(1) Nintendo Follow-Up [9/21]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo's response was a person one. A clear over reaction to something so stupid as the posting of images. You have ppl making illegal roms yet they go after a fansite for posting images. *Facepalm*
Honestly I dont blame WPM for raging, because when you see such a massive fail in reasoning you tend to lose your mind

Yeah, Nintendo kinda did some silly stuff here, they can't expect to keep information about a released game secret, especially when we have access to the internet and there are loads of people playing it in America already who can translate it... Also, I hope they actually see that post and read the part about a simultaneous release, since WPM did have a good point in saying that it doesn't take that long to translate the games :p

Edit: Good point about the illegal roms ^

i just dont get it, nintendo has published said pics. Its been released in japan, its published, we fricking know now. so wouldnt posting images from the japanese game be perfectly legal? Srsly what is this i dont even???

*just got emailed from Nintendo in response to my opinion letter sent earlier in the week* o.o They....they actually wrote back. And it isn't some cookie-cutter response letter either. Its.....a personalized, informative, and overall sincere letter that answered all my questions and concerns about the incident, worded almost completely in plain English. Heck, they addressed me by name and the representative signed it with their name at the bottom.

I suddenly don't hate Nintendo anymore for this. The fact that they didn't just churn out the standard 'we appreciate your interest, the matter will be looked into' crap, is enough for me to forgive and forget. Sure, I'm still unhappy about the way they handled it, but I'm now willing to move on and not hold a grudge over it. Maybe its just my nature though. Tana out. -w-

Onoz Nintendo!

I played my friend's IMPORTED Black version today.

I saw the new Pokemon.

I saw everything.

Sue me for causing damage by having a friend who bought the game and witnessing it with my very eyes.

Sorry guys, I'll be in a court hearing from nintendo for a bit D: /sarcasm

Nintendo should really think things through...honestly... It's causing them more damage removing the images than the images being up are causing damage.

This is not right to do this to a person so dedicated to the pokemon franchise.Yes why the ---- don't they go after rom sites or fake carding companies.But no they sit around all day, do not listen to anyone denies crap and plunks themselves down and thinks job well done.Really,WPM does not deserve this,Neither does serebii,Or any others.Why did the 2ch forum people not step in and say ''hey,This is not right we gave them this info'' and yet they do not want to step up to ball park either.If you are going to put something up for all eyes to see you could at least step up and say something and not sit on your buttlock all day and deny.They should be going after 2ch.WPM did not deserve this,It is wrong,and frankly they do not have any proof that this ALL came from his site alone.Threatning to shut down a site without any proof is pathetic.They hardly ever post or update on their site,And many could care less about the site as well (Pokemon.com in case you are confused).WPM is a good person who supports nintendo and gives respect to them and then he is dished with thing like this???Without proof they cannot do crap but assume it came from serebii or pokebeach.If anything suing is the thing in mine.

WPM I am holding out for you and support you,Please be safe.

okok WOW WOW WOW, two things, yea well i wouldnt want my info to leak eather, but thats my fault, im too stupid to protect my stuff, im leting it leak. Im resposible for leaks. My company is not secure enough!

And another, if seeing info from a japanese game, posting, reading, images, etc... that means playing the japanese game in USA is illeagle!!!! UR NOT SUPOSED TO PLAY IT IN USA!!!!! ITS NOT LEAGLY LEAGLE!!!

(sorry im mexican bad grammar)

I just now read all the crap about the B/W images removal. I'm getting a strong vibe that they won't stop at just this. I'll bet that they'll eventually make a move against Japanese card scans that get posted on here. I mean hell, they already went through all of this trouble to bash every fansite in existence over B/W. What makes you think that they won't go after the card game, next? What else are they going to strip everyone of?

At the same time, Groudon King makes a somewhat good point. However, it still doesn't fully justify what they did. Now, I realize that there are some people in this world that just seem to dedicate their lives to being unreasonable, but if it hard to simply STOP beating around the bush for so long and just FLAT OUT SAY WHAT YOU WANT?! Hiding behind your lawyer to confuse everyone with their ITC (Impossible To Comprehend) language to carry out Phase 1 of your plan isn't the most reputable way of dealing with ANY situation, logical or not.

I'm not trying to oppose their aim, because lets face it, we don't really know what their aim IS, nor do we work for them, nor do we make the games. I go by the rule that if you aren't IN their seat experiencing what they're feeling, you shouldn't being saying anything in return (if you have ever played WoW and read the chaos of the forums full of people complaining about server maintenance, you know what I'm talking about). It's very well possible that some idiot somewhere out there in the world found some unspoken way of "abusing" Nintendo's content images (how, I don't know), and now Nintendo is just trying to protect their franchise, and Pokemon fansites like this one just happen to be unlucky enough to be in the crossfire. As we ALL surely know, we live in a world where people are ruining life for others because some greedy person found a way to abuse the system. Those warning labels that you see on coffee cups are there for a reason, after all... instulting others' intelligence every single day.... Go figure... Maybe Nintendo's actions here are related to someone having found a way to "abuse the system..." again...

That's my rant/thoughts on the matter. Life goes on while another idiot elsewhere works hard on a new way to make life even more miserable... in one way or another...

I skimmed most of the posts in this thread and while I agree and disagree with many of them I'll just say a few things since I don't have time to reply to everyone.

What frustrates me THE MOST, whether Nintendo is justified or not, is that they have done NOTHING to make this situation more understandable to me. I called the lawyer and tried to get him to explain things to me, but he didn't seem to know much himself. As you saw in his e-mails, he wasn't too clear about anything either. I don't know why this happened or how to avoid it in the future. We're a fan site. We post spoilers all the time. Do I have to be afraid that my site will be shut down every time I post a news story? Do I have to constantly be in fear that I'm doing something they don't like? Just look at this situation - they were going to remove my .com in 24 hours had I not complied. Since they have done NOTHING to explain this situation to me I can't even get a feel for what they think or how to change my actions in light of their beliefs. Their lack of communication and consistent ambiguity is what makes this situation so utterly frustrating. Honestly, I don't even think the lawyer knew what this was all about: he was probably just told to get rid of all of our recent B/W images and that was it. You don't just threaten a fan site who's been around for seven years and expect them NOT to wonder what the situation is about. I have enough stress already - I don't need to live under constant fear that my site will be shut down on top of it. Why they can't be crystal-clear with me is beyond me.

And to all of you saying I handled this immaturely, shut up. I'd love to see how you would react to an international company that is a household name threatening to destroy your seven years of work over something so minor. I handed the situation extremely well I think. People love to throw the "immature" argument around too often, and I find IRL that these are often the people that understand the least about anything.

Oh, and people keep e-mailing me, lawyers and not, saying that I am legally in the right or that I'm legally not in the right. No one can give a straight answer. Nintendo can't even give a straight answer. THAT IS WHAT'S FRUSTRATING! I mean, I practically had to punch the lawyer to get any information out of him. Nintendo wouldn't have told me anything had I not harassed him with several e-mails. I mean, he's my only contact.

By putting my post up it makes the situation crystal-clear to everyone based on what we know so that if something DOES happen everyone will have been informed.

Read article and all i have to say
Lawyer learn that we do not understand law terms we did not go to law school <.<

though i really hope the images can be put up soon :D though i don't get the dont want to spoil it for americans <.< when we can already/had pre-ordered the game so nintendo is getting there money.

Anyways the ditto thing was not immature it was funny XD and well handled in a controlled manner just the ppl saying immature don't understand frustration when people refuse to work with you or even give you enough info to know what you did wrong <.<

I hope that everything turns out to be fine at the end. I know how this makes you feel. Nintendo is just being utterly stupid to actually threaten you with things like removing your .com in 24 hours.

@WPM: Thanks for that little bit there. I haven't the slightest idea why Nintendo would do this so ambiguously (let alone at all), but it really is a waste of their time. The sprites had been out long enough for them to be saved on personal files, and now those files are being shared with people who didn't save them. What will Nintendo do now, sue all the fans for having the sprites on save file? -_-

Also, could you (if you have time right now or sometime later, I mean) elaborate on what was mentioned from Serebii's forums before? From what I heard, Nintendo will be allowing some images now. (only Sugimori art, I heard)

I told the customer service and took the idea from pokejungle.net (its pokejungle, but it always shows as Google):

"Please take the time to contact Nintendo here. [its http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp if it doesn't work]

On the drop down list you can choose ‘Corporate Questions‘ and in the second drop down ‘Trademark/Copyright Questions‘. If you are too busy to write out your own message to them (I HIGHLY recommend you try) you can copy this message that I have written and put your name at the bottom:

Dear Nintendo,

I’ve seen several Pokemon fansites take down their images of the newest Pokemon Black and White games at your request. I just wanted to write in to express my dissatisfaction with this request. We as fans would like to know all about the games that your company publishes and would like to fully appreciate the long hard work Game Freak has put into this new generation of Pokemon games. It seems uncharacteristic for Nintendo to be so harsh on sites that only wish to see your games thrive and help build the community around them. It hurts not only fans, but also our image of Nintendo as a company. We hope you would reconsider your recent actions taken against sites such as Serebii (http://serebii.net) and PokeBeach (http://pokebeach.com).

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
X"

Nintendo emailed me and said that not all sites' "things" were threatening to them, only a few. I mean they should at least take down all things or nothing at all!!

@WPM - Just a suggestion... maybe contact Serebii because he seems to have the situation almost sorted out. Although that's just an outsider's view...

EDIT: Just heard you may have already talked to Serebii... If so, then could you please elaborate on what he'll be allowed to post?

Well he has a point (wpm) i mean i think that thanks to his efforts we get the news, the pics the tcg, and we are part of the page, the least we can do is offer support i mean not exactly money, but like a guy or girl in a post said, we are in the battle together, and well my self if u need any help im fine with that, lol i wana help out fixing the thing up. Moral suport or somthing but we are a team and i think most of us in POKER BEACH are with u dude. Oh and mexico is with u too, specialy from the state San Luis Potosi, (mostly tcg players)

This be some crap.
I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. I understand their point, but... you can't hold on to this kind of stuff! U CANT STOP TEH INTERNETS! U CANNOTS! And Lord Bleck's point is perfect, why fansites, and not ROMs? WE ARE HELPING YOU! HULK SMASH! ROAAA[/rage]

Anyways, Nintendo, please rethink this. It isn't benefiting you, that's for sure, so why continue?(like what I say matters)

I don't know who Serebii has talked to but I would prefer it if Nintendo talked to me directly rather than leaving me in the dark or expecting me to get my information from other people.

I may just be speaking for myself, but I think everyone is overreacting. Nintendo was overzealous in their dealings with pokebeach and other sites. However, the response has been uncooperative, passive-agressive, whining from the fans. I salute those of you who tried to contact Nintendo in a civil manner. That is the best way to bring our opinions about the matter to the forefront. To everyone who is just squatting in the forums and ranting about how evil Nintendo is, stop. You're not helping, and only souring the tone of the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back