(1) 'Pokemon Black 2' and 'White 2' Fall Release [2/27]

Status
Not open for further replies.
i get why people are calling this a rush i mean we have never seen a main series game in the same year as the Japanese but this is not the case. the reason where getting it early is because there getting it early have any of you sat down and thought of the distance between the releases they normally get the main series games in September and we march the is 6 or 7 months no if you think about this games there getting them in june and well most likely get them in early november/late October witch is 5/6 months so other then us getting the games in the same year theres little if no speed difference i rest my case

Zero said:
Platinum was barely an update to DP and Emerald was barely an update to RS. I'm fully expecting BW2 to be a minor update to BW. These "updates" are very lazy and the professional gamers are noticing. I speak from experience. Previous games have been lazy updates, so what makes us think that the future one will be any different? Why rerelease the same game with minor updates? Money.
And you just told me it wasn't just about money on the chat the other day. XD

You seem to be missing something. Unlike retellings like Platinum to Diamond and Pearl, Black and White 2 are named...well, Black and White 2. As in the sequels to Black and White. That's generally what putting a number after the title means: Kingdom Hearts 2 was the sequel to Kingdom Hearts, Halo 2 was the sequel to Halo, Castlevania 2 was the sequel to Castlevania...you get the idea. The number after the name tells us that Black and White 2 will be sequels and take place after Black and White. You can't just change around a few textures and such and make minor differences in the story if the game itself is a sequel. I fail to see why you're implying that the successors to Black and White are like all the other successors to main series games. Tell me the name of ONE game that's titled as a sequel to another game, takes place some time after the first game, and has literally the same story as the game that it's a sequel to (time paradoxes don't count)...then, maybe I'll believe you and take you seriously.

don()shinobi said:

You seem to be missing something. Unlike retellings like Platinum to Diamond and Pearl, Black and White 2 are named...well, Black and White 2. As in the sequels to Black and White. That's generally what putting a number after the title means: Kingdom Hearts 2 was the sequel to Kingdom Hearts, Halo 2 was the sequel to Halo, Castlevania 2 was the sequel to Castlevania...you get the idea. The number after the name tells us that Black and White 2 will be sequels and take place after Black and White. You can't just change around a few textures and such and make minor differences in the story if the game itself is a sequel. I fail to see why you're implying that the successors to Black and White are like all the other successors to main series games. Tell me the name of ONE game that's titled as a sequel to another game, takes place some time after the first game, and has literally the same story as the game that it's a sequel to (time paradoxes don't count)...then, maybe I'll believe you and take you seriously.

i get your point here. but how are they going to work the gyms and the league into a new story line im not trying to argue with you its just that that part puzzles me i mean i would think that they would have to come up with new gym leaders and league members just a thought

pokemonmaster101 said:
i get your point here. but how are they going to work the gyms and the league into a new story line im not trying to argue with you its just that that part puzzles me i mean i would think that they would have to come up with new gym leaders and league members just a thought

We only got to explore the west way around to the E4 through the story in BW.
East Unova seemed really boring and random IMO

Think about it, this was probably intended for the sequels from the beginning.
I have a feeling the west bridges will be off-limits this time instead of the east ones. Then they'd really have to update stuff and make new gyms for that way around o____O

Its like the first time Unovas shape makes sense to me, but who knows.

If they did add new gyms, you could "rebattle" the original west-side ones after the story lol.
Sounds fun.
The 2 would make sense if there was even new gym leaders and stuff for the currently boring part of Unova, wouldn't it?

That would be interesting--there'd be 11 Gyms in Unova, and every town except the first two would have some.

Better yet, I'd like to see them extend that water route. You know, the one with the Frilishes. It felt incomplete and pointless, especially with the P2 Laboratory. I know it ties in with Genesect, but it's where you get the cassettes and that's it.

don()shinobi said:
Tell me the name of ONE game that's titled as a sequel to another game, takes place some time after the first game, and has literally the same story as the game that it's a sequel to (time paradoxes don't count)...then, maybe I'll believe you and take you seriously.

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations covers the same ground that Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 covered. That being said, it's a fighting game series, and really, the main draw of the game is its expanded roster, balance tweaking, and fixing of broken mechanics.

I agree with you though--but I just felt compelled to provide an example.

The games sound interesting, and the Fall release sounds interesting. Can't wait to see more information about these games.

Teal said:
I don't think they are thinking like that. :p
And you said a while ago that there are no Sundays in October!? :B Did I get you right? :B

Oops! I was only listing Sundays in September. But I put October too. sorry.

Autumn Release in America! :D
My 14th birthday is October 1st, hopefully it'll come out before then.

don()shinobi said:

Not really.

I honestly think that they are actually doing a good thing. Doing a retelling right after the original is the dumbest idea, and I am talking about every other third version that existed.

The best time to do a retelling is to do it many years later, sort of like firered, leafgreen, heartgold, soulsilver, rather than making a Japanese Blue, Yellow, and Crystal versions.

There is an example of another video game franchise that did a retelling to the original.

Doom, released in 1993.
Doom II, released in 1994, a direct sequel to Doom
Doom 3, released in 2004, a retelling of Doom. Notice that the 3 didn't make this game the sequel of Doom II?

Black and White 2's sequelness more closely resembles Final Fantasy X-2 and XIII-2. Sort of like, the sequel to video game 2 isn't video game 3, but it is video game 2-2.

signofzeta said:
Doom, released in 1993.
Doom II, released in 1994, a direct sequel to Doom
Doom 3, released in 2004, a retelling of Doom. Notice that the 3 didn't make this game the sequel of Doom II?
For the most part (read those four words again), you got me there. But does Doom 3 retell the original Doom to the sense that they're set in the same time period?

Ophie said:
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations covers the same ground that Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 covered. That being said, it's a fighting game series, and really, the main draw of the game is its expanded roster, balance tweaking, and fixing of broken mechanics.
But is Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations a sequel to Ultimate Ninja Storm 2? I always thought that fighting games with scenes that reenact scenes from the program it's based off of weren't exactly sequels, just add-ons to accommodate for the new content in the series.

don()shinobi said:
For the most part (read those four words again), you got me there. But does Doom 3 retell the original Doom to the sense that they're set in the same time period?

But is Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations a sequel to Ultimate Ninja Storm 2? I always thought that fighting games with scenes that reenact scenes from the program it's based off of weren't exactly sequels, just add-ons to accommodate for the new content in the series.

Doom 1 never had a time period. Doom 3 was set in 2145. I would assume that developers won't make any deja vu sequels, and the creators of Doom 3 did explicitly say that Doom 3 was a retelling of Doom 1.

Usually a 2 or a 3 on the title does not guarantee a sequel. Look at the Quake and Final Fantasy franchises. Quake 1 involved slipgates, and minions of Lovecraftian lore. Quake II. involved alien cyborgs known as the strogg. Quake III arena involves the player fighting in a deathmatch style tournament, and Quake 4 is a true direct sequel to Quake II. Then there was Enemy Territory Quake Wars, which is a prequel to both Quake II and 4.

There is also the Final Fantasy series. Now tell me how you can continue the story from Final Fantasy VIII and expect to get Final Fantasy IX? You can't, because the storyline of both games are different. The reason why there is a 2 or 3 in the name is because the gameplay is so similar, that making a game with a new name would lessen the chance that players will buy it, because it isn't a familiar name.

And you know why Quake II was called what it is? Originally, that game had a different name. The developers saw that the name was taken, and they couldn't think up of any other name. Then they saw how similar that game plays in comparison to Quake, so they named it Quake II.

That is all there is to it.

A third version, aka a retelling of the original story should be released 10 years after the original games, and or maybe at least 5 years. Firered Leafgreen Heartgold Soulsilver should have filled in the role of the third game that retells the story. The way they are doing it right now, as long as they have a different map, or perhaps the same map, but you start out in a different city, and the storyline is different, then it is ok for me. If the basic gist of the storyline is exactly the same as the original, much like with Diamond and Platinum, and how the goals of each character don't change between games, then it is a retelling, and releasing the same game within a span of less than 5 years is a dumb idea, well I guess it isn't that dumb seeing how there are gullible people in the world who buy a game they already own anyway, me being one of them, since I bought a 360 and a PS3 version of the same game, just because it had subtle differences. I mean c'mon, the limbo menus of the PC, PS3, and 360 versions of Enemy Territory Quake Wars are different in design, and that is enough for me to buy all 3 versions. I also bought both the Diamond and Pearl versions, because, again, the subtle differences, but I hardly even touched the Diamond version. I mostly started my character in Pearl anyway. I did the same with Heartgold and Soulsilver. I originally got Soulsilver, and I went pretty far with that, but I bought Heartgold, because of the subtle differences. I didn't really get that far in it, and I just handed it to my brother, and he just continued with the heartgold version, while I played the Soulsilver version.

Also making true sequels, that is different story, maybe different locales, is a good thing, because those who are ,ahem, sane enough to not buy 2 of the same game, will buy this version, because they aren't the same game. Knowing that, that make me insane in the membrane (INSANE IN THE BRAIN)

What I also do is this. First version, pick boy. Second version, pick girl. That's how I roll. So Diamond version, I picked Lucas, while Pearl, I picked Dawn. Heartgold I picked Ethan, and Soulsilver, I picked Lyra. White, I picked Hilda, and if I owned Black, which I seem to be sane enough to not buy it, then I would pick Hilbert. I ALWAYS buy the second version, so I am getting White 2, and start with the girl, because the second version is always the girl.

With that in mind, it would be cool if what happens in the first version affects the boy, while what happens in the second version affects the girl, where black is the first version, and white is the second version, because it is "black and white", not "white and black". Buying the second version also goes all the way down to the theme decks I buy for the TCG. I always buy the theme deck that more closely relates to the white version of the video games, and to do that, I look at the playmats. Whoever is on a white background of the playmat, I buy that theme deck for. So with Noble Victories, Accelgor is on the black background, and Escavalier is on white. So I buy Furious Knights. Also between different games, I rotate starter pokemon, and I don't play third versions, so with pearl, I started with piplup, Soulsilver, it was Chikorita, and White, it was tepig. I really do hope that we get new starter pokemon. Whatever it may be, I am going to start with the water type.

don()shinobi said:

Yes, it's a sequel--though more of a 2.5 than a full 3. (Naruto Storm 3 will come out 2 years from now.) It's not a one-for-one retelling of 2 though. 2 told roughly two-thirds of the series. Generations tells the story from the very beginning of the series to a little bit past where 2 ended.

Another example I thought of is Jet Set Radio (AKA Jet Grind Radio) and Jet Set Radio Future. The missions and stage layout are different, there are new game mechanics, the graffiti-spraying system had been revamped, and there's an entirely new soundtrack from the same composers as the original. However, it tells the same story about the GGs (a street gang) standing up to and defeating the corporate tycoon Gouji Rokkaku--only the second game tweaks and revises the original game's story and adds in some more characters. Also, you play as the leader of the GGs in Jet Set Radio, but you begin as a new recruit in Future. The story shifts back to the leader before long. All the dialogue is new as well. (And Charles Martinet, voice of Mario, plays Rokkaku in Future.)

JSRF can be technically labeled as a remake, but if you take away the story, it's undoubtedly a sequel.

I feel that a lot of people are unnessecarily bashing Gamefreak. Sure, the third games are remakes in Gen I, II, III, and IV. Who cares? Fans loved them, and Gamefreak out time into adding places and revamping areas. In addition, you can't really use other games to argue your point as Pokémon has set a whole new medium. I personally will be buying the game because I am a fan and I LOVE it when Gamefreak does more for the fans.

Just to clarify, Pokemon Black and White 2 are most likely not sequels due to the fact that they are fully called: Pokemon Black Version 2, Pokemon White Version 2, as in Version 2=a remastered version

If it is not intended in this version 2 way, then yes, they are sequels

Pokemon has always put "Version" at the end of their main series game titles. Black Version, Ruby Version, Diamond Version, etc. They put 2 at the end because, for example, the name of the game is Gold Version, not just Gold.

Luigi08 said:
Just to clarify, Pokemon Black and White 2 are most likely not sequels due to the fact that they are fully called: Pokemon Black Version 2, Pokemon White Version 2, as in Version 2=a remastered version

If it is not intended in this version 2 way, then yes, they are sequels

The names ARE Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 in Japanese. The "Version" is just added at the end of all of the English games...and "Pokemon Black 2 Version" just sounds stupid, so they switched the "2" and the "Version" around.

E3 is June 5-7, so I'm hoping for playable English versions soon

depending on how nice nintendo are, they may release the japanese copies june 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back