(1) First XY TCG Products Unveiled: 'XY Beginning Sets' [7/16]

Well, back into topic(not looking at anyone) I believe this is gonna work somehow like BLW:
Japan: Releases Beginning Set->X Collection+Y Collection
USA: Releases Base XY Set mixing those two above->Releases an Emerging Powers-Like set with the reminder of those.

Kalyst said:
signofzeta said:
It doesn't mean that TPCi and WOTC can't learn from each other, or that one trading card game company must do the opposite to what another trading card company does. In such cases there are some overlaps between MTG and Pokemon TCG.

"[...]while PTCi will do what they believe is best (even though it may not be the best choices?). [...]while MTG and Pokemon have similarities, it is ran very differently and as such should be treated differently in regards to how they handle product." Repeating what I'm essentially saying >.< They have their own ways of doing things, etc. etc...

Here we go, yet another MTG vs Pokemon TCG comparison. Speaking of the Red Genesect box, have you heard of the Premium Deck series that WOTC released for MTG in 2009, 2010, and 2011? Now me, I think the red genesect box will sell, while the PDS didn't. I also think neither will sell well if it was priced at $35 MSRP, and I am not comparing MTG and Pokemon here, as I think any all-foil deck will not sell for $35. The price is too steep.

Erp did you read the news post? The one that says it's MSRP will be $19.99? *sigh* Nevermind I think you're getting the purple Genesect Battle/collector box whatever the heck it is and the Red Genesect Collectors box mixed up (the purple one is 35$+ iirc, which I believe comes with packs, sleeves a deck box and something else)

With the Red Genesect box, the tins not being XY preview tins, it chances of the November release being the first XY set is going down. Whatever the first XY set is, I hope TPCi doesn't force it in, when Japan doesn't have their set ready yet, or doesn't have plans to synchronize the releases.

Now if they only made a super rare, ultra rare, or secret rare only structure deck for yugioh.

Ha. Ha. *slow sarcastic clap* I see what you did there...given Yugiohs history and the fact that Konami LOVES making money off the idiots who invest in it, they're better off just making all the stupid Hidden Arsenal packs full holo packs rather than making decks...

What I am saying is every company takes ideas from other companies if they have an common overlap. Even with different demographics, there is a common strategy that can work with both demographics, just because WOTC did theirs one way, doesn't mean that TPCi shouldn't even think of doing it the same way, or even the same way with some adjustments. You may not notice, but TPCi is "copying" WOTC some of the time in how they release products. ETB and fat packs come to mind, and now the Elite Series Triple Strike from Kaijudo and Red Genesect box, both costing $20.

As for the red genesect box, I was making a statement that if the red genesect box was $35, and filled with staple cards from all of Pokemon TCG, like how the PDS series contains staple cards of a certain theme from the entirety of Magic, it wouldn't sell, which means TPCi did the correct choice of making it $20 instead.

The thing about the all foil yugioh deck was a joke by the way, if you didn't notice.

I bet that you replied because I mentioned WOTC and MTG. If I never mentioned anything like that, you wouldn't have made a response, if I just said, TPCi should hand out free decks, your stance on the whole free deck idea would be different, because you don't have the whole WOTC and MTG to base off of. I only mentioned the free card thing working for Pokemon TCG, because I believe it would work for everything. People love free stuff.

All I am reading from you is, Company A and Company B are different, therefore they shouldn't take a single idea from one another, which is ludicrous. You only need to take a look at Wii, Kinect and Move to know that this is the case, but hey, if you feel that TPCi shouldn't make a lot of money, then it is fine by me. It also wouldn't hurt to expand the target demographic.

Luispipe8 said:
Well, back into topic(not looking at anyone) I believe this is gonna work somehow like BLW:
USA: Releases Base XY Set mixing those two above->Releases an Emerging Powers-Like set with the reminder of those.

yeah, but the question is, when is Japan going to release their X collection and Y collection?

I said before that we never get a full set before the Japanese counterpart, and it is also true that Japan has full control over how the TPCi releases sets. What TPCi does is fully dependent on what Japan does. Japan also has no problems with releasing the base set of each generation two or three months after the release of the games, the most recent example being Black and White video games being released in September, and Black Collection and White Collection being released in December of that year, meaning there is a three month gap between VG and TCG. If Japan does this again, that means TPCi has hit a road block. The XY VG is released in October, and they just love to release the TCG set a month right after the VG release, or in the case of HGSS, one month before the VG release. I know for sure that they just have to release it one month before or after was because they could have released the BW base set in May, when they usually release their second of four annual sets, but they released it in April instead, now it is different. Ideally, they would release it in November, but if Japan doesn't have a set out, and I don't want google translated English, or Engrish all over the international cards, it is better to delay it to January. That's at least close, but not too far away. They would have to release EX battle boost, or something else for the November slot.

signofzeta said:
What I am saying is every company takes ideas from other companies if they have an common overlap. Even with different demographics, there is a common strategy that can work with both demographics, just because WOTC did theirs one way, doesn't mean that TPCi shouldn't even think of doing it the same way, or even the same way with some adjustments. You may not notice, but TPCi is "copying" WOTC some of the time in how they release products. ETB and fat packs come to mind, and now the Elite Series Triple Strike from Kaijudo and Red Genesect box, both costing $20.

As for the red genesect box, I was making a statement that if the red genesect box was $35, and filled with staple cards from all of Pokemon TCG, like how the PDS series contains staple cards of a certain theme from the entirety of Magic, it wouldn't sell, which means TPCi did the correct choice of making it $20 instead.

The thing about the all foil yugioh deck was a joke by the way, if you didn't notice.

Which is why I said *sarcastic dry laugh* *facepalms*

I bet that you replied because I mentioned WOTC and MTG. If I never mentioned anything like that, you wouldn't have made a response, if I just said, TPCi should hand out free decks, your stance on the whole free deck idea would be different, because you don't have the whole WOTC and MTG to base off of. I only mentioned the free card thing working for Pokemon TCG, because I believe it would work for everything. People love free stuff.

CLEARLY you did not read a word I said in my VERY first post on this thread and I'm tired of quoting myself-go back and read what I said. I clearly stated that its up to the TO's how they want to do it and it depends on each location (i.e. card shops) because, while people like free stuff, I'm sure the businesses wouldn't just want a bunch of in and out. You're merely repeating what I just said and THEN making claims and drawing conclusions that aren't there. For that particular point " TCPi should just hand out free decks..." REGARDLESS of the company that did or did not get mentioned, I would have said the same thing-

1) depends on who's organizing it (TO's, Professors, Judges, Reps whatever)
2) Depends on a location by location basis (i.e. each individual store
3) Stores want to profit and some stores may or may not enjoy the in- and-out foot traffic that it could cause with very few people buying stuff depending on location etc. (and this is just a hypothetical, usually most business like ANY sort of advertising that doesn't require them to do much of anything within their normal routines)

All I am reading from you is, Company A and Company B are different, therefore they shouldn't take a single idea from one another, which is ludicrous. You only need to take a look at Wii, Kinect and Move to know that this is the case, but hey, if you feel that TPCi shouldn't make a lot of money, then it is fine by me. It also wouldn't hurt to expand the target demographic.

And you missed what I just meant in the whole thing. You're now just shooting your mouth off feeling important and bloating your paragraphs with nonsense, which is trying my patience.

You read incorrectly-They should be treated differently because they have different management. Plain and simple. Whether they want to use ideas about marketing is up to them, and if they don't or want to try something different, oh well. But even though they will do "similar" things, I never said they SHOULD NOT. Read again-I said whether they do or NOT, it is up to them and they can make bad choices if they want and we can critique them on it. Urgh, I hate repeating myself, but you seem to enjoy it alot.

Luispipe8 said:

*see my replies about my possible predictions (but because people, not looking at anyone, can't read sometimes)

+I would hope that they would do an international release, and if PTCi would do one, I could see a combo of EX battle boost, XY and any shiny collection (if they feel like porting that over) That would require a bigger translation team, like how XY has a bigger translation team. And the only reason I could see that is because of our NXD rotation and the fact that people here in the US Usually (not always) won't go back and re-buy older packs/tins etc. and making it accessible in the newer set gives PTCi the chance to have sales, both form people who are wanting the new XY stuff but also anyone who likes the reprints and want to make fun decks/collect.

Kalyst said:

3) Stores want to profit and some stores may or may not enjoy the in- and-out foot traffic that it could cause with very few people buying stuff depending on location etc. (and this is just a hypothetical, usually most business like ANY sort of advertising that doesn't require them to do much of anything within their normal routines)

Yeah, but that isn't the case when WOTC handed out their free sample decks for MTG and Kaijudo, noting that MTG is for adults, and Kaijudo is for kids, so I guess that free pokemon cards are more of a hot commodity than free MTG cards? Doubt it. The purpose of the free MTG sample decks is for WOTC to get newer players interested in the game, and as a secondary effect, be part of the store's community. It is sad to see that most stores only care about two things, Magic, and Yugioh. The other games they play would be Cardfight Vanguard, and World of Warcraft, but nobody plays Pokemon. All I ask is to spread the game out a bit, and have stores start pokemon TCG communities, and have them gather at one central location, rather than have multiple communities in someone's basement all cut off from each other. Free samples would happen for the duration of the month, and for each generation only, so the stampede of customers in the store looking for free 30 card decks, that only contain commons and uncommons anyway, and probably contain no value, wouldn't happen every day.

You read incorrectly-They should be treated differently because they have different management. Plain and simple. Whether they want to use ideas about marketing is up to them, and if they don't or want to try something different, oh well. But even though they will do "similar" things, I never said they SHOULD NOT. Read again-I said whether they do or NOT, it is up to them and they can make bad choices if they want and we can critique them on it. Urgh, I hate repeating myself, but you seem to enjoy it alot.

I'm stating the fact that TPCi should take a page from WOTC's book because organized play is so poor in some places, heck, I even think that TPCi should expand the target audience. It is obvious that younger children are more unlikely to play in tournaments, than tweens would, so why should they not make some products for the tournament player, no not just the tournament player, the average player? The ETB is a good start though, and so is the red genesect box. Not only that, the whole free deck thing is also to get new players interested.

Now back to the topic at hand, because you know, I mentioned the free deck thing as a substitute when there aren't enough XY cards to warrant a full set come November.

When we get XY is all dependent on Japan. If XY1 were to be released in Japan in December, and we have to release a set in November, and TPCi combines EX battle boost, shiny collection, and the XY beginning sets, and called it X and Y, that would leave a sour taste in my mouth. Would you be happy if Call of Legends was called Black and White, and also has cards from the BW beginning sets in addition to the cards from Call of Legends? Considering that the deluxe version of the beginning set is released in November 15, there is a fat chance that Japan would release X and Y collection in that month, which makes it a fatter chance that TPCi will get their first true XY set in november.

What I want to see in the first XY set is an XY set, not a mish mash of BW and XY cards, but for you, you don't really care about it. I'm sure TPCi can delay the XY set for 2 months, considering how Japan has no problems doing it in previous generations.

Looking at Japan and TPCi, Japan doesn't even look like it is trying to get XY out by November, considering their previous track record of not releasing their first TCG set per generation a month after the games' release, and TPCi doesn't look like they are getting ready for XY in November either, considering that they should have done preview tins, or box sets. The red genesect collection box could mean one of two things. As you say, they are trying to release as many of the unreleased Japanese BW stuff as possible before November, or the other reason may be that they are still in BW mode, and still releasing BW stuff all to the end of the year. The best bet would be to release BW in December or January. December taking the place of the November slot, and January taking the place of the February slot, because releasing a XY set that contains 30% XY cards is a horrible idea.

I mentioned before why releasing in November is a bad idea and this is only assuming Japan doesn't want to release thiers in November. You release XY1 in November and assuming that the XY generation follows the BW generation, meaning that the second XY set would be released in July in Japan, then what are you going to release in February and May? Go back to Black and White? The way the games are handled are different than the way the TCG is handled. The way X and Y video game is sold in Japan and everywhere else is exactly the same. The way Japan handles TCG products and sells them are different to how TPCi handles TCG products and sells them.

To make it short and simple, if an international released were to be done, I want TPCi to do it right. I don't want them to force the set in just so it can be released one month after the XY VG launch. I also want them to think a few sets ahead, and not right now, because as I said before, there wouldn't be enough XY material to release come May. The way you have it is similar to the way I have it except for this. EX battle boost and shiny collection would make up the final BW set in November, while the EX beginning set would be a side set, a box set, or some promotion you get for buying the video games, or whatnot, because frankly, releasing a BW set after a XY set is not a good idea. Like with anything, I'd rather not see a company force a product release just to meet a deadline. If it can't be done, then it can't be done.

CoL was OUR reprint set, which makes it a special case. The reason for it? It was created to BIDE time before B/W was released in the US, and it also released cards that Japan had, so technically it was a bloated mix/match set. They wouldn't make it a part of B/W because of this reason as well as format/ruling changes. Always keep in mind the format changes and tournaments/events not just "when they print/usually print." So the CoL mixed with B/W is a moot point and there's ample proof why that didn't and wouldn't happen...

Its not that I don't care (again stop over-extending and trying to find my thoughts it's not working are you're looking silly), but if they WERE to sync everything up, I could see them doing that, since we're doing something unusual (XY mass release with the video games and see the Pokemon management statements ). I'm simply saying that I could see it from that PoV (and it wouldn't make me sour as it's not the end of the world) in case they don't suddenly do a bunch of promotional products to fill the gaps on the cards we didn't get (Like the Red Genesect Box). And this is also my assumption and expectation based off of the funky NXD on rotation and while Japan still has access to cards that are about to be rotated in our format (though iirc they have something coming out called Palace Format).

EDIT: Love how you edited your post to fill in more stuff while I was gone. *facepalm* The video games are handled differently yes-but this is a rare opportunity to sync everything up both TCG and VG. TPCi would have access to the knowledge of what will be coming out from the XY beginning set as well as possibly what other cards will come out in a XY1 set. If any format changes happen, they can tailor it to that and do a batch release. If enough demand for the Shiny Collection, they might just make it like a DV thing which would be nice for our version. It all depends on what the format is gonna look like which will determine how the release is going to be handled. I hope I don't have to explain myself any further than this, otherwise I'll just start re-quoting myself cause we're just being a broken record now.

Back