(1) Pokemon ‘X’ and ‘Y’ Website Updates with English Localizations, Game Screenshots [5/14]

Garchompsoup said:
I dont know if anyone's ever brought this up, but at the beginning of the gameplay trailer before Gogoat starts to walk, do you think that's Gogoat's cry?

I also think that. It kinda sounds like an engine starting. That would relate with the japanese name Gōgōto (轟轟 gōgō - rumbling, often related to engine sounds) and the french and german names Chevroum and Chevrumm (vroum, vrumm - most probably engine sounds).

On another topic, I was thinking about Helioptile, the frill-necked lizard. Another common name for this species is the frilled-dragon. Do you guys think his evolution could change from a strange secondary Normal type to a Dragon type?

KurowaSan said:
Garchompsoup said:
I dont know if anyone's ever brought this up, but at the beginning of the gameplay trailer before Gogoat starts to walk, do you think that's Gogoat's cry?

I also think that. It kinda sounds like an engine starting. That would relate with the japanese name Gōgōto (轟轟 gōgō - rumbling, often related to engine sounds) and the french and german names Chevroum and Chevrumm (vroum, vrumm - most probably engine sounds).

On another topic, I was thinking about Helioptile, the frill-necked lizard. Another common name for this species is the frilled-dragon. Do you guys think his evolution could change from a strange secondary Normal type to a Dragon type?

I think that Helioptile may evolve into something like this http://i.imgur.com/b9voX9P.jpg (unless they decide to just evolve it into a slightly bigger and more serious-looking frill-necked lizard), but far less menacing and have very good speed and special attack stats, along with an okay attack stat.

KurowaSan said:

At the moment I don't, because I am still expecting an explanation for why it has an extra Normal type in the first place.

And if it was gonna end up as Electric/Dragon, it would have simply started off as Electric like every pokemon before it.

Mitja said:
KurowaSan said:

At the moment I don't, because I am still expecting an explanation for why it has an extra Normal type in the first place.

And if it was gonna end up as Electric/Dragon, it would have simply started off as Electric like every pokemon before it.

Well rumour was it does not evolve. So it might just stay that way and be a one of a kind dual typing.

Mitja said:
KurowaSan said:

The one reason I can see Helioptile having Normal as a second type would be that it is a placeholder for a new type and TCPi don't want to make it too obvious yet. (eg putting its type as Electric/??? would basically be saying Helioptile gets a new type).
I can see them saying something like 'could there be more to Helioptile than meets the eye..?' and then in a huge announcement they reveal that both Sylveon and Helioptile will be a new type.
I could easily see it as if if it was a Normal/Electric, but since Normal as a secondary type doesn't make sense, maybe it could be another new type after all..?

The only problem about this is that Helioptile doesn't have any obvious connection to a new type, and it looks like giving it Fairy would be very out-of-place.
So could we be seeing 2 new types in X/Y? Fairy and... something else? Light would be the obvious choice, but we've established that won't happen.

Unless there's a Normal type Eevee-like baby lizard which gains elements upon evolution, but keeps its Normal type, with the secondary type changing upon secondary evolution (eg. Normal->Electric/Normal->Electric/Dragon) (and different secondary types, eg a Water type could end up as a Water/Fighting type). And Helioptile's design looks like it could have small changes to be a different type (I can even see them only doing a color change job, with grey being the 'base' color and then having red for a Fire type, green for a Grass type etc)
Although Eevee's pretty much guaranteed to be in this game, so something similar to Eevee would look a bit out of place, considering different-typed evolutions are considered Eevee's domain in the Pokemon world. plus the genwunners would rage if eevee's job was taken

P.DelSlayer said:
Mitja said:

The one reason I can see Helioptile having Normal as a second type would be that it is a placeholder for a new type and TCPi don't want to make it too obvious yet. (eg putting its type as Electric/??? would basically be saying Helioptile gets a new type).
I can see them saying something like 'could there be more to Helioptile than meets the eye..?' and then in a huge announcement they reveal that both Sylveon and Helioptile will be a new type.
I could easily see it as if if it was a Normal/Electric, but since Normal as a secondary type doesn't make sense, maybe it could be another new type after all..?

The only problem about this is that Helioptile doesn't have any obvious connection to a new type, and it looks like giving it Fairy would be very out-of-place.
So could we be seeing 2 new types in X/Y? Fairy and... something else? Light would be the obvious choice, but we've established that won't happen.

Unless there's a Normal type Eevee-like baby lizard which gains elements upon evolution, but keeps its Normal type, with the secondary type changing upon secondary evolution (eg. Normal->Electric/Normal->Electric/Dragon) (and different secondary types, eg a Water type could end up as a Water/Fighting type). And Helioptile's design looks like it could have small changes to be a different type (I can even see them only doing a color change job, with grey being the 'base' color and then having red for a Fire type, green for a Grass type etc)
Although Eevee's pretty much guaranteed to be in this game, so something similar to Eevee would look a bit out of place, considering different-typed evolutions are considered Eevee's domain in the Pokemon world. plus the genwunners would rage if eevee's job was taken

Azurill changes from Normal to Water just fine though S:

And if it became different secondary types Wormadam style......well fail, Burmy wasnt Bug/Normal and did that.

Mitja said:
P.DelSlayer said:

Azurill changes from Normal to Water just fine though S:

And if it became different secondary types Wormadam style.....well fail, Burmy wasnt Bug/Normal and did that.

Azurill going into Marill is the only exception outside of Eevee that changes its entire type over evolution, due to reasons beyond me. (I've always thought Azurill should've been Normal/Water, at the very least)

When you say 'Wormadam' style, are you implying that Helioptile would evolve into split evolutions? Because that's not really what I was saying at all.

For Helioptile, I was thinking that that it would evolve into a massive electric/steel generator, mostly because it's head is such a strange shape, those lines near it's eyes look like segments on a generator and its species name, "Generation Pokemon" also makes me think that this will be the case. I also bet that its frills will become solar panels that will power its generator. Also, its names in other languages refer to generators too.

CyberCat5555 said:
For Helioptile, I was thinking that that it would evolve into a massive electric/steel generator, mostly because it's head is such a strange shape, those lines near it's eyes look like segments on a generator and its species name, "Generation Pokemon" also makes me think that this will be the case. I also bet that its frills will become solar panels that will power its generator. Also, its names in other languages refer to generators too.

For me, Helioptile looks like it could become either this, or an Electric/Fire which has solar panels or the previously mentioned Electric/Dragon.

Mitja said:
KurowaSan said:

Swablu!!

The part I least like about Helioptile is the way the ears come out when he used Parabolic Charge (and other moves I suppose). He also has that face, but other than that, I really liked it. The typing seems odd. I don't believe it is a place holder. If they didn't want to reveal the typing, they could have left it as Electric with nothing else. I would say that it would get an evolution. What I find most interesting with Helioptile, is the Sun part. Maybe it would get Clorophyll or another ability based on the Sunlight (not drought but something that would raise its SpA in Sunlight). Maybe even a new attack.

Flygon2071 said:
What I find most interesting with Helioptile, is the Sun part. Maybe it would get Clorophyll or another ability based on the Sunlight (not drought but something that would raise its SpA in Sunlight). Maybe even a new attack.

Would be a perfect candidate to have Solar Power as its usual ability. Solar Power raises Sp. Attack in sunlight, at the cost of a little bit of HP every turn. It's a little bit like a built-in Life Orb. It's going to be really weird if it has something else when it's set up perfectly for that.

Sentret_C said:
Garchompsoup said:

Possible, afaik no one have metioned this.

Pretty sure it is unless they had some odd audio glitch, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm honestly thinking that Helioptile might gain the Dragon secondary type in one of it's final evolutions. Why? The anime. Unless Iris is being swapped out for another girl as the tradition for each generation has gone, we have a Dragon type trainer as one of the main characters of the series. Helioptile gives these suspicious vibes of being one of the cutesy anime-featured Pokemon with references to it's personality and the like, which is honestly making me think that Iris could pick one up early on, and then it evolves into a fancy Electric/Dragon.

Luna_Cat16 said:
I'm honestly thinking that Helioptile might gain the Dragon secondary type in one of it's final evolutions. Why? The anime. Unless Iris is being swapped out for another girl as the tradition for each generation has gone, we have a Dragon type trainer as one of the main characters of the series. Helioptile gives these suspicious vibes of being one of the cutesy anime-featured Pokemon with references to it's personality and the like, which is honestly making me think that Iris could pick one up early on, and then it evolves into a fancy Electric/Dragon.

Umm, don't they usually drop the girls Ash travels with? Dawn left after DP, May left after RSE. Misty stayed a bit too long. (And Brock is Brock, unless you have Max.)
Plus the video game does not bow down to the anime.

D.N.A said:
I can't believe anyone actually thinks it will become part dragon type?

Everyone likes dragons. At this rate, every reptile = automatically a dragon-type!

Usually, but hell, with the way they swapped things up in the series for the 5th gen it might be possible. Your point is quite valid though.

Honestly I just don't like the Normal type. It feels extraneous and completely pointless, where as the Normal type mixes on other Pokemon made some sense, like the Normal/Flying types being ordinary birds, Bibarel being a beaver, and Sawsbuck only have some Grass-type traits. Helioptile just looks like a normal Electric type and it's confusing, and I just want it gone in its evolutions, if there are any.

The same way Kingdra is a dragon because it is based on a seahorse named seadragon, why can't the frilled-dragon also become a dragon? XD

I like how Gogoat is becoming more and more like a cool and tough motorcycle-ish Pokémon. I might call mine Harley. =P

Back