(1) BW6 'Freeze Bolt' and 'Cold Flare' Booster Packs Revealed! [4/17]

Good stuff. I kind of expect us to get the Dragon sets first but I wouldn't be surprised if they were skipped for these.

Normally this is how it goes:

A Japanese October release becomes International February release
A Japanese December release becomes International May release
A Japanese March release becomes International August release
A Japanese July release becomes International November release

So to conclude the story, we aren't skipping any sets. We are still getting the Dragon sets after Dark Explorers in August, and we are still getting the cold flare whatever sets in November.

The only exception to this rule is if Japan releases 3 sets per year as opposed to 4. So how did the international TCG deal with it?

Examples of times when Japan didn't release a set are:

December 2009, where the international release would have been HS unleashed. HS unleashed contained part of Heartgold Soulsilver collection as well as part of Reviving legends, but Reviving legends was thought to be associated with the Undaunted expansion.

October 2010, Japan didn't release anything at this time, so the international release was a filler release known as Call of Legends.

March 2011, Japan didn't release anything at this time, but the international release was Black and White Emerging Powers, which wasn't associated with Red Collection, it was more like the rest of Black and White collection as well as some battle strength decks.

When I say October release, I use that with an error of one month, so an October release means September or November as well, and it doesn't overlap any of my other listed months, as the Japanese Psycho Drive/Hail Blizzard was released in September, so it is counted as the third, or October release of that year.

^ No, next set, Virizion and Cobalion is my bet.
The pack srt is nice, confirms 100% that Black and White Kyurem will make their TCG debut.

I know this is a likely as any Pokemon but I hope we finally get more starter Pokemon(*cough*Charizard*cough*)

I was expecting BW6 to have Keldeo on it's pack artwork though.

Yeah :p The pack art is great >_< But I want to see some EX's from the set ;) And new abilities! Hopefully some old pokemon coming back *hint Kingdra *hint*

who knows, maybe they will print something that might help stage 2's one day! Dreams are free

Kingdra_fan said:
Yeah :p The pack art is great >_< But I want to see some EX's from the set ;) And new abilities! Hopefully some old pokemon coming back *hint Kingdra *hint*

who knows, maybe they will print something that might help stage 2's one day! Dreams are free
Yeah, maybe something like:

Black Kyurem:
Ability: Black 2
As long as this pokemon is in play, all of your stage 2 pokemons attacks do +30 damage.

White Kyurem:
Ability: White 2
As long as this pokemon is in play, all of your stage 2 pokemons HP increases by +30.

I wish :p

This format is just too dominated by basics, and now with Rare Candy nurfed it becomes much harder to set up evolved forms, then any Stage 2s that they do give us cant do enough damage to defeat EXs. But maybe that will change, maybe we can get some Stage 1s or Stage 2s with great Abilities and attacks.
So maybe something like:

Charizard HP 150
Ability: EX Fuel
Each of this pokemons attacks do +20 for each EX your opponet has in play.

{R} Blaze 40
This attacks damage isnt effected by weakness, resistance, abilities or any other effects on the defending pokemon.
{R} {R} {R} Flamethrower 80

Anyway, the artwork was much better than I was expecting. Great job pokemon.

Kyurem's just throwing power to destroy the world on the ground. :p

The pack art looks nice, but I'd like to see some action instead of what I just wrote up there^! Eh, what're ya gonna do about it. :l
What I did notice though- Anyone see that "cave" that they're in? That doesn't look like the cave shown in the B2 W2 trailers. (Yes, I know it's being illuminated, but the caves that they were in had black rocks, not sand color ones.) Any thought? Hm? :l

Mudkip4321 said:
Kyurem's just throwing power to destroy the world on the ground. :p

Sure power like this:
!ATTACK SPECULATION WARNING!
{W}{L}{C}{C} Freeze Bolt 180
(Black) Kyurem cannot attack next turn

{W}{R}{C}{C} Cold Flare 180
(White) Kyurem cannot attck next turn

Yes, copies the game (a bit) also picture them as EXs

Blui129 said:
Sure power like this:
!ATTACK SPECULATION WARNING!
{W}{L}{C}{C} Freeze Bolt 180
(Black) Kyurem cannot attack next turn

{W}{R}{C}{C} Cold Flare 180
(White) Kyurem cannot attck next turn

Yes, copies the game (a bit) also picture them as EXs

But dont forget, they arent fire/ice and elec./ice type. They are still ice/dragon, and by the time we get these cards we may also have dragon type cards so they could use {DRG} energy. I hope that when they make these pokemon they bring back Dual-Type pokemon. But not anything stupid like Delta-Species so that maybe they could be {DRG} / {W} type cards.

olimar1023 said:
But don't forget, they arent fire/ice and elec./ice type. They are still ice/dragon, and by the time we get these cards we may also have dragon type cards so they could use {DRG} energy. I hope that when they make these pokemon they bring back Dual-Type pokemon. But not anything stupid like Delta-Species so that maybe they could be {DRG} / {W} type cards.

No, they will be {DRG} type, but will use {W}{L} for black kyurem, and {W}{R} white kyurem. You know that the Dragon type isn't really designed as a brand new "type", with its own energies and such.

A {G} pokemon with only {C} attacks isn't a colorless pokemon. As such, the Dragon type is only there so those pokemon are referred to as dragons, such as when another card targets dragons, or with weaknesses and resistances.

The type of pokemon is referenced in the upper right corner of the card, not what energy symbols are used as attack costs. Also Dragon isn't really an "element", just like Bug, Ghost, etc. Which is why they don't have their own energy cards. If anything, Ground energy should come first. Fighting energy isn't really "Earth", more like "body", while psychic is "mind".

If anything, they should have designed it so that there are only 7 types of energy, Flying, Ground, Water, Ice, Fire, Lightning, Steel (industrialization), and Grass (Nature), used for attacks, but have 17 types of pokemon, that is 17 different card frames colors. The energies used will be based off the flavor of the attack. Something that is fiery uses fire energy. Something that is Air like, uses Flying energy.

^ I forgot, they havent made a {DRG} energy yet. Too bad, its kind dumb that great pokemon like Hydriegon have to use {P} {G} and {M} energy.
I agree, but most flying types are part normal type anyway. And I really think that they should fix the water/ice mix, ground/fighting mix, and the psychic/poison mix.

Also I want black and white kyurem to be (and this is obvious) to be... EX! I also want some cool features to it (*cough* dragon type*cough*).

olimar1023 said:
^ I forgot, they havent made a {DRG} energy yet. Too bad, its kind dumb that great pokemon like Hydriegon have to use {P} {G} and {M} energy.
I agree, but most flying types are part normal type anyway. And I really think that they should fix the water/ice mix, ground/fighting mix, and the psychic/poison mix.

Even in the games, I'd rather have it so that the offensive elemental set is different from the defensive ones.

You know that the element of air is represented by flying moves right? So they should have called the attack names "air" or "wind" attacks, but the pokemon themselves are "flying" pokemon.

To make it so that there aren't way too many energy cards saturated in the game, I think there should really only be 6 to 8 elements.

Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Body, Mind, Nature?, Urbanization?, Light(-ning)?, Dark (absence of light)? The ones with question marks are to have only 2 (Nature and Urbanization) or (Light and Dark).

Then the pokemon type are different. Grass, Fire, Bug, Water, Steel, Rock, Ground, Ice, dragon, alien, machine, virus, Television, anything.

Even in the games, I don't understand why there is such thing as a Dragon attack. I understand dragon types, because they are dragons, but Dragons should never have their own attack, and what they have should really be attacks of actual real elements. Same with bug. Something like pin missile is a bug attack, despite it not sounding bugish to me.

It's sort of like Magic and Yugioh. Magic has 5 mana, and yugioh has 6 attributes. But magic and yugioh has tons of creature types, or monster types, such as human, elf, zombie, machine, spellcaster, warrior, etc.

So I think what is the dragon type cards should only there to identify the pokemon type, and not really be used as attack energy. Real dragons normally use other elements to attack, or a combination of elements. Only pokemon dragons use dragon attacks. A dragon scratching someone is a dragon attack, but when a non-dragon does it, it is a normal attack, so what they did there is actually not a good thing, although, I'd rather have them use the combination of elements that make sense though. A dragon breathing plasma energy is better as a {R}{L} attack than a {DRG} attack.

What I'm getting at is that the energy cards should be based off forces of nature, not a creature type. Dragon isn't a force of nature. It is a mythical creature, ergo, it should never have its own energy cards. I'm also dumbfounded as to why we don't have ground and flying (air) energy, but we get dark(evil) and steel energy. If anything, darkness should represent absense of light rather than evil. I guess steel energy could represent urbanization, and should be combined with lightning, since steel and lightning is technology. Rock and ground would belong with the ground type.

So the 8 energy types are Ground, Fire, Air, Water, Psychic, Fightning, Lightning/Steel, Grass

So here is how it goes

Ground and rock; Cold, Dry
Fire; Hot, Dry
Flying; Hot, Wet
Water and Ice; Cold, Wet
Psychic and Ghost; Mind
Fighting; Body
Electric and Steel; Urbanization
Grass and Bug, (and poison?); Nature

Normal is colorless, and is made so that any energy cards can be used for it
Dragon is multicolor, and is made so that specific combinations of energy cards must be used for it.
Dark, meaning evil, is represented by a secondary type, sort of how Team Rocket pokemon were in the TCG, rather than being its own type, because evil isn't an element.
I don't know where to categorize poison.

It is too late now anyway, but the reason why they changed poison from a flavorful making sense grass type, to a doesn't make sense psychic type is that the TCG is bombarded with green framed cards. There are just way too many of them, and making poison types part of the Psychic family, which there are less of, balances things out, or at least that is what I thought.

Back