(1) Mega Tyranitar, Aggron, Gengar, and Kangaskhan in ‘CoroCoro’ [10/10]

DNA said:
MEga Aggron is actually Pure Steel according to the scan.
No it isn't. Look at the scan again. Its typing is unchanged.

The 2nd line of Aggron's data reads: タイプ: はがね ・ いわ

It's okay, I made the same mistake. That is the description for Aggron. . .
The description for Mega Aggron is in the top right corner.

Top two lines of red text are its species.
The third line is its type. There are six Japanese characters in this line that read 'タイプ: はがね' - 'Type: Steel'. No other characters are in this line of text, and the fourth line of text underneath it is Aggron's ability.
There is no 'いわ' (Rock).

You can iz reed Japanese?! o_0
Lucky...
I can read some. Not a while lot, but enough to decipher basic words and phrases that Pokemon tends to use.
It's hard to see since the scan is so blurry, but...

okay, I was apparently reading it wrong. Mega-Aggron's stats are up on the top right. My apologies; apparently it is pure Steel-type.
...and I have no idea what to feel about that.

Edit:

It's okay, I made the same mistake. That is the description for Aggron. . .
The description for Mega Aggron is in the top right corner.
I noticed this about the same time when I noticed its abilities said "Rock Head" and "Sturdy". I went "...wait a minute..."

Mega Tyranitar and Mega Gengar did not need to happen. These were excellent Pokémon in their own rights and designs and now Tyranitar looks like it had a bad hair day and Gengar looks like a demented Darmanitan. Aggron doesn't look awful. I like regular Aggron better than Mega, but they didn't mess him up terribly. Kangaskhan should have had an attack that could allow the baby to battle instead of Mega-Evolve. The starters' designs are not what I had anticipated. I like Greninja quite a bit, Chesnaught will grow onto me...but wow. Doesn't Delphox just look outright goofy or what?

From the leaks, I had hope for this generation. Save a few that were horrific, (Talonflame and Quilladin in particular), things were looking up. Call me an original 150 fanboy or whatever, but I'm very disappointed.

I think the reason [Mega Gengar] loses Levitate is, if you notice, he no longer floats. He has arms and "feet", and looks rather "heavy", almost "grounded" like in appearance..

But losing those Immunities will hurt, but I doubt anyone will run Mega Gengar instead of a more viable Mega. But Gengar is still good in OU, even non-Mega.

@NotSeen, given that they all originated from the same general area, there are some similarities. There are many cognates, but most importantly, I think, is the grammatical and colloquial similarities.

NotSeen said:
And btw., the final evo's of starters…

… terrible. I don't like none of them. Including their names:
Chesnaught. Its naughty!
Delphox… is it dolphin or fox? :D Maybe delta fox?
Greninja. Why? Just why? I was “satisfied” when it continuous from Froakie to Frogadier and now this?
When I look at them, they're uglier and uglier. The most horrible design I've expected. It just seems wrong to me. But, it's my opinion, of course.
Actually Chestnaught refers to the Chestnut and a Dreadnaught once of the best navy ships during WW2, Delphox refers to Delphi (The place where oracles where made) and a fox.

NotSeen said:
And btw., the final evo's of starters…

… terrible. I don't like none of them. Including their names:
Chesnaught. Its naughty!
Delphox… is it dolphin or fox? :D Maybe delta fox?
Greninja. Why? Just why? I was “satisfied” when it continuous from Froakie to Frogadier and now this?
When I look at them, they're uglier and uglier. The most horrible design I've expected. It just seems wrong to me. But, it's my opinion, of course.

referring to Chesnaught, I think they were making a play on words of dreadnaught, which, since the chespin line is supposedly like a warrior/tank type pokemon makes sense. A dreadnaught is someone who is fearless and warriors are portrayed as fearless fighters.

I'm trying to figure out where the Gre- in Greninja comes from. Anyone have ideas?

DNA said:
I'm trying to figure out where the Gre- in Greninja comes from. Anyone have ideas?

It probably comes from "Grenouille", the French word for frog.

Mega Gengar with Shadow Tag is terrifying. Guh. I love Mega Aggron's design, though I'm confused as to why it's losing the Rock typing. Even with that loss, wouldn't Solid Rock be a more fitting ability than Filter? Kinda does the same thing o_O

… and when we are by the janapnesse, what I can read from the scans is:
えっ?こどもが大きくなった。
That means: “What? The kid grew up!”
Which would be great, instead of “What?! [name of Pokemon] is evolving!”

Mega Tyranitar and Mega Aggron look awesome. I have to admit that i'm not too hyped about most of the megas though (for example, didn't like mega kangaskhan, mega ampharos, mega gengar, mega venasaur, mega absol....) What worries me is if we get a chance to get more than one mega evolution stone. (for example, more than one charizardite y) Or at least, if we could trade stones. Cuz I LOVE mega charizard X, but I like Mega Aggron too . I like clawitzer, but i also love dragalge (an its typing too) I like xerneas, but i totally love Yveltal. I like mega mewtwo Y more than X but i need that tyranitar. The issue is i think i will buy Y, but the thing that i will never have a mega charizard X bugs me a little. That's why i hope GF allow the stones to be tradeable. (And i hope that mega evolutions don't count in the pokedex as one more pokemon, because if they do, i'll never complete the dex lol) Sorry for my english

NotSeen said:
Mega Gengar gets Shadow Tag. Is it just me or “they” (=the game designers) couldn't think anything worse? Shadow tag. That's so stupid. Although I like Mega Gengar's design, this decision was a step aside.

You have no idea how Shadow tag is loved on the competitive scene, trapping your oponent its just evil, won't be surprise if Gengar becomes Uber or banned.

Anyway, Tyranitar remimds me of those giant monsters from Power Rangers, I like that :D resembles more of a Dark type.
Aggron, thank god they removed that Rock type, that's all I can say and he looks badass.
Kanghaskan, huh... Ok?
The starters, I love the concept of them, a twist from their prior evolutions, either Froggie or Fennekin for me.

I really like Mega Gengar.
Mega Tyranitar is just as cool, but I'm sad that I'll miss out on Mega Aggron, he was a big part of my team in the gen 3 days.

Mega Aggron - Another Reason why I'm getting Y
Mega Tyranitar- A Meh-ga evolution, OK but not great. (See what I did there?)
Mega Kangaskhan - No thanks.
Mega Gengar- Cool design, but I hate the fact that it has no real hands. It has messed up Gigalith hands. Really?

Wait a second... Shadow Tag is good? It isn't bad? o_0

Everyone on 4chan /vp/ was all like: "Nuuu~ Mega-Gengar sucks, he isn't viable, he doesn't have Levitate, he's not psychic, he's useless, blah blah.."

Shadow Tag: "While this Pokemon is Active, opposing Pokemon cannot switch out, excluding Pokemon holding Shed Shell or having the Shadow Tag ability. Pokemon using U-Turn or similar moves can also switch out (when using those moves)."

Easily one of the most powerful abilities in the game.

This set of mega evolutions really is amazing, but I'm just really disappointed that Mega Gengar isn't Ghost/Psychic after all... How long will it take them to make that combo? Mega Gengar doesn't even look like a poison type anymore...

But man, Mega Tyranitar and Mega Aggron look amazing with their official artwork. And Greninja's official artwork makes me love him even more. Delphox's did nothing to help it, but at least we know it still uses the stick...

The one thing that I find weird is Mega Kangaskhan. Why does it need a mega stone for the baby to come out? I can't help but thinking that while Kangaskhan is "mega evolving" (not really), the kid is undergoing a regular evolution. With Mega Kangaskhan, it looks much older and larger to the point where it probably wouldn't even fit in the pouch anymore. But why would it revert back into looking like a baby, and why does Kangaskhan have to undergo the mega evolution? It makes no sense...

Sheriff_K said:
Wait a second... Shadow Tag is good? It isn't bad? o_0

Everyone on 4chan /vp/ was all like: "Nuuu~ Mega-Gengar sucks, he isn't viable, he doesn't have Levitate, he's not psychic, he's useless, blah blah.."

I advise you to stay off of 4chan if you're looking for any useful or positive opinions.

Shadow Tag is a great ability for a special sweeper like Gengar.

DNA said:

either green the color of most toad/frogs or grenade because ninja's use smoke bombs that are very much like grenades in appearance

DNA said:
Shadow Tag: "While this Pokemon is Active, opposing Pokemon cannot switch out, excluding Pokemon holding Shed Shell or having the Shadow Tag ability. Pokemon using U-Turn or similar moves can also switch out (when using those moves)."

Easily one of the most powerful abilities in the game.
Yeah, at first I thought it sucked, then when I heard people say it's good I figured that must be because it even prevents U-Turn/Baton Pass, but now that you say it doesn't...

I think it sucks. I don't see why it can be useful at all, except for very specific circumstances. What are the odds of a Pokemon weak to your Gengar being the one stuck? What if your Gengar is weak to it, then you'll have to switch, freeing them as well?

Only use I see for Shadow Tag, aside from getting lucky and locking in a weak Pokemon (which will die next turn, and the opponent will bring in a resistant Pokemon, thus forcing you to switch, since they can't), is if there is a Pokemon that has Shadow Tag who can learn support or setup moves.

Back