(1) A New Forme of Mewtwo Revealed for the 16th Movie? [4/3]

Has anyone thought of the possibility of Mewtwo evolving? Now before you go thinking that this is not possible because legendaries do no evolve, we have to remember that GameFreak is allowed to change whatever "rule" they please.

Let's take these examples: legendaries cannot breed (wrong - Manaphy in the games and Lugia in the anime); legendaries are genderless (wrong - Heatran); there are only one of each (wrong - the anime has shown more than one of a particular legendary existing). There is no concrete rule about anything in the Pokemon franchise that GameFreak can't change whenever they'd like. Perhaps the double helix in the Pokemon X/Y Japanese logo is hinting at genetics being a theme and a new forme of Mewtwo or even an evolution of Mewtwo is possible. If the latter is true, then perhaps this is the big reveal that is going to happen this coming weekend...this would also give credit to what people have been speculating about this new "Mewtwo" Pokemon being a gen 6 Pokemon as well.

P.S. Before anyone starts blasting me about how my thought is absolutely wrong, let's not forget how many unpredictable things TPC, TPCi, and GameFreak have been doing the past couple of years...

Tails said:
Eh, it looks really weird, so I'm saying it's fake until told otherwise.

Mewtwo doesn't need a new form, especially when he went 10 or so years being the most powerful Pokemon in terms of game stats, and he's been the same for about 15 years.

Except the fact that he got his signature move 4 generations later...

I don't like it.

But besides that, I can't imagine the just revealed 'Pokemon of the hour' would be at the back of the new poster, surely it'd be the main image on said poster?

Seems a bit dodgy to me.

I like it. At first I was like "WTF is this?" but then after I saw a full-body sketch that someone drew of it, I thought it looked really nice. I personally don't like the idea of a new form, but I think if it was "Mewthree" or something along those lines, I would be a big fan of it.

About its legitimacy, I am skeptical. It looks very odd, but the Japanese is spot on and the background itself is new and very well done. I'd say its legitimacy is about 50/50.

omahanime said:
What I find bothersome is how much of art is re-used.

The only problem with that is it's exactly what they did for Keldeo:

rh3jbt.png

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs[/video]

-nobody

This is most likely fake, as things of this nature tend to be, but it's worrying that this monstrosity could be real. If there's one thing Gamefreak should leave alone, it's Mewtwo. DON'T TOUCH HIM GODDAMMIT.

I'm not sure if this particular image is real but considering the theme of X & Y's logo, as well as Genesect's story - it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd like to imagine Mewtwo having been cloned from Mew but being able to unexpectedly evolve. He has Pokemon D.N.A. after all, so why not? It could employ the law of surroundings and need to evolve to be able to achieve new things in reality. Mewtwo comes to protect Ash in the movie and as far as we know, it's the very same Mewtwo that Ash met before.

Mewtwo may somehow learn of a creature a bit like him and try to help it understand, like he came to do at the end of the first movie. Though, he may need to evolve in order to tackle the threat Genesect poses. It would be just like getting a new evolution but I feel it would be more special that it's a legendary, especially given Mewtwo's unique birth and story.

If so, it also lends to a theory that part of X & Y's story will finally reveal what causes evolution in Pokemon. We've seen characters research it but never actually see any results from it in the games or anime. Just a theory...

EDIT: I also though I'd note that going through what I call the behind-the-scenes business on the Japanese movie site, shows something interesting.

Someone pointed out the hexagons below Mewtwo and I did a little snooping. The images of Genesect and Mewtwo are part of the same image, while Genesects forms are part of a separate image, attached underneath the former. This is the interesting part... Those two hexagons under Mewtwo are also attached to the Genesect forms image - which appears to be an image bar of forms.

I'm not entirely sure how to post images but this is the bottom part of the image (I'll try my best):

genoBG02.jpg

Xous said:
omahanime said:
What I find bothersome is how much of art is re-used.

rh3jbt.png

So they have done something similar, but the Keldeo art looks like a redraw because so many of the characters are in different places. Unless they are all drawn individually and then layered.

omahanime said:
Xous said:

rh3jbt.png

So they have done something similar, but the Keldeo art looks like a redraw because so many of the characters are in different places. Unless they are all drawn individually and then layered.

Yes, I think the way they do those posters is exactly like what you said at the end. They have each character drawn in full on a separate layer, and then they arrange them into the composition.

Bolt the Cat said:
By that logic, new evolutions are lazy too, because they're reusing old Pokemon for that, too.

Nope. That's different. New evos are usually done for weaker fully evolved pokémon (like Gligar, Sneasel, etc.) or simply to buff up some pokémon whose stats aren't so great anymore or never were that great in the first place (Magmar, Electabuzz). The only new evolution that can really be considered unnecessary is probably Porygon-Z...

Mewtwo is a 680 BST Uber Legendary known as one of the strongest pokémon ever (only surpassed by Arceus)... I don't see how a new forme improves it...

Remove everything from this 'new forme' from the neck down.
It is now a giant flying snake.

AlanaSaysHey said:
Yes, I think the way they do those posters is exactly like what you said at the end. They have each character drawn in full on a separate layer, and then they arrange them into the composition.

That would explain the Mewtwo art similarities.

don()shinobi said:
Remove everything from this 'new forme' from the neck down.
It is now a giant flying snake.

At first that's what I thought it was. Didn't see the body...

B-Banette...? Is that you.....?

Meh. I think it does look kind of bad and I won't be disappointed if it is fake, but I won't at all be mad if it is real.

Metalizard said:
Mewtwo is a 680 BST Uber Legendary known as one of the strongest pokémon ever (only surpassed by Arceus)... I don't see how a new forme improves it...

Kyurem had 660 BST and he got new forms in BW2. They could do the same thing with Mewtwo, rearrange his stats and buff him up slightly (to 700), and then it'd be worthwhile.

Mewtwo's new forme looks too much like SSJ3 from DBZ, perhaps maybe Game Freak is trying to do an anniversary tribute to Dragonball by putting "Mewthree" in Pokemon Z? Get it? X & Y plus a third game of the Gen VI series being Z...

I don't really like the idea of Mewtwo having a new forme. But I think I need to see a clear picture of it and the rationale behind its new forme, before making any decision. Right now, I don't understand the purpose so its easy to not like it.

I have a question, though. Is it normal for something like this to go unconfirmed for this long?

i love mewtwo just as much as anyone. it is definitely my favorite pokemon. but i hate how people get so upset because mewtwo might be getting a new form. i believe it is a new form. in the movie it does say mewtwos awakening, and you dont know the real mewtwo, so it wouldnt make any sense to say that just to bring in a different pokemon.

it does look like super buu from dragonball z a bit, with the tail coming out of his head.

but these people who say they will walk over to game freak and hti them if theis is real need to get over themselves. you cant define what makes a pokemon a pokemon. you didntcreate the concept, and you dont design them.

maybe the new mewtwo is a mutation. X and Y are dealing with genes. and mewtwo is the genetic pokemon. maybe he had a genetic mutaion, and changed in that way instead of a new form, which would be close to an evolution.

PokeDan23 said:
Has anyone thought of the possibility of Mewtwo evolving? Now before you go thinking that this is not possible because legendaries do no evolve, we have to remember that GameFreak is allowed to change whatever "rule" they please.

Let's take these examples: legendaries cannot breed (wrong - Manaphy in the games and Lugia in the anime); legendaries are genderless (wrong - Heatran); there are only one of each (wrong - the anime has shown more than one of a particular legendary existing). There is no concrete rule about anything in the Pokemon franchise that GameFreak can't change whenever they'd like. Perhaps the double helix in the Pokemon X/Y Japanese logo is hinting at genetics being a theme and a new forme of Mewtwo or even an evolution of Mewtwo is possible. If the latter is true, then perhaps this is the big reveal that is going to happen this coming weekend...this would also give credit to what people have been speculating about this new "Mewtwo" Pokemon being a gen 6 Pokemon as well.

P.S. Before anyone starts blasting me about how my thought is absolutely wrong, let's not forget how many unpredictable things TPC, TPCi, and GameFreak have been doing the past couple of years...

Tails said:
Eh, it looks really weird, so I'm saying it's fake until told otherwise.

Mewtwo doesn't need a new form, especially when he went 10 or so years being the most powerful Pokemon in terms of game stats, and he's been the same for about 15 years.

Except the fact that he got his signature move 4 generations later...

I totally agree.

Nobody suspected that GameFreak would create a Pokemon, let alone two Pokemon, that requires you to have two different monsters in your party and splice them together to make a monster with mixed features of both Pokemon. But look what they did with Kyurem absorbing Zekrom and Reshiram in Black 2 and White 2.

I hope it's real. Wouldn't mind Mewtwo getting a new forme; just would like to see it clearer.

And if it's real, I hope any new Pokemon for X&Y revealed isn't brand new - like, it has a connection to an older generation.

Plus, the massive amount of butthurt I've been reading is ridiculous. It's a new forme; existing Pokemon, especially Gen I Pokemon don't have some holy ring around it. For the time being, I'll just enjoy it until there's a confirmation. Anyways, it'll be the same cycle - butthurt, applying the cream, then getting over it, using it/boxing it.

That's all.

But hey, if it turns out to be fake, who ever made it did a damn good job at fooling Serebii, /vp/, and whatever other Pokemon communities out there that religiously fight one another.

Back