(2) All Names Possibly Revealed, More 'Black' and 'White' English Names Revealed [1/13]

Bianca doesn't sound like the name for a ditzy and extravagant blonde white girl.

Also,

musharna-3.jpg

It appears if you read the text box, what's Game Sync?

This is the whole dialogue with Fennel translated:

<< Fennel's room >>

Fennel: TADAAAH!
Thanks to you getting me the Dream Mist...
We can now collect records from Trainers all over! I'm truly thankful!
As an expression of my thanks, I'll let you use the C-Gear!
The C-Gear is a device that uses wireless infrared communication, or Wi-Fi, to connect you to others.
[White obtained the C-Gear!]

WARNING!
In places with restrictions on wireless communication, such as airplanes or hospitals, please turn off the C-Gear and cease communication.
Turn on the C-Gear and begin communication? [ Yes / No ]
[ Yes ]
Fennel: Look! Upon booting up the C-Gear, a screen appears!
Touch the ? in the lower-left corner of the screen to read an explanation of the C-Gear.
And now, the Game Sync, the system used to collect Trainer reports...
Do you want me to do a little explaining of the system? [ Yes / No ]
[ No ]
Well, sorry, but I'm so happy that I'll explain anyway!
After all, it's thanks to you that I was able to make such an incredible achievement!!
[ Yes ]
A Game Sync utilizes Dream Mist to produce the memories of a sleeping Pokémon!
That's right! And reports from Trainers worldwide can assemble together!!
And there's something even more incredible!
Game Syncing allows you to see the dreams of a sleeping Pokémon!
Just put a Pokémon to sleep with Game Sync...
And that Pokémon's dream is made reality in a place in the center of Unova called the High-Link!!
Game Syncing is just astounding, isn't it?! Your interest is not only piqued, but peaked, I'm sure?
If you're interested, you should try sending in your report, too!
The details are summed up in the PC over there, so check it if you must!

XieRH said:
That's like saying "Ariados" is a ripoff of "Gyarados"... Having some similar letters does not equal ripoff you know? There's only 26 letters to work with, and over 600 pokemon to name.

Don't know that I really agree with this. That's three meaningless letters versus a clearly recycled pun.

I'm sorry to sound this way, but they really could've done better.

Wow... That's why gen 4 is still my favorite gen... These are, by far, THE WORST POKÉMON NAMES IN HISTORY! It's funny how PUSA is able to ruin an entire gen just like that... The gen crossed the ocean and BAM! PUSA's morons had to express all thier dumbness otherwise that couldn't live with themselves...

For me, it's not about the names being creative or what they're composed of. It's about them sounding good to me. The word itself has to sound good. And for me, words like Golem or Onix sound better than Sawsbuck or Scraggy. What irritates me most is Gurdurr. For portugueses like me, pronouncing a word like that with so many "r"'s is just really annoying.

Oh well, I guess this will be the first time I will nickname the pokés in the game...

Im suprised no one has said anything about the Durrs.

Timburr (the best out of the 3 I guess)
Gurdurr (lol)
Conkledurr

Sawsbuck is probably the most creative name out of all 649 Pokrmon revealed.

S = Spring
A = Autumn
W = Winter
S = Spring
Buck = Male Deer

And its sure a lot easier to say than Mebukijika.

Good God people, first you complain about the new Pokemon designs for Gen V and now you complain about the English names for them. Is it too much to ask to be thankful for what we got in Gen V despite the flaws?

To be honest I actually like some of the new names for the Gen V Pokemon, but yeah I get it whenever a new generation of Pokemon comes out almost everyone's a hater, haters gotta hate. Yeah I didn't like the Region name change either but I suppose it's for the best.

I just hope this doesn't kill Pokemon as a whole. Maybe you people would like some cheese with your whine.

#521 - Unfezant (unpleasant? fez + pheasant?)
#530 – Excadrill (excavate + drill)
#533 – Gurdurr (girder lol)
#553 - Krookodile (When you said “Sounds kinda lame.” were you pronouncing it like “kook” or like “crook” as in “steal, cheat, or swindle”?
#555 - Darmanitan (Orangutan?)
#556 - Maractus (maraca + cactus)
#563 - Cofagrigus (cof-uh-grig-us)
#577 - Solosis (solo + cyst? or cis?)
#578 - Duosion (duo + division?)
#595 - Joltik (jolt + tick Love it!)
#596 - Galvantula (galvanic current tarantula)
#611 - Fraxure (fracture + axe)
#612 - Haxorus (hacks + axe + "saurus")
#614 - Beartic (sounds like a bear tick)
#615 - Cryogonal (cryogenics/kyros + isogonal? Why not just "Ice"ogonal?)
#624 - Pawniard (pawn)
#625 - Bisharp (bishop, chess pieces)
#626 - Bouffalant (bouffant)
#628 - Braviary (I think they thought Americans might take "Wargle" offensively, since this region is supposed to be based off of the U.S., they thought it might seem like they were using the [bald]eagle as a symbol of war disparagingly; thought brave + aviary was more agreeable.)
#629 - Vullaby (vulture + lullaby)
#632 - Durant (durable + ant)

Well first of all they might not be the english names of them.

2nd, people feel that way at the start, wait a while, they'll/we'll get used to the english names.

When we started getting names, they were nice, but i myself and other don't like some/most of the new ones.
@Bippa, oh, i see now, but to be honest Mebukijika sounds better to me.

Summer, autumn, winter, spring - you are so right! Thanks for bringing that to my attention!

I think Minccino and Cinccino made them think they were Italian.

Isn't it "woo" like "to seek the favor, affection, or love of, esp. with a view to marriage." because of the heart theme?

Yeah, and then it wouldn't sound like a bear tick!

Thank you! Like Coppélia. It sounds French. Just like Les Trois Mousquetaires.

I loooove the names. And they kept Emboar!! <3 Starter final evolutions sould a-m-a-z-i-n-g <3
Serperior and Samurott. Excellent! And ROFL at Gear's evolution
Gear - Klink; Gigiear - Klang; Gigigear Klinklang lmfao, I laughed good to this

Bianca means white, no change there. I guess they are keeping Belle until we go Texas(southern Belle? lol) and Blanche until we go to France.

Also, I am not surprised they used Pignite or Emboar, they DID use Snivy. Indifferent about a lot of these, there is a lot to love and a lot to hate, as usual. Every gen has had some crap.

"And they kept Emboar!!" Enbuoh is different from Emboar and guys it said possibly revealed, i don't want you to get your hopes up then you whine about it being false.

"Bianca means white, no change there."
Bianca came from belle, not from the playable character.

But i like Bianca over Belle though.

Now that I've had some time to sit down and look at the images next to the Pokemon's names and think on them. They aren't as bad as I thought when I just quickly skimmed the list. Still, some are horrible to me. Throh? Sawk? The one with the bad word in it? (could have been avoided.)

Some I'm iffy on. Like Stoutland. Does it have to do with a dog breed or something, why the "land" part? Not completely sure on the legitimacy of some of these names. We'll see though. I like the name change for Bel to Bianca. Now lets hope the Gym leaders and E4 have good names.

'Bianca came from belle, not from the playable character.'

Ah, Belle means White aswell. Like Charon means Black. >_>

Don't you mean Cheren? >.> If not i wonder why they kept Cheren. I think it's clever that they thought of a name that also starts with b and it means white, when you say it like "Bi-un-cha".

I hope Iris keeps her name.

Since a lot of people don't seem to get Stoutland's name...

The Scottish Terrier is a highland breed of terrier. As in, it originates from SCOTLAND. They are well known for being short, independent, and a rugged breed. Stout is defined as rugged, stalwart, resolute, all of which describe the hardiness of the Scottish Terrier. Ta-da~ Stout + Scotland = Stoutland.

Thanks for that, GothLoliBat! Once I understand the name of a Pokemon more, I usually like it more.

Looking back a decade ago, Gen I/II didn't have this problem of people hating names so vehemently. Not because the names were better-sounding, but because the older fanbase didn't throw a hissy fit over every little dislike.

On a personal note, I probably dont plan to scrutinise and adapt to every new US name ASAP. I hope people won't mind if I still call chillarmy by its romanised japanese name 5 months from now.

Back