(1) Isshu Starter's English Names Revealed! [11/22]

i think the reason why they renames the isshu region and not the others is becuase the other regions were based off of places in japan! but in the case of isshu its based off of america so they had to rename it for the AMERICAN VERSION. so hopefull that solves that case and everybody will stop complaining about it. i myself like it, its different and unique. i also like the new english names. tepig is funny, snivy just fits, and oshawotter is different. oh and something to think about, the people that are saying that deep black and vast white are racist sounding, are in fact racist themselves.[/align]

These are completely putrid names. Tepid??? REALLY? Oh well at least we still have Reshiram and Zekrom - _ -

oh and something to think about, the people that are saying that deep black and vast white are racist sounding, are in fact racist themselves.

What does that even mean? How can you be racist if you think something is racist that no-one else thinks is?

I need to post here more. Here are my ranks (note that I love them all these are just the ranks for me.

1. Oshawott (at first this name seemed weird but now I love it! Just imagine Oshawott saying his name! I'm surprised that Pokemon USA chose a better name than what everyone here said!) (wotter=puke)
2. Snivy (Great name for Americans! Snivy in the anime has a voice that goes perfect with this name!)
3. Tepig (I was hoping for Porklet but this is fine. I just don't find this name as catchy.)

2. Snivy (Great name for Americans! Snivy in the anime has a voice that goes perfect with this name!)

What does that mean? Does it make a reference to an American show? Or is it a patriotic name or something?

@Blob55 You are racist by believing that Vast White and Deep Black are racist because you have negative thoughts and concerns about the specific topic and are over exaggerating because the names have nothing to do with skin color. Why even bother, guys...

And really guys, the game is now ruined because you dislike the U.S. names for the Pokemon? Oh for the love of... there are such things as nicknames you know! And complaining about the region name, hey, there would have been complaining if they had kept "Isshu" or had modified it as well!

@Blob55 You are racist by believing that Vast White and Deep Black are racist because you have negative thoughts and concerns about the specific topic and are over exaggerating because the names have nothing to do with skin color. Why even bother, guys...

I said I didn't like the names, not the Pokémon. If I didn't like the Pokémon because one was Black or White, then that would be racist.

Tepig is a play on words. It sounds very similar to 'tepid', but incorporates the porcine aspect of the 'mon. Snivy, yes, it was one of many being bandied around pre-release, but I feel that it is a good name too. Oshawott. Well, it's weird but wonderful. I always felt that Mijumaru was going to be the hardest to name, but I was not prepared for something like this. But, me likes!

And please - you people complaining incessantly about the quality of the names - please don't. It gets tiring, and no-one learns anything.

I personally have no problem with the names of the Pokemon (I mean, Tepig is kind of not what we were expecting, and Oshawott is a bit strange, but we'll get used to them.) What I don't get, however, is the region's name change. They only romanized the names of all the other regions, but here, they changed it completely. "Unova" sounds alright, I guess, and we'll all get used to it, especially once the games are released in America.

Pokemon keep getting more stupid every generation, that goes for the names as well. This is why, unless they start getting a little better at naming and designing pokemon, the franchise is going to start getting crummy.

I suppose the first generation will always be the best ;o

What I don't get, however, is the region's name change. They only romanized the names of all the other regions, but here, they changed it completely. "Unova" sounds alright, I guess, and we'll all get used to it, especially once the games are released in America.

Unova sounds like a Cave. They probably changed it because it'd be too hard to Romanize Isshu. Isshu -> Issue/Isue. I don't think the New Yorkans want their place in Pokémon to be called that.

Well, do you think Nintendo try to make bad Pokémon? Do you think that, after Gen I, they thought, hey, let's make our Pokemon rubbish? No, they didn't. The first gen is still incorporated in these games today - and in a game so many times better in terms of graphics and mechanics.

If you find yourself having nothing good to say about Pokémon, maybe it's time to stop playing.

Unova was renamed for many reasons.
First of all, it would be extremely lazy of them to simply romanize "Isshu" and change one or two letters.
If any of you actually care, "Unova" means "one new" and "Isshu" means "one variety." They've focused more on MEANING than on the NAME itself. And Isshu, even romanized, is still Japanese. Why would a Pokemon region based on the Americas have a Japanese-esque name?

@Blob55 How does Unova sound like a "cave?" What does a "cave" sound like? It would be too lazy to romanize Isshu, and it's correctly referred to as New YORKERS, not New YORKANS, and New Yorkers have nothing to do with this.

@Elite Stride If you don't favor the newer generations, what are you still doing here? I don't understand...

There's no need to get on the offense now. I've always been a pokemon fan, i'm simply pointing out some things that I don't necessarily like comming into the new generations. They don't even have Brock in the anime anymore... next thing you know, Ash will be gone. If they stray too far away it won't even be the same thing all of us "veterans" got to know and love.

Psh, you don't need to agree with me. I'm simply challenging discussion. Maybe you shouldn't be on a discussion forum if you can't controll your emotions. :shy:

Oh, and I didn't say they purposely make bad pokemon. If they made such good ones the first time around, they can be creative and do it again. But from the looks of it, they arn't putting much into the 5th generation pokemon.

They're putting as much as they can, you just are too nostalgic or aren't used to them. In the future people will be saying how wonderful Unova was and how suckish their region is. People complain about Pokemon being too different or too same, this is a new generation, new region, and new hemisphere of the Pokeverse. They can change as much as they want. Pokemon becoming worse each generation is irrelevant to this discussion, although I am willing to discuss it further.

And such good ones the first time around? Kanto may have been classic, I admit, but what good are exploding pokeballs, floating magnets, a purple blob, a yellow mouse, a giant bear or torso-less moles? They aren't good at all, they were classic, but they don't have good designs- most of them anyways. Learn to accept new things.

@Blob55 How does Unova sound like a "cave?" What does a "cave" sound like? It would be too lazy to romanize Isshu, and it's correctly referred to as New YORKERS, not New YORKANS, and New Yorkers have nothing to do with this.

It just sounds like a cave to me. Like, Unova Cave has an Event only Legendary. Unova mean new one, so an Event Legendary would also be a new one, since no-one has used that Pokémon before going to the Unova cave.
I forgot it's called New Yorkers.

Also, if you're so sure that Unova isn't going to be Japanese in any way, then why are there Japanese-style Pokémon? Why is everyone in Hiun city wearing a suit? (People in Japan like to dress up in suits when at work, while in America, only people who work in offices tend wear suits). There was one line in the game where a guy mentioned business cards, while in the Western world, people don't use buisness cards as much. You're saying, that just because Isshu is based on America, everything Japanese about it has to be removed from the American version?

Thank you, nikohesus, for that interesting information of yours. It enlightens me that little bit more.

And @ Elite Stride - Well, you just need to adapt to new Pokemon if you want to continue developing with the franchise. Nintendo ain't gonna go back to the simplistic designs they had for the first gen.

I guess you're not comprehensive enough to understand what i'm getting at, and you're right, this is getting off topic so i'm going to end it here.

But as a final thought, it has nothing to do with embracing the change, it has to do with the questionable quality within some of the new pokemon. And i'm in no way saying the 5th generation is down the drain yet.

Back