(1) 6th Generation Coming Soon? [11/26]

The Pikachu Mafia said:
I find any claim that says pokemon will go completely out of it's pattern and do something it's never done before hard to believe without a TON of evidence.

Black 2 and White 2 pretty much nullify that whole argument.

dmaster out.

The Pikachu Mafia said:
I mean I suppose I could see RSE coming out in the 6th gen, but then when will we get a remake of DP? 7th gen?

And exactly that makes me go WTF.

I mean honestly, the "remake" thing has to stop at one point.
Suppose they do remake RSE. It would then mean that the remakes of the oldest games are the oldest games again, making the whole thing absurd if continued.

Either they throw the "remake" concept out the window completely and simply figure out a way to port the originals from now on via e-shops or whatever,
or they replace "remakes" with something CREATIVE, like "sequels", be it a continuation of the story ala BW2 just delayed for decades instead of years, or "co-generations" ala what GS did by adding a second region next to the first and have the first in the post-game.
Or heck, they could simply do both, whichever is more fitting to what gen nostalgia they are trying to milk at a given time.

All of these options make more sense, would sell more, and are less lazy, than slightly polished up copy&paste remakes continuing on some outdated tradition with a 2 gen delay simply because. lol.

I think there will be a 6th gen. I hope the don't phase out the regular DS's for the new games to only be playable on the 3DS. They should make it playable on all DS's like they did for 5th gen. I find it weird that they are not showing the spoilers for the new movie. There must be something BIG and I mean BIG XD.:)

Water Pokémon Master said:
Nintendo 3DS - February 2011
6th gen games - Probably Fall 2013 (let''s say September)
= 31 months
Tobi_Akatsuki said:
The 5th gens still has another year or 2 in its life time, we won't see gen 6 until late 2013 at the earliest...

Teal said:
WPM, exactly my thoughts. Anyone who thinks that:
- next games don't come out late 2013 (possibly early 2014, would be really unusual though) [Japan]
is being really ridiculous.

(Not replying to any one of you specifically, just showing a few examples)

Okay, I see a lot of people theorizing the Gen VI game might come out in Fall 2013. Main series games tend to come out in the Fall-season in Japan. But I'm not really 100% convinced we'll be seeing Gen IV coming out as early as 10 months from now. Usually, we see hints a bit earlier.

Just because the July 2013 movie (Genesect Movie) will very likely feature a Gen VI Pokémon, doesn't mean the game will come out right away. Going back a couple gens, the first movie to feature a Gen IV Pokémon in a major role (in other words, discounting the comic-relief Muchlax in Destiny Deoxys) was the July 2005 movie (Lucario & The Mystery of Mew), yet Diamond and Pearl didn't come out in September 2005. Next came the July 2006 Movie (Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea), which featured yet ANOTHER new Pokémon, and THEN came Diamond and Pearl in September 2006. Just because they already showed Genesect doesn't mean they are out of movies. Despite being a 4th Gen Movie, the main stars of Zoroark: Master of Illusions were a group of Gen II Pokémon and a Gen IV Pokémon. Not even anything from the 4th gen! (To be fair, this was mostly to advertise HgSs, but still.) So they could stretch it until Fall 2014 with another "filler" movie if they needed to. I will concede the fact, however, that if they really wanted to do this, they would have probably made a separate Meloetta movie, and then the Genesect movie...

I will end this mini-rant by contradicting myself, and saying that it is actually possible it'll come out in Fall 2013, and in-fact, does even have precedents! The first Gen V reveal (Zoroark) was February 2010, and B&W released in September 2010, just 7 months later. So, it could go either way.

Heck, I'm still a bit surprised though that BW2 came out in June 2012 in Japan, and then to the west just 4 months later. The fact that those came out quicker than usual could very well also be a sign that they wanted to get the games out of the way, so they could have a Fall 2013 Gen VI release, fans being anxious for more games. On the other hand, it's quite possible those were pushed so that the games were out before the Kyurem/Keldeo Movie, as to let people play with the new forms right away. Though AGAIN on the other hand, the previous time they presented new forms, in July 2008 with Giratina and the Sky Warrior, the game containing them, Platinum, still didn't debut until two months later, September 2008. But perhaps the push was just their way of fixing their "mistake" from Platinum?

Whelp, not sure what real point I just made, seeing as I pushed both arguments, and contradicted both of them, but yeah.
So, for Gen VI: Fall 2013, or Fall 2014, that is the real question. It's almost certainly one of the two.
Anything later would be quite odd indeed...

...I think I went a bit too long again...

Dragon Master Ryuuji said:
A Ruby/sapphire remake will likely come first. Either that Gen 6 then a remake. Personally I can see the remake coming first though as sort of a 3DS test.

It'd be kinda like HG/SS
Remake first, then a bit into it, Genesect movie reveals a Gen 6 Pokemon.

well, one thing they could do is Pull a Street fighter 2 and port Virtual Console Versions of FR/LG and R/S/E onto the 3DS and give them WiFi features and the ability to transfer to Gen 5. (this would explain why all the R/S/E Key items are on BW 2. Either that or they are planned for a remake or a direct port with compatibility with Gen 5. ) Those items are a good way of saying they ARE doing something with RSE and either Gen 5 or a Gen 6. It really can't be denied. Something with them is going to happen at least.

m190049 said:
But I'm not really 100% convinced we'll be seeing Gen IV coming out as early as 10 months from now. Usually, we see hints a bit earlier.
The first hints of Gen V were with Zoroark in December 2009, then the games came out in September 2010. It could be the exact same situation here.

Just because the July 2013 movie (Genesect Movie) will very likely feature a Gen VI Pokémon, doesn't mean the game will come out right away. Going back a couple gens, the first movie to feature a Gen IV Pokémon in a major role (in other words, discounting the comic-relief Muchlax in Destiny Deoxys) was the July 2005 movie (Lucario & The Mystery of Mew), yet Diamond and Pearl didn't come out in September 2005. Next came the July 2006 Movie (Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea), which featured yet ANOTHER new Pokémon, and THEN came Diamond and Pearl in September 2006. Just because they already showed Genesect doesn't mean they are out of movies.
These Gen III examples do not match up to the current situation. For the Deoxys movie, they were revealing Deoxys and Rayquaza. For the Lucario movie, they were revealing the Regis. For the Manaphy movie (the last R/S movie), they were revealing Kyogre (and then transitioning into D/P's Legendary Pokemon with Manaphy). All of Gen V's Pokemon have now been revealed. Since Genesect has been revealed super early, there's nothing else that exists now that they can advertise with it. There has to be a new Pokemon or forme, so as I explained in my post, it's probably Gen VI time.

Mitja said:
The Pikachu Mafia said:
I mean I suppose I could see RSE coming out in the 6th gen, but then when will we get a remake of DP? 7th gen?

We're saying that now because we're a specific audience. A lot of the online fanbase are in their late teens and up; they lived through Gen II, or at least appreciated it enough to hail it as the golden years. While Gen I was brought back out of necessity, Gen II was remade largely because the vocal part of the fanbase willed it. These people who loved Gen II also loved Gen III, but don't will for it to be remade; this is because they've already lived through remakes. HGSS probably had it's people who said it wasn't needed, but they were in the same situation; their Gen I had already been remade, and they didn't feel they needed Gen II remade.

Now that the younger people who had Gen III as their first gen are becoming more active online, you're hearing a pining for remakes, albeit not much because the Gen II crowd still frequents online communities. Just wait; after a while, the process will repeat: Those who had Gen IV as their first will go online, begin saying it's been ten years since DP, and will start dreaming up remakes. Game Freak has really put themselves in a corner by introducing remakes in the first place (and now sequels), but luckily, any kind of activity from the fans, be it constantly asking for remakes or not, is good activity.

Unless the point of the remakes was to bring those incompatible games into compatibility. You can move your Pokemon from R/S to BW2. You can't do that for R/B/Y and G/S/C, which have now been remade so that you can.

I'm hoping for gen 6, and I think it would be cool for them to do RBG Remakes, as well as come out with RBG retro style for the DS/3DS.

About WPM's post: My thoughts exactly! Ever since they revealed Genesect, made it available for download and showed it would star in the next movie, all those ideias came to my mind. It makes perfect sense.

People that still hope for R/S remakes before gen 6 are silly and all that talk is starting to get annoying. Why the hell do I need a R/S remake for? I have my Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, hoenn starters and in-game team from my Emerald game all in my White game. Okay, let's say someone didn't have any gen III game and only started playing in Gen IV. The Regis are in Platinum (well, through an event but that's already 2 ways to get those, either through a gen 3 game or through the Regigigas event), and all the other Hoenn legendaries plus the starters are in HGSS (except event Pokémon of course, but those don't count). But wait, we're in gen V now, BW2 exist and guess what? The Lati@s and the Regis are in BW2. And Japan has distributed the Hoenn starters with their DW ability, 2 Rayquaza (1 shiny), the final evolutions of the Hoenn starters plus Kyogre and Groudon around the same time of that promotion, and another Kyogre and Groudon (these last two are the ones celebrating the RS anniversary) through events. Sure, that's Japan and we're in the west, but considering that most people have at least a Gen IV game (mainly HG or SS) and with some trades (even GTS trades), you can easily get all exclusive (by exclusive I mean the starters and the legendaries or course) gen 3 pokémon in a Gen V game. There's no point in making a RS remake before Gen 6 (and maybe not even after). period.

Also, I'm much more interested in what gen 6 will have, so I actually hope they come up with something fast. I'm dying to know what path they will choose for gen 6. Will it be a sequel of Gen 5 (as gen 2 was to gen 1)? [BW2 kinda messed this theory but I'm talking about like a region next to Unova with new evolutions for gen 5 pokémon and all that (like I said, just like Johto did to Kanto)]. Will it have new pokémon but also evos/preevos of previous pokémon from any past gen and not just gen 5? Will it add something to the Tao Dragons legend (as in, a trio master - a.k.a the-original-dragon-as-a-separate-new-pokémon-that-I'm-always-hoping-for)?
Come gen 6, come...

Mitja said:
The Pikachu Mafia said:

Suppose they do remake RSE. It would then mean that the remakes of the oldest games are the oldest games again, making the whole thing absurd if continued.

Either they throw the "remake" concept out the window completely and simply figure out a way to port the originals from now on via e-shops or whatever,
or they replace "remakes" with something CREATIVE, like "sequels", be it a continuation of the story ala BW2 just delayed for decades instead of years, or "co-generations" ala what GS did by adding a second region next to the first and have the first in the post-game.
Or heck, they could simply do both, whichever is more fitting to what gen nostalgia they are trying to milk at a given time.

All of these options make more sense, would sell more, and are less lazy, than slightly polished up copy&paste remakes continuing on some outdated tradition with a 2 gen delay simply because. lol.

Honestly I think they will stop doing remakes of one kind or another when they stop making pokemon games all together. Even if it wasn't really a sequel we already have Emerald, so why make a sequel to a 10 y.o game that most of the newer pokemon players never even heard about when you can just reintroduce the game which is more appealing to the people who've never played it before? (I mean honestly, how many newer pokemon players would buy a gameboy game and a ds/gameboy just to understand said sequel?)

not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely. You can go ahead and call me Fi now, I'll even give you random percentages and talk like a robot if you want :p

So that people know who the Hoenn Gym Leaders and Wallace are? ;p Remember, the PWT includes them. I'm sure the people that are like that are all "who the hell's Norman?" They also got new sprites in the PWT, rather than just having their RSE ones modified/remade. (As opposed to the DPP/HGSS ones.) And really, you could say the same of HeartGold and SoulSilver. I don't get why people see Ruby/Sapphire as less notable than Gold/Silver. They're more notable.

xxashxx said:
I think there will be a 6th gen. I hope the don't phase out the regular DS's for the new games to only be playable on the 3DS. They should make it playable on all DS's like they did for 5th gen.

The 3DS is not a special DS...

nintendo really shot themselves in the foot when naming this (and then went on to name the new console WiiU making it sound like a special Wii too...)

The smarter approach on Nintendo's part would've been to make the 3DS compatible with the Wii U but instead they decided to make the game controller (game tablet basically) for the console to act as a seperate handheld from Wii U console games meaning that you can play Wii U titles like Bayonetta or Batman: Arkham Aslyum on the Wii U tablet like a handheld aside from playing it on your TV. For all we know the 3DS could've been the game controller for the Wii U but apparently the technology just wasn't there.

As for the 6th Generation of Pokemon, it would suck tremendously If it wasn't somehow backwards compatible with the 5th Generation or it's predecessors for that matter. There was a technological gap between the 2nd Generation of Pokemon and the 3rd meaning that you couldn't send Pokemon from Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, or Silver straight to Ruby or Sapphire which they made up for with LeafGreen and FireRed on the Gameboy Advance and soon the regular Nintendo DS and it's incarnations up to the 3DS.

If Nintendo and Game Freak are deciding to go with a MMO approach with the 6th Generation then it would have to be backwards compatible with the DS games somehow otherwise they're going to lose alot of money from gamers who spent time grinding their Pokemon to 100 or have alot of Legendary Pokemon that they got as Wi-Fi Events that they want to still battle with in the MMO or something. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens I suppose...

Why do you think it would not work with gen 5 games? There is no reason to think so. Personally I would love it though! I would love an honestly fresh start where I have to catch em all in one game. I mean I have 493 in Diamond and all Unovas in White. I could just trade them all to W2, but where is the fun in that? That's pretty lame, but tempting.

I can see a 6th gen but I hope they don't ruin it.
Who here thinks they should make a Light Type that would be strong against dark,ghost(maybe psychic)and weak against dark,bug and fighting?
Just a though that would open up a lot of options.

Teal said:
Why do you think it would not work with gen 5 games? There is no reason to think so. Personally I would love it though! I would love an honestly fresh start where I have to catch em all in one game. I mean I have 493 in Diamond and all Unovas in White. I could just trade them all to W2, but where is the fun in that? That's pretty lame, but tempting.

Well that's your opinion, I just don't like all the work I spent EV Training the Pokemon in my DS games go to waste and not be used ever again like what happened with many Pokemon gamers at the start of Gen III. How do you expect Nintendo to still make money off of the Pokemon games for the DS and Gameboy Advance If they stopped making the franchise backwards compatible?

Sure an MMO beats having to fill up the National Dex in every version of Pokemon but still, unless you're using PokeSav to EV Train your Pokemon for competitive battles or just doing it the old fashioned way like what I've been doing then what's the point of starting completely over? Is Nintendo and Game Freak really going to reach a point in the Pokemon franchise where they've decided to go against the handheld formula that the series has been so popular for to make the franchise more emulator friendly?

EXACTLY. PokéSav, cloning, RNG. They all ruin the game. I would love to get rid of all these. (My second reason.) That is only possible with a fresh start. Unfortunately PokéSav and cheating can most probably not be prevented anyway, but still.

I think backwards compatibility with Gen 5 would be nice, honestly I don't see why anyone would want to catch every single Pokemon again in one generation. It's better to just transfer em. Though compatibility should be obvious. If anything a 6th Gen might put a stunt in all that PokeSav stuff.

The Pikachu Mafia said:
but I think we'll get a R/S remake to drag out the generation another year (at least until the genesect movie is out) then maybe next December we'll get some news of the 6th gen (or maybe they can release them around the same time, say R/S remakes in July, then 6th gen games and mystery dungeon later in the same year...)

we're all really just guessing here, no one has any real facts to back up their statement so my guess is just as good as yours. Yes Genesect and melotta were rushed, does that mean the generation is being rushed? imho it doesn't mean anything other than another crazy day over at game freak.
THIS makes more sense. RS remakes could still be announced by next month. If not, January or February. Release by March or April in Japan, June or July in America. 6th generation games reveal next summer. Release in Japan as early as late 2013. Or early 2014.Then's there's the Unova League. It's already started in Japan. So, unless they reveal 6th generation games, new anime arc and region all by January, 6th generation games are not coming in early 2013.

Back