(1) Carracosta, Cover Fossil Revealed from 'Red Collection' [7/1]

Something I don't understand is that if you play cover fossil and get Tirtouga out, can you evolve it into Carracosta? I think I'm being stupid and you can't.

Edit: And I just realized, if you have tirtouga in your hand, it's completely useless, lol. The only way I can see the fossil cards being played is that you need to run 4 Tirtouga/Archen in your deck.

^Well at least it makes all of the questions about when a fossil is a pokemon and when it is a trainer disappear.

Does anybody know if Rare Candy (complete with the new ruling) works if Archepos is in play?

Freakmasta said:
There's a mistranslation for the card. The card states it has to be the BOTTOM 7 cards and if you find the corresponding basic, then place it on the bench. The remaining cards get shuffled back into the deck. I guess since it's a fossil card, you have to dig for it.
Thank you, you're right, corrected! Do you know Japanese?

Guess this means Bulbanews stole our translations again. Though the way their story is structured exactly like ours was a giveaway already.

That is probably the greatest mechanic for fossil cards ever XD

Looking for fossils at the bottom by "digging". Awesome.

ShadowDark said:
I am loving the new fossil mechanic to balance out the fossils. The only real way to put a pokemon on top of your deck is good rod or research record. I do wish Carracosta would be a bit more playable with the fossil rule. 140 HP and weakness to grass is pretty good and he COULD be charged faster if you can get a Feraligatr out, but I love his ability especially with Victory Star Victini.

Victini's ability only works when it's part of your attack not your opponents, so it has no synergy with Carracosta, but good idea anyway.

To get out Archeops fast you need:

4 Research Record
4 Archen
4 Dome Fossil (I think)
And Probably 4 Communication
oh and 1 or 2 Archeops :p
Twins helps too as it will be a while before you can get it set up.

Also, Carracosta with Crush Hammer, Lost Remover and junk Arm?

Plus, I was wondering what the ruling is on Tirtouga or Archen with PETM. It would hardly ever come to that because you want them in your deck but if the situation ever called for it would you be able to fish them from the deck?

@chefz Oh i misread Victini thanks, my bad. Also its Plume Fossil for Archen lol.

I suppose Alph Lithograph and Rotom could solve the problem if its prized, just research record it to the bottom. It just takes alot of cards to ensure a revived pokemon on the bottom.

I love the look of Archeops and Tirtouga. They'll be great.
By the way, for Cofafrigus' attack (the recently released one), are counters moved to the opponent's active Pokemon, or to Cofafrigus?

Does anybody know if Rare Candy (complete with the new ruling) works if Archepos is in play?
This will have been the third time I answered this. The answer is no, since it evolves from your hand, which Archeops blocks.

Okay, I am a bit relieved now that Archeops isn't as game-shattering as was previously thought. I was under the impression that the Fossils would act somewhat like Basics (because no stage 1 has 130 without some sort of drawback in the previous stage), and lo and behold we've found it.

tl;dr version:
GHJamesGH said:
Totally legit card that will take a tier 1 spot while not ruining the format.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Also, <3 Carracosta

fossils are now impossible to play since it forces you to run 4 of the fossil plus 4 of the 'basic' form. Archeops sure has a good ability but seriously by the time he comes out the game will be already decided. Just a bad mechanic overall, I'd rather take the risk of running the fossil as a pokemon.

Also:
DNA said:
This will have been the third time I answered this. The answer is no, since it evolves from your hand, which Archeops blocks.

compendium said:
Q. Does Rare Candy override evolution-preventing effects such as Fossil Aerodactyl's "Prehistoric Power"?
A. Yes, you can use Rare Candy when Aerodactyl's Prehistoric Power is in play. (Sep 18, 2003 PUI Rules Team; Jul 22, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

I would think the rulings would stay the same it is the same name afterall

Metalizard said:
What? They ruined fossil pokémon! The old mechanic was much better...

I agree. I don't like digging :(

chefz11 said:
ShadowDark said:
I am loving the new fossil mechanic to balance out the fossils. The only real way to put a pokemon on top of your deck is good rod or research record. I do wish Carracosta would be a bit more playable with the fossil rule. 140 HP and weakness to grass is pretty good and he COULD be charged faster if you can get a Feraligatr out, but I love his ability especially with Victory Star Victini.

Victini's ability only works when it's part of your attack not your opponents, so it has no synergy with Carracosta, but good idea anyway.

To get out Archeops fast you need:

4 Research Record
4 Archen
4 Dome Fossil (I think)
And Probably 4 Communication
oh and 1 or 2 Archeops :p
Twins helps too as it will be a while before you can get it set up.

Also, Carracosta with Crush Hammer, Lost Remover and junk Arm?

Plus, I was wondering what the ruling is on Tirtouga or Archen with PETM. It would hardly ever come to that because you want them in your deck but if the situation ever called for it would you be able to fish them from the deck?

That is a lot needed to just get out a main attacker. I don't see how it'll be Tier 1. High Tier 2, but not Tier 1.

And this is why we don't answer questions based on cards only in Japanese. By the way, the wording on Aerodactyl and Archeops is different - Aerodactyl says no evolution cards can be played; Archeops says neither player can evolve a Pokemon by playing one from the hand.

There is a difference there that can permit Rare Candy to bypass Aerodactyl and not Archeops. I don't want to spoil the fun for you, so I'll let you figure it out.

DNA said:
And this is why we don't answer questions based on cards only in Japanese. By the way, the wording on Aerodactyl and Archeops is different - Aerodactyl says no evolution cards can be played; Archeops says neither player can evolve a Pokemon by playing one from the hand.

There is a difference there that can permit Rare Candy to bypass Aerodactyl and not Archeops. I don't want to spoil the fun for you, so I'll let you figure it out.

yet look at the power name it reads the exact same you don't need to read japanese to tell they are the same.

http://images.buyitsellit.com/1699537.jpg

The only thing commong with the Power/Ability is that they're both called げんしのちから/Ancient Power. The body text, the meat of the whole thing, is what is totally different. Archeops' is painfully adamant as to the fact that no players can evolve Pokemon from their hand. Guess what other card is just as adamant about evolving via the cards in your hand? Rare Candy. As of both the HS reprint, and the BW errata.

このポケモンがいるかぎり、お互いのプレイヤーは、手札からポケモンを出して、進化させられない
While this Pokemon is in play, no player can play a Pokemon from their hand to evolve his or her Pokemon.

=/=

プテラが場にいる限り、全てのポケモンは進化することができない。(すでに進化しているポケモンに影響はない)。「ねむり・マヒ・こんらん」状態の時、この力は消える。
No more Evolution cards can be played. This power stops working if Aerodactyl is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

Yet if you look at the wording over the past 10 years it has all been changed. Since aerodactyl has the same power the rulings will be put together regardless either it will stay the same or have to change the ruling on it.

Looks like any sort of fossil deck will have to run a full count of research record and/or pokedex. With that I think it MAY be possible to play it, but not likely or consistent in any sort. Oh well, P!P will probably come out with other pokemon to make it easier to pull them out, such as Bronzong TM for legends.

Does this mean you can't use the fossil cards as basic Pokemon anymore then evolve on next turn? If this is true then it will not be easy to evolve Pokemon like you could with Mysterious Fossil etc.:)

ndrewzorz said:
Looks like any sort of fossil deck will have to run a full count of research record and/or pokedex. With that I think it MAY be possible to play it, but not likely or consistent in any sort. Oh well, P!P will probably come out with other pokemon to make it easier to pull them out, such as Bronzong TM for legends.

I don't think it will work that well when there's alot of cards in the HGSS-On Metagame that require you to shuffle your deck so that defeats the purpose of using Research Records in a Fossil deck. Cards like PONT, Judge, among others make it more random and luck based to hit a Revived Pokemon from the use of a Fossil Trainer - Item.

I think the more interesting question is how these new Fossil Pokemon mechanics apply to Unlimited even though hardly anyone plays it for obvious reasons. With past Fossil Pokemon they have no Basic forms since the Trainer itself counted as a Basic to evolve into it's Evolved form, thus it really comes down to when you play Old Fossil Pokemon you play by the old rules but with the New Fossil Pokemon you play by the new rules.

card slinger in unlimited it'd be the same. its not a ruling as much as a new way to play the fossil pokemon.

Back