(1) Isshu Starter's English Names Revealed! [11/22]

Tsuki64 :
Oshawott and Tepig sound...odd, to say the least
Tepig don't only sound weird, it actually doesn't EVEN fit with him (if tepid + pig is really the etymology)... And Oshawott sounds strangely Canadian... o-o

Omg... MANY people were screaming: "Oh! Tsutaja should be named Snivy!" and now, when it IS actually called Snivy, people who said that is COMPLAINING about the name they said themself? Omg...

Fans, what'd we do without them?

Oshawott actually sounds kinda cool, now that I've said it a few times. Tepig still sounds weird.

@Elfteiroh: Yeah, when I think of Tepig, Pokabu doesn't come to mind. For a sec, I thought that name was for Munna (Tepig kind of sounds like Tapir).

I actually think ALL TEH LEGENDARIES will keep their Japanese names:

Victini OR Victiny
Cobalon
Terrakion
Virizon
Tornelos
Voltolos
Reshiram
Zekrom
Landlos
Kyurem(u)
Keludio
Meloetta (If GF messes this Pokemon name up,I WILL KILL THEM!I just love Meloetta :3)
Genosect

And almost always legendaries keep their japanese names ._.

The Pokemon right now that I think has the worst name would be the fires starter (Tepig). I just don't see how the name exactly fits it. Though after seeing it more and actually playing the game in English I will start getting used to it.

Though I am glad that Zekrom and Reshiram are keeping their names.

Those are terrible. The only one who needed changing was Tsuraja.

Pokabu was cute and sounded close enough to Pork to be an english pun aswell as a Japanese one. The japanese voice is adorable too, I doubt the english cast could make 'Tepig' sound as cute.

Mijumaru was meant to invoke a Samurai, why remove a very japanese name and give it something as silly as "Oshawott". Because when I think Oshawott, I think Japan. >_>

Snivy is a terrible name, but Tsuraja needed changing, it doesn't sound western or ... anything but Japanese. But Snivy? SNIVY? Damn, Smugleaf was better than that. Hell, since he is vaguely French, something French would have been appropriate.

I wonder if the French and German names are better.

Pokabu actually fitted the fire starters name, though they had to change it.

The logo of the games are really cool looking. Though since I haven't played the games yet, I can finally enjoy them soon in English around 2011.

Snivy (Snake + Ivy) fits the Grass Starter fine,
Oshawott (Ocean + Water + Otter) sounds good,
only one that irks me is for the Fire Starter Tepig (???) 0_o

I didn't like how the English version changed the aspect of Yin and Yang in Black/White to "Vast White" and "Deep Black" due to religious regions for which they always try to avoid since Gen I which is person IMO.

Unova Region? So now we have the first Pokemon Region not named after a Japanese one or that sounds similiar cause the people at Nintendo of America are stupid. I know they're trying to gear the franchise towards kids but they're going too far IMO.

Isshu did sound alot better, why the sudden change Nintendo? -____-

Offtopic: I'm guessing the person who came up with with Smugleaf is hitting himself right now. Ontopic: I think Snivy really fits it, i knew that would be it's name because it should be related to ivy.

Starters names I can get used to. But WHY change the region name? I mean, NEVER have they changed the region's name from the Japanese version. It's just silly.
Now I'm even more glad I played it in Japanese.

Saw Snivy coming, Tepig might go over an 8 year-old's head, but OSHAWOTT? Sounds like they smacked 'Ocean' 'Water' and 'Otter' together at the last second.....

Unless they were trying to make it sound like Ocelot. But that itself raises more questions than answers, since Ocelots are felines....

:/ Looks like I'll be using Wotter after all.... At least until I get used to the names, that is

"Tepid" is another word for hot or boil-water + "Pig"... well its great put together, but it still is a bit strange name IMO X

Mucrush:
"Tepid" is another word for hot or boil-water + "Pig"... well its great put together, but it still is a bit strange name IMO X

From the thesaurus:
Synonyms: apathetic, cool, disinterested, dull, halfhearted, indifferent, languid, lifeless, mild, milk-warm, moderate, slightly warm, spiritless, temperate, unenthusiastic, unlively, warm, warmish
Antonyms: cold, hot

K2wiechelt:
Is Oshawott maybe a combo of otter and wash? These new names are Definatly different.

I see it more as Oshawa (a town in Canada) + Otter

Back