Just read them over a few times. When I got Gold version I only knew the Japanese names. It was a bit odd, but I now love most of Gen 2's names.

Just because the Japanese names sound more exotic or whatever to us doesn't make them any better...=P

Also: Suicune, Pidgeotto (if you hadn't watched the show), Gyarados, Cyndaquil, Gardevoir, Pachirisu and Illumise (and more) aren't exactly easy to pronounce for kids (or anyone), for those saying they must be fake on that basis. Or at least look complicated, much like these names.

And for the stupid/simple ones: Hoothoot, Muk, Seel, Electrode, Bagon (lol), Mew, Slaking.

[/obligatory early-gen-wasn't-much-better-in-that-department post]

Ones I love:

Sigilyph, Oshawott, Excadrill, Cofagrigus*, Tirtouga, Solosis, Reuniclus (said like "reunion" for those not sure about the beginning), Vanilluxe, Escavalier, Galvantula, Eelektross (would've prefered Elektross though), Fraxure, Haxorus (!), Volcarona (VERY nice)

*it's a variation of sarcophagus with an "f" (from "coffin" at the beginning?)....I hope no one's _genuinely_ actually concerned and being fussy about that 3 letter word in there. Shall we get a petition to change the name of the Grass type, or Silcoon and Cascoon (not going into detail there)? No.

over here in the UK, we use the word 'friend' just for another word for a cigarette, i take it has an offensive meaning in the states?

Lol at people be so immature about "friend" being in Cofagrigus's name. It was supposed to be "phag" from Sarcophagus, but was shortened due to the 10 character limit guys. T_T

Besides that, these English names are amazing, IMO. Most of my favorites would be the punny names like: Roggenrola (Rock n' Roll pun, lol!), Sawsbuck (Saws referring to Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring), Eelektrik (they could've just used Cs instead of Ks though), Krookodile, and the almighty Foongus n' Amoonguss (I really think it's supposed to sound like "fungus among us". And the more complicated names like: Haxorus (one of the absolute best names, I think), Cofagrigus (it's fun to say :B), Escavalier, and Hydreigon.

When I look at some of these names (especially Roggenrola, Foongus and Amoonguss), I instantly feel the Kanto vibe. The names are so punny, that they just remind you of the more simpler days with Pokemon. That's something that I adore about these names. So if they end up being fake, then that'll be quite a disappointment. :<

EDIT: Well, I was just looking trough these comments, and I'm pretty surprised that people actually DON'T like these names. C'mon peoples, they're almost a mirror of the even more uncreative Kanto names. Heck, look at Seel, Muk, Ditto, Jynx... ugh, the list goes on. Maybe it's just my opinion, but I don't see what's there to hate with these names. <33

I think one of the most creative is sawsbuck.
It takes all four seasons+buck. (Summer Autumn Winter Spring).
Patrat is my least favorite, making it even more fun to faint.

No offense, but I wish some people could grow up a little and not complain about Cofagrigus with the word 'friend'.
It simply means cigarette (In Britain) and in America a gay person. I mean, I have a best friend whose gay andwho loves Pokemon like me.. well. He's a little offended browsing through forums to see the Cofagrigus jokes..

Just sayin'.

Some of these names I hope and pray are not real. Wargle sounded American! I can't believe they changed it to something like "Braviary", that sounds like some stupid nickname one of my friends would give his pokemon. I'm going to nickname mine Wargle.

Cofagrigus is/should be pronounced "cough-a-grig-us." Kids will be kids, but phonetically, this shouldn't be an issue.

And for the poster a few pages back asking about Deerling, I assume it's a combination of Deer + Yearling (which is a young deer). There was also a popular Children's book here in the USA called "The Yearling."

@MasterMooCOw: Oh, good catch--and spot on! It's probably a pun on all three words (deer, yearling, sapling) though, since that means they get the dual-type pun out of it, instead of just making it "deer, young deer."

Yep, the list of English names are real.....well, they already started to grow on me! Anyway I can't wait to see this movie, when it comes to USA!

My original post:
I'm just going to wait for an official announcement and the fervor of hate to wear down. I really don't care what GF names most of these guys because I never made myself learn the japanese names... I don't have any attachment to some other name.

Also... the news post says it's a list of English and ITALIAN names. Are we sure that some of those names aren't for the European versions of the game? Bronzong is Archeodong in France. ArcheoDONG. I actually searched one out on the GTS so I could make jokes about it. My friend in Germany traded me Bidoof with thier German name of Bidiza.

Anyway.. it's not that big of deal. A couple months ago everyone was made because they didn't like how the new guys looked. Now the appearance hate has died down.. the names are what's hated now. Har.

Nikohesus: ^Wrong, first Italy never changes the English names. Second those were the Italian classifications and not the actual names. Third some of the names were officially revealed after the list was made.

Ok... how am I wrong? I was ASKING if we were sure that wasn't the case. I simply used in an example where the name was different. I don't know anyone in Italy so I haven't trade for thier pokémon. Next time maybe you should actually tryin' reading the response a little closer before your so quick to label them wrong. As for names being released after the list was made doesn't mean anything. Some pokémon names are universal across several languages (ie: Pachirisu).

Bobby903: Oh, Black and White Pokemon, how do I loathe thee? Let me count the ways...

1. Serperior - Just a Rhyperior ripoff. Seriously, GameFreak? Why don't you just make a Yangrowh or a Tanmega? That's creative.

Wow.. and all of the pokémon from earlier gens with King, Don, or Dos in thier names don't bother you? Nidoking, Seaking, Kingdra, Slowking, Rhydon, Donphan, Gyarados, Zapdos, Ariados.... none of these bother you? Is it only the suffix -perior that you hate? That's too bad. You do realize that superior is what that snake thinks it is to you right?

@MasterMooCOw
I don't know....

The list could be real and then again it could be fake. But for the names that have been officially revealed, I am ok with all of them! Like I have said before, They may sound weird now because they are new, but we will all get used to all of the English names.

Musharna kept it's Japanese name like Munna, as some people hoped.

Now I wonder what Iris's and Dento's English names will be....Since Dento is a gym leader, I would expect them to get revealed real soon....

Back