(1) Recent Japanese Rule Changes Coming to English TCG Too [10/1]

Okay, so the winner chooses who goes first. That's interesting.
The Kalos Starter Set...Those are the starter decks getting released along with Legendary Treasures, right?

...Enjoy your Cities, guys.

DNA said:
Okay, so the winner chooses who goes first. That's interesting.
The Kalos Starter Set...Those are the starter decks getting released along with Legendary Treasures, right?

...Enjoy your Cities, guys.

My prediction was correct as well-on the case of my FA Junipers, I'll be getting rid of those at Regionals so I can pump my deck with Sycamore copies as I'm picking up the Kalos decks. Too many prints of a card with the same effect haha. I'm super excited for the upcoming format-and I really don't get the complaining about it tbh. Stops a 20 buck fee from making me even more sour between the first turn rules and the catcher change.

EDIT: Obviously I still have regular Juniper copies laying around and I'll be picking up a red genesect collection as well so I'll still have Junipers to play.

...Until shown otherwise, I still will continue to think the flip on catcher was a bad idea...Just makes the format more flippy or means all those high hp Pokemon on the bench are nice and safe...maybe escape rope will see some play now?

Well, it is better to know than to not know, since ignorance wouldn't prevent it from happening.

Reggie McGigas said:
166 cards in XY1? That's crazy!

I don't think that's a 166, it looks more like a 2 to me.

EDIT: I'm talking about the total number. Sycamore, 122/206?

Anyone else notice that you flip and decide who goes first BEFORE drawing your hand? That means you don't know what kind of start you'll get before you choose.

First Turn: I'm okay with this. Too often have I been donked out because of a bad start. This helps players have a fairer chance at playing a fair-and-square game.

Catcher: FINE BY ME.

Sycamore vs Juniper: Hmm.... I can understand their reasoning, and I'm okay with it, but why oh why would they make Sycamore the same dang card?

Well Plasma Blast had the trainers from 78-84 out of 101, that 8/10 of the set meaning 8/10=122/150 so I guess there really could be 166 cards

How, then, does this ruling affect First Ticket, which can only be played after you've dealt your hand?

PMJ said:
How, then, does this ruling affect First Ticket, which can only be played after you've dealt your hand?

I would just assume that now you would reveal it and even the other player would have been going first, now you (the player using First Ticket) will. The card itself might need an errata for clarification purposes.

Why can't you have 2x Juniper and 2x Sycamore? What if I can't decide which Professor I like more....? :(

Sheriff_K said:
Why can't you have 2x Juniper and 2x Sycamore? What if I can't decide which Professor I like more....? :(

It's easier to just ban usage of both of them in the same deck.

It looks like 146 to me, but it's very difficult to tell anyway.

Pokewiz1999 said:
Anyone else notice that you flip and decide who goes first BEFORE drawing your hand? That means you don't know what kind of start you'll get before you choose.

Yeah, I did notice that. I think this is a good thing for the format, since you can't base your decision off of what your opening hand is, and have to do it based off of what deck you're playing, which may seem to make it more luck-based, but you also get to decide what basics to put out at the start of the game, which adds some skill to the game.

For example, if you're going first, you only want to play 1 down, because you can bench the others after you know what you're opponent's deck is. And if you're going second, you usually want to put all of them down (aside from techs and Jirachi and stuff like that) just in case your opponent N's them back into your deck. But you might not want to, in case they Catcher/Red Signal one of your other Pokemon up, but since it's a flip now, most people won't do that anymore.

Also, I think there's 146 cards in the set, not 166.

Back