(1) 'Freeze Bolt' and 'Cold Flare' Scans, Translations Coming Soon! [7/11]

Keeper Of Night said:
Use Tool Scraper to discard your Tool on Garbordor, keep using Amoongus' ability. Get more OHKOs with more Raticates.

in one turn you need: one amoongus to drop, a tool for garbodor, a tool scrapper and a devolution spray if you have only 1 benched foongus (which happens rather often considering you can't possibly run emolga and you only have an avarage of 6 balls out of 60 cards)
in order to win the game, repeat all of this six times. huh, and of course this can occur only if you have previously set up raticate AND garbodor, preferably by turn 2 or 3. and also a couple of rattata, because you know, 80 hp for a stage 1 is pretty much low and they OKHO raticates as much as you OHKO opponent's pokemon... (oh, and 80hp only if you have aspertia in play). hard times, i guess.. i'm nonetheless optimistic about this raticate, a way to make it a very good card will be soon found.

niccoide199cq said:
i'm nonetheless optimistic about this raticate, a way to make it a very good card will be soon found.

I have no problem with Amoonguss/Raticate as an idea, I just think Garbodor is one of the worst possible pairs for it.

priestkalim said:
I just think Garbodor is one of the worst possible pairs for it.

agreed. i can't quite understand hugh translation. i mean, is it 'draw' or 'discard'? it makes no sense unless it's 'discard'

niccoide199cq said:
i can't quite understand hugh translation. i mean, is it 'draw' or 'discard'? it makes no sense unless it's 'discard'

It's both. If a player has 6 or more cards in his or her hand, he or she must discard cards. If a player has 4 or less cards in his or her hand, he or she must draw cards.

priestkalim said:
That sounds like a great way to waste resources, especially since you would need to also have another tool to reattach to Garbodor. Every single turn you would need a Devolution Spray, a Tool Scrapper, a Tool, and a way to keep streaming Raticates.

niccoide199cq said:
in one turn you need: one amoongus to drop, a tool for garbodor, a tool scrapper and a devolution spray if you have only 1 benched foongus (which happens rather often considering you can't possibly run emolga and you only have an avarage of 6 balls out of 60 cards)
in order to win the game, repeat all of this six times. huh, and of course this can occur only if you have previously set up raticate AND garbodor, preferably by turn 2 or 3. and also a couple of rattata, because you know, 80 hp for a stage 1 is pretty much low and they OKHO raticates as much as you OHKO opponent's pokemon... (oh, and 80hp only if you have aspertia in play). hard times, i guess.. i'm nonetheless optimistic about this raticate, a way to make it a very good card will be soon found.

Your both forgetting that most decks that use Espeon dont use too many of it. Catcher it, KO it, and then you no longer need to set up Garbordor. Problem solved.

Keeper Of Night said:
Your both forgetting that most decks that use Espeon don't use too many of it. Catcher it, KO it, and then you no longer need to set up Garbordor. Problem solved.

yep that may be one way to go against espeon. anyway i think espeon will 'pop up' more often only if raticate (who else? gothitelle DRE?) will become BDIF. otherwise it won't see much play IMO

People use Espeon at all?

You know how I beat Raticate? I use any non-EX attacker in the game.

priestkalim said:

true, you beat it, but you have to setup faster or at least at same speed of raticate/amoongus. and, well, yes, that can be easily done :( my excitement about raticate is fading out...

Two Stage 1s without any sort of inherent speed and access to Level Ball, or any high tiered deck with basic attackers and/or inherent speed (Gabite) and access to Level Ball...Also, the former needs 2 energy (with a DCE) and no access to any acceleration while the latter all either have acceleration or attack for 1 energy.

Raticate/Amoonguss looks like it has a solid Darkrai/Hydreigon match on paper, at least.

Sickness, really? In what context? Does it seem more like that it inflicts an actual sickness onto the opposing Pokémon or more like the colloquial meaning? And Computer Search looks still old, even if it was revamped.

The new illustrators have interesting art styles, i think. himechu did a great job illustrating Charizard. Satoshi Shirai(?) is also a nice newcomer, but too similar to 5ban Graphics in my opinion. Speaking of whom, i really like his less generic art style, as seen on Scolipede, for example. Full Arts look surprisingly good and i am really excited for Cheren and Bianca. New shining texture looks, well, golden, way too much unneccesary bling in my opinion. I still like them, but hope there will be no Scrafty reprint posing with a gold chain in the next set.

I also would like to comment onto the competitive aspects, its a Trading Card Game, after all. However, i may miss some important aspects, so please feel free to correct me and reply.

Liepard could fulfill a similar role as Zoroark, but is handicapped due to it's low HP and high energy cost. Stoutland is also nice. There are lots of others to note but the ones i am most excited about are Raticate and Dusknoir. Aspertia City Gym could make up for Raticate's low HP. I didn't study the rules in a long time but would PlusPower work with Raticate or effectively do just the same thing? Dusknoir could have a lot of troll potential if you catch some high-HP-basics and split the damage to cripple their support. Too bad Super Fang needs three colorless energy.

out of this set anyway i only see keldeo/blastoise, raticate/amoongus, wailord/fliptini/blastoise. at the moment. very interested in ditto's ability, but i'm waiting for a more precise translation (since i couldn't get the point out of it). what about exploud first attack? 'discard all items' sounds the meanest thing on earth.

Dusknoir/Flygon/Max Potion and Blastoise/Keldeo are all I can see being even tested competitively, to be honest.

priestkalim said:

You do that and then I KO everything because it can't OHKO me. :p
edit: You would need to OHKO Raticate to effectively cripple the deck.

priestkalim said:
Dusknoir/Flygon/Max Potion and Blastoise/Keldeo are all I can see being even tested competitively, to be honest.

Dusknoir Flygon dies in this format. There's a thread in the Alternate formats that tried to have this deck made but it has too many flaws.
It dies to Garchomp.
It dies to Sableye.
It dies to Garbodor:
It has bad matchups against EXs.
Its great on paper, but Garchomp OHKOs it, Sableye recycles catcher to bring up dusknoir so the spread stops and you need a switch. Once Dusknoir dies, you lose. The damage buildup is pointless because then you cant move it w/o Dusknoir.

why flygon being so hyped? it's a dragon, garchomp destroys it. running no energy allows room for disruption, but you drop trapinch, i drop no more than 2 monsters on bench other than my active and that's all, for a total of 60 damage per turn, starting from turn 2 if you're super-fast. too low damage output dealt from a 2 stage 2's deck IMO

Keeper Of Night said:
You do that and then I KO everything because it can't OHKO me. :p
edit: You would need to OHKO Raticate to effectively cripple the deck.

I can't OHKO you? Name a single Pokemon even slightly considered an attacker that cannot hit for 60.

I never said Dusknoir/Flygon would work, just that it would be tested. You said it best yourself

Its great on paper

Back