“Twilight Masquerade” Pokemon TCG Set Officially Revealed for May!

So...

-Grass Ogerpon is deliberately an answer to Zard, as it OHKO's it if both have their minimum energy requirements.
-Water basically gives Chien Pao a Delphox V (could be nice whenever Radiant Greninja and Manaphy rotate in like a year? Hell, could use them together back to back maybe).
-Fighting Ogerpon is anti-meta but kind of a worse Alolan Vulpix VSTAR (if Path wasn't rotating, it'd be infinitely worse).
-Fire one is... it can pick off Giratina VSTAR I guess...? It's attack cost means it's not splashable in any deck and kinda has to be used in a fire deck, and with that attack cost relying on Magma Basin + Mela to fire these off back to back and having a losing battle against stage 2 ex's and doing laughing damage to big basics isn't my idea of a good deck.
-Ogre's Mask sounds cool, and I get what it's going for (swap a grass one after acceleration to water or fighting, or even fire for the first attack which will basically never happen), but... as it stands a pure Ogerpon ex deck doesn't seem very good with all the different energy you need... I suppose you can use Luminous Energy, but then why on Arceus' green earth does the fire Ogerpon need 3 fire energy for its second attack? It's baffling.

Very disappointing. Clearly you are meant to play them together but their attacks are just bad enough to not be usable.

They might have some use apart, but together it's a bad meme at best.

and Cornerstone to wall certain decks.

Vulpix can't do it now and Ogerpon won't be able to do it later. Tina and Cinccino don't have Abilities, Lightning has Tapu Koko ex, Chien-Pao can just Cologne you, and Charizard can gust around you while you struggle to take even one kill. It's bad.

Very disappointing. Clearly you are meant to play them together but their attacks are just bad enough to not be usable.

They might have some use apart, but together it's a bad meme at best.

Vulpix can't do it now and Ogerpon won't be able to do it later. Tina and Cinccino don't have Abilities, Lightning has Tapu Koko ex, Chien-Pao can just Cologne you, and Charizard can gust around you while you struggle to take even one kill. It's bad.
Alolan vulpix came second in the championship league in Japan, noivern seems to be winning a bit lost rotation too, I think it has a shot to be competitive in some decks

Wow. Visually this set looks BORING. The SV block, from a collectors standpoint, has been so MEH! The pack arts and ETBs all look the same. I look back at XY/SM era packs/set art/ETB art, heck, even the super rare cards were better then. Wake me up when TPCI starts getting creative.. I imagine I'll be asleep for a while....

Meh, these are a bit mediocre to me…

— Teal Mask Ogerpon ex does have the capability to threaten Dark Tera Charizard ex but Dark Tera Charizard ex has its own counter in the form of Entei V, something I’m expecting to rise in usage come rotation.

— Wellspring Mask Ogerpon ex is nice in theory due to Torrential Pump‘s added snipe effect but Manaphy is still present in the format.

— Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon ex is a probably one of the better Ogerpon exs thanks to Cornerstone Stance but doesn’t really threaten much in the format, there’s a plethora of Ability-less attackers and Canceling Cologne is still in the format. The only decks it really threatens are Miraidon ex (which aren’t doing too well post-rotation last time I checked) and Iron Hands ex.

— Hearthflame Mask Ogerpon ex is just too cumbersome to use with the other Ogerpon exs thanks to Wrathful Mask being a bit garbage (I’m not going to say it’s 100% useless, it does get some help via Magma Basin and Hero’s Cape) while Dynamic Blaze has an Energy requirement of 3 Fire Energy and its effect is a double-eged sword. Doing 280 damage to a Stage 1/2 ex is fun, having to discard all of the Energy attached to Hearthflame Ogerpon ex if that requirement is met isn’t.

— Ogre’s Mask is a nice compromise between the expectations that a lot of people had when it came to a Trainer based around Ogerpon’s four masks. Giving allowing you the ability to switch between Teal Mask/Wellspring Mask/Cornerstone Mask/Hearthflame Mask Ogerpon ex was expected but I think making it a Tool would’ve been too broken even with Lost Vacuum in the format. Making it an Item card put a nice theoretical limit of 4 uses (I’m not factoring in any Trainers or Abilities that could bring any Ogre’s Masks back from the discard pile) on it give it a fair amount of balance.

— Baby Teal Mask Ogerpon feels like filler. Mountain Stroll is an okay-ish attack but it’s vulnerable to hand disruption while Ogre Comeback is 90 damage away from OHKOing Dark Tera Charizard ex (30 if you factor in Defiance Band).

All in all, Ogerpon’s presence in the TCG probably won’t reach the same level it’s reached in VGC, some cards may see some play but I doubt it’ll be Tier 1 from what’s currently been revealed.

The Rock Ogerpons's ability is nice, i love any damage rejection abilities. also this would possibly make a nice deck along with the "Ogre's Mask" item...

I see the story has been updated with 1pk and 3pk blisters, but none of those "Premium" Stage 2 blisters this time?

2. No since everything carries over to the new pokémon.
Hmm. My initial assumption is that while special conditions and other effects stays I thought you'd be able to Teal Dance again because it's technically a different Pokemon card, therefore a different ability instance.

If that's not how it works, then a bit of a shame, but understandable.

Wow. Visually this set looks BORING. The SV block, from a collectors standpoint, has been so MEH! The pack arts and ETBs all look the same. I look back at XY/SM era packs/set art/ETB art, heck, even the super rare cards were better then. Wake me up when TPCI starts getting creative.. I imagine I'll be asleep for a while....
You're meant to collect the actual cards not packaging.

But if you also mean the cards then you're having a laugh.

Hmm. My initial assumption is that while special conditions and other effects stays I thought you'd be able to Teal Dance again because it's technically a different Pokemon card, therefore a different ability instance.

If that's not how it works, then a bit of a shame, but understandable.
That's the thing: it doesn't treat it as a different pokémon. For all instances, that card was always in play.

You can see it in the ruling for Thorton, that does the same thing:

Back