(1) Isshu Starter's English Names Revealed! [11/22]

I personally prefered "Ivyper" for Tsutaja myself, but "Ohsawatt"!? What on Earth were these guys smoking, considering that one of the translators of D/P/Pt was a Something Awful Goon (Bulbapedia even says so), you would KNOW by now it would be Smugleaf, but apparently, that guy is not doing the B/W translations, seriously, what does "Ohsawatt" even mean, it's sounds appropriate.... IN GERMANY, but here in North America, we don't refer to them by such naming, in Germany, they call one Pokemon "Musteflott", over here, we call that Pokemon "Floatzel", I think "Snivy" is better than "Smugleaf", but worse than "Ivyper"....

These are the worst names ever, I thought Piplup was a horrible name (compared to it's counterparts Turtwig and Chimchar, until now, I always reffered to Piplup as it's original Japanese name, Pochama), but now it's actually good compared to these ones, my names for them were INFINETLY better (Ivyper, Pyroink, and Aquotter) it's obvious Nintendo hates their fanbase, Pokemon is ruined FOREVER!!!!! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER

Well, on the upside, at least the region has a cool name, even though it was unnessicary, as all the regions until now have kept their original Japanese name:
  • Kanto- Kanto
  • Joto- Johto (All they did was add an H)
  • Hoen- Hoenn (An extra N was added)
  • Ore- Orre (An extra R was added)
  • Sevii Islands- Nana Islands (Drastic change, Nana is Japanes for "Seven")
  • Fiore- Fiore (No change at all)
  • Shino- Sinnoh (Most likely altered because of the Naruto character Shino)
  • Arumia- Almia (Romanized)
  • Ouburibia- Oblivia (Romanized)

Oshawott makes no sense at all and I'm just glad Tsutaaja is not called Smugleaf. Smugleaf is just a horrible fan name.

Geeze, now I feel like a jerk for disliking Tepig. Now that I know what tepid means, It sounds a lot better, where as before it sounded...odd.

"One New"? That's actually pretty good. I'd have never thought about that, probably because I'm not good with giving things meaning deeper than a kiddie-pool.

@Masterge77: "Pokemon is ruined FOREVER" is over-exaggerating things a little, don't you think? A few odd names can't really ruin a series in one go. Also, it's better if Nintendo didn't listen to their fanbase - most of the time they just whine and moan about crap that doesn't even matter, like, say, the name of a certain character. If Nintendo did listen, people would still be upset and go on to complain that "Nintendo haets uz ))))):".

I don't know about you, but I am utterly shocked at the fact that they've broken the tradition of having 2 syllable regions. Kanto. Johto. Hoenn. Sinnoh. Unova? NO! It's Isshu. Forever, it shall be Isshu. Just, no.

Also, I don't like any of their names. They're as uncreative as the names for the ones from 3rd gen. Tepig? Really? As if the word "Pig" doesn't immediately jump out at you. SNIVY??? What!! I heard this name so much before, I prayed it wasn't going to be true. What idiot at Pokemon said, "ROFLOL, I LIEKZ THE NAME SNIVY!" It sounds dumb. The only one I think I can not ridicule for unoriginality is Oshawott, but still, that name is pretty lame, and a tad bit drawn out. It still sounds like you're saying a long Japanese name.

Although I'm a bit glad to see Tsutaaja go, I will NOT let go of Pokabu and Mijumaru. They are here to stay.

baww the english names suck, NOT.
I LOVE the names, better than smugleaf and wotter... those names are just stupid IMO... very stupid...
Unova sounds great...
and there's nothing wrong with something different than the "traditional 2 syllable regions..."
I like isshu better myself, if you don't like the english then play the japanese...
Things change, get over it.

I wish there was more people who feel positive about the english version of the games...

Opinions are opinions, but there are things such as reasonable opinions.

If I say George W. Bush was an evil person, that's my opinion. However, it is based off of ignorance, poor judgment and lack of knowledge and reason.

Most of you are basing your opinions of the names- the names only- on instinct and your desire to hate what is new due to you being so used to the original names. Is it wrong? No, but you should fix it. You're using your rights and other excuses to cover up your natural reactions, but you're not really haters unless you still hate the names for no good reason thirty years after the games are released.

And guys, about the region name, just because they haven't changed it and kept it a two syllable name doesn't mean they can't do it now. Generation has many differences from the originals, and the region names match it. Isshu means one variety, Unova means one new- one whole. They stopped being lazy keeping the Japanese names and focusing more on meaning. Also, Unova is based on the Western Hemisphere. Keeping the Japanese name or making it Issho would seem awkward and uncreative.

I can`t believe i guessed Snivy it was just probable, well it seems like it will take some time getting used to these names

Ugh. I hate the new names.... IMO They sound really messed up. I hope their evolved forms' names are better, so that I don't have to waste time thinking of a nickname because I don't want to see "Go, Snivy!" whenever I enter a battle. Dx

~A+G

I am mostly pleased with the names although I have two small "isshus" with them. Oshawott makes me want to throw up in my mouth and Unova was a completely useless change. The change works, there was just no reason for it. I also would have preferred Smugleaf to Snivy, but it's really alright. Also, those logos look completely bomb, so I'm pleased for those.

dmaster out.

Hmmm ok there all right Tepig ? thats a real type of pig if im correct but spelled Teapig XD
And Unova??? i thought were using Isshu.....Why change it? Isshu sounds sooo good!!

My name's were wayyy off!! But im hopen Chaoboo will be Chubaboar! and Enbuoh be Emburnhog :D

Mata ne!!

This happens every generation, but give it a few weeks and everyone will like them. You guys just aren't used to them yet after seeing the Japanese names for so long. I love Oshawott's name now. Snivy is a little unoriginal IMO, and Tepig is a little hard to say, but they're all good I think.

Imagine the situation as being stuck in Japan for so long and when you move to the United States you hate it.

Oh, wai...

They're no more simple or uninspired than other starter names.

I mean: Treecko (tree gecko)? Chimchar (chimp char)? Turtwig (turtle twig)? Squirtle (squirt + turtle)?

What's so surprising / bad about: Snivy (snake ivy)?

Snivy's no worse or more plain than Treecko.

I do think the definition of tepid doesn't quite match up with Tepig however - unless as it evolves the names reflect an increase in temperature. Like... Tepid (Pokabu) -> Hot (Chaobuu) -> Blazing (Emboar), for a lame example.

P.S. I like the names (especially Oshawott). As for Unova -> United States of (/ov) A(merica)

Snivy sounds cool. Tepig is ok I guess and Oshawott reminds me of OshKosh B'gosh. :D There's really nothing wrong with the names since we will grow used to them over time.

Hatred go away.
I mean really all you guys do on BW news is hate. Forums are not for hate. They are for discussion. These name are fine. "Ivyper was better! Omgz Pokemanz suckz!" you guys really think they are that bad? I'm just happy because almost nobody guessed the names. How can so many people hate the names. Some of you I'm not surprised because you guys hate on all the news. Here's my opinion

Snivy- nice cute and catchy by kids. Can't you just imagine the anime snippy saying it's name. Nice name and is a great name for a starter.

Tepig- a unpredictable name but is cute. I prefer this an pokabu equally. I like how the names ate different!

Oshawott- great name but weird at the same time. It is hated but IMo it's fine. (I'm still nicknaming him "snowcone"

Unova- cool but is weir that PC changed the name.

Logo's are the only things I do not like because they don't look normal.

*slides pickled salty barbed spears into my eyes*
OH MY GOD THE HORROR!
I'm sorry I just hate these. And to be honest, I'd much rather do what I said I did in line one than read the names again.

When I first saw Zekrom and Reshiram, I know it would be like the Kanto. It looked WAY different from the other pokemon so i knew it would be a fresh start!

I just thought of something! un in Unova could stand for United Nations??? Just a thought.
The names for the American starters? OK. Oshawott needs some geting used to... Snivy is cool:) Tepig... NO! IT'S Pokabu!!!!!
Still cool though.

I'm sure I'm going to get used to them eventually. I keep thinking tepid as uninterested though, so I can't fit that with Pokabu/Tepig yet.

I'm really trying to figure out how to pronounce Oshawott...does it sound like "ocean" or is it more of an "ah" sound at the beginning?

Back