(1) Isshu Starter's English Names Revealed! [11/22]

Wow, I'm shocked! I thought I would be the only person to like Oshawott's name! Oh well.... I think all three names are epic, I don't find anything wrong with them.

Noooooo wtf. Unova region? Holy smokes WHY. WHY.

AND WHERE'S OUR DEAR WOTTER, SMUGLEAF AND PIGNITE? T.T

Bah nvm Oshawott sounds cute enough for Mijumaru. Tepig is just a bit weird.

Embuoh better be Emboar lol. And is the romanized Jalorda going to make it into the final list?

OSHAWOTT SHALL BE THE NEW MUDKIP.

...Now that I think about it,and while listening to the Araragi Research Lab Music.....THESE NAMES ARE GREAT! :D

They actually have something that makes sense:

Snivy is a little bit weird,but not really bad either
Tepig is cuteness :3
Oshawott....*explodes from creativity and way too many cuteness*

I dont see what wrong with the name like tsujara....no smugleaf...i mean snivy.
Give it time just like the last time, and the time before that. If people can get iver the woobiness of mijumaru....oshawott and like most of the new pokemon in a few months, people will learn to love it to.
Wonder what oshawott comes from?
Unova is so cool. New region, new name that doesnt follow oldie rules. Besides ishhu had issues XD

I don't mind them at all. Nice names, better than I thought they'd be.

Although Tepig will take some getting used to...

Unova an Isshu about the starter names? I sure dont, Oshawott is fun to say imo ! Tepig i can live with, and Snivy is just...well u know ;)

Hard to please fans, are hard to please. May i let you know i just took a 1 and a half hour italian exam, but it's easier than listening to this. It's good that more people are joining but when they join and come here straight away without reading the rules is jut plain frustrating. I mean one guy said that Smugleaf Piglit and Wotter are better names and that we can't deny it". DONT tell me what i can and cannot deny, given this is the first generation i learned about the japanese stuff first, it's quite annoying when you look at the fan base. One guy made a comment say "I will always use the japanese names" and he said that if someone asked him why he would say get stuffed or something. Really? We only know 7 english names, if zorua and Zoroark are the english names, and you guys are picking on the starters? You can have your opinions and i'm sorry if i sound mean but it's annoying to come home and see a thread which is flooded with "OH no, it's not what i expected."

Of course, it's hard to guess the names corectly. You can like names you can hate, but really too much hate is annoying, you'll feel better about them soon if you don't it doesn't matter it's up to you. But don't we still have like 150 names roughly to find out about, i'm sure your not going to hate all of them forever. But enough of the rant and sorry, i just needed to get that off of my chest.

Now for the pronunciation WPM, i think is the closest to being right,

Sny - vee
Ter - Pig (Like the stupid way of saying The pig)
Osha - Watt(As in electric watts but it's actually watt, as in ott from otter)

Now for Unova,
I think this is very creative for the USA name, it means lots of things

Uova - Italian for egg(Symbolizing new life, or just new in general)
But put a N after the U and it's like UN as in UNited States of America
As someone said it could be like UNited states OV America
or from the Latin words "Unum" + "Nova," which mean "One New."
But i will miss Isshu though, but it's not that big of an "Isshu".
Anyway i can't wait to find out about more english names, whenever that will be. I can't wait to see the starters names in the english anime and i love all of the names especially my guess "Snivy" and Janoby might be Slivine or Snyvine.
I swear i have heard of a word that sound like snive and it means like to be a snob or maybe i am imagining things.

lol @ Oshawott. Well on the bright side all those Wotter guessers got it half right.

For some reason Oshawott sounds to me like some Turkish/East European town. Or cuisine.

I'll probably still be calling Unova by its Japanese name. Short names with "va" in them sound to me like some Russian/East European town. Or cuisine.

At this point I don't even give my opinion anymore. I just come on here and read how much all the pokémon fans hate new pokémon. Maybe you all should just petition Nintendo to stop making pokémon. You might as well. Apparently you will never be happy again.

Aww..

Wow! Why does the stupidity of useless complaining never end!? For those complaining, you will get over it and if you don't then don't get upset at others who don't.

Anyway I just figured out why I love Oshawott. Whenever I say, here, or think about the name I here the Doc from 'Back to the Future' saying 'Gigawatts!'

I got 1 out of 3 right! That snide little Snivy.

I didn't expect Tepig, but I actually like it. I still like Pignite better, though.

As for Oshawott...I have no idea, but it's interesting I guess. They did include the "Wott" from Wotter at least!

The Unova Region sounds pretty cool. I lol'ed when I saw the first possible explanation for the name, but the Latin explanation makes sense, too. Yay for being the first game to completely rename the region in the English versions!

Ok. Snivy is the best (I always liked that name, better than Smugleaf), Oshawott is nice although a bit weird, and Tepig is just f bad, but I guess I'll get used to it.

But I'm a bit astounished that they totally changed the Region name. I mean, Unova sounds good but we're all used to Isshu and we've always got the region names almost intact.
And I'm a bit mad they changed the classifications of Reshiram & Zekron. They totally screwd up the whole concept of the Yin Yang the games brought.

According to my personal guess, Oshawott = Oshawa + Otter

So there you have it. Mijumaru's actually an otter from a city in Canada :cool:

Now I'm a little confused on tepig. Would it be pronounced \ˈte-pig\ or \ˈtē-pig\

You mean Ottowa?

No, Oshawa is a different city.

Although Ottowa would have fit too - Ottowa...Otter...Yeah, I think Mijumaru would have come out Canadian no matter how they spun it :p

Too bad about the pure Water-typing, though. Water/Fighting would have been awesome, but now that we know he's Canadian, they had the option of Water/Ice too! What's wrong with you GF and these missed opportunities?

When I first saw the names all I could think of was how stupid and uncreative they seemed. Then I thought of the super awesomely cool and creative names we've had in past generations like Seel and Krabby, and realized these names aren't that terrible.

Snivy totally fits Tsutaaja. Oshawott is just a cool sounding name and it makes me glad I'm picking Mijumaru. Tepig will take a little getting used to. I think they could have done a little better with this one. I'm hoping Pokabu's evolutions have some more kick-grass sounding names.

I like snivy, don't mind tepig, but oshawott is quite weird then again everything suggested for mijumaru was weird anyways.

Back