Discussion Possible Top 5 XY-On Decks

My Top 5 would be:

5: Siesmotoad/Bats or Raichu/Bats
Siesmotoad is probably gonna see less play do to Vileplume and M Sceptile but I think it will still see play with cards like
Hammers, Flare Grunt, and Crawdaunt for disruption and Lugia EX for attackers.

Raichu/Bats will still see strong play especially with Level Ball coming back but I think it will be expected and won't be as strong as it was in Nationals.

4: Giratina/Vileplume
Will see play no doubt with the amount of potential it has with Giant Plant Forest, Level Ball, Wally, DDE, Hammers, Hex Maniac, and Hydreigon EX.
However I think it will be expected as well if it becomes overhyped so I think it'll be another "Pyroar Deck"

3: Fairys (M Gard/Toolbox)
I think it'll be getting a big boost even without Max Potion. I mean Level Ball, Giratina EX hype, Super Scoop Up, Xerneas, Able to run Fighting and Fire Pokemon for Raichu and Bronzong.
The Toolbox Version will probably see more play because of the type advantage but M Gard will probably still be a decent option

2: M Rayquaza/Bronzong
If you want to play a deck that's has all-around good matchups against pretty much everything in the format M Ray will probably be the best option. It's Powerful, Swift, and Consisntent and can run lots of different things

1: Metal Variants
Why I say this is beyond me, I just think that Metal will be the best because
1. Good Against Toolbox/M Gard
2. Level Ball
and
3. Lots of Attackers (Aigeslash EX, Dialga EX, Heatran, etc.)

Honarable Mentions: MegaMan Variants, Primal Groudon Variants, Primal Kyorge Variants, Night March, Siesmotoad/Crawdaunt,
M Sceptile, Charizard EX, and M Ray/Reshiram
You completely forgot about vespiquen/unown. And what do you mean by pyroar deck???

You completely forgot about vespiquen/unown. And what do you mean by pyroar deck???
Most likely a deck is is hyped so much, but when the real thing comes around ends up underwhelming just the way Pyroar is today.

Well, maybe not as bad as Pyroar, but you get the idea.

Yes, he's basically saying that Giratina EX is over-hyped, like Pyroar. Players were claiming he was broken before the card was even released. But when people started to actually use Pyroar competitively, he ended up being a disappointment. Mainly because of Garbordor and popular Mega pokémon like Mega Rayquaza. The meta wasn't very kind to him.

Last edited:
Yes, he's basically saying that Giratina EX is over-hyped, like Pyroar. Players were claiming he was broken before the card was even released. But when people started to actually use Pyroar competitively, he ended up being a disappointment. Mainly because of Garbordor and popular Mega pokémon like Mega Rayquaza. The meta wasn't very kind to him.
Well id say its quite the opposite of Pyroar then. With so many mega pokemon in the meta as well as the importance of items i think itll be more than viable.

Except there are more basic EXs than Megas...

Used? Exist? Specify.

There are more basic ex pokemon than mega pokemon in the current cardpool we have right now, that is correct.

Are there more mega pokemon decks used than there are big basics? I'm not sure that is necessarily true, but it more than likely has been for quite some time with Yveltal and Seismitoad.

You can use the base versions in the mega decks, but most of them aren't really any good and most likely messes up your strategy more than anything. There's what like three EX big basics used right now? Seismitoad, Yveltal and the metal pokemon.

Pokémon (16)

3 Venusaur EX

4 Treecko

3 Grovyle

3 Sceptile

1 Virizion EX

1 Jirachi EX

Trainers (31)

2 Giant Plant Forest

2 Virbank CIty Gym

2 Rare Candy

3 Muscle Band

4 Ultra Ball

2 Level Ball

2 Professor’s Letter

1 Computer Search

2 Switch

4 Professor Juniper

4 N

1 Teammates

1 Colress

2 Lysandre

Energy (13)

9 Grass Energy

4 Double Colorless Energy

What do you guys think of this decklist? It's very fast, hits quite hard, and is an auto win against Seismitoad EX decks and Kyogre decks. It can also deal with Vespiquen and Raichu. I don't know how well it will do against Accelgor/Trevenant or Trevenant/ Shaymin, but I think it is a really cool deck. For those of you that don't know, Venusaur's first attack does 60 damage and poison's your opponent's active Pokemon much like Gengar EX for [G] [C] [C]. Sceptile's Ability lets you attach an extra grass energy card from your hand to one of your pokemon and heal 30 damage from that Pokemon. Combined with Venusaur's second attack (90 and 30 heal for one more [G] energy), you could shrug off 90 damage in 1 turn! If you get a Sceptile up and running quickly, Not only could you get a Turn 1 Poison Powder, but you can also pretty much shut out the game, with a constant stream of healing and new attackers. Anyway, I haven't playtested this too much, so please give me feedback about the decklist. Thanks!

Used? Exist? Specify.

There are more basic ex pokemon than mega pokemon in the current cardpool we have right now, that is correct.

Are there more mega pokemon decks used than there are big basics? I'm not sure that is necessarily true, but it more than likely has been for quite some time with Yveltal and Seismitoad.

You can use the base versions in the mega decks, but most of them aren't really any good and most likely messes up your strategy more than anything. There's what like three EX big basics used right now? Seismitoad, Yveltal and the metal pokemon.

Dialga-EX, Seismitoad-EX, Yveltal-EX, Aegislash-EX, Lucario-EX, Lugia-EX/Mewtwo-EX... and then you have bats, bats, bats, Raichu, Hippodown (perhaps), Beautifly (likely) and a lot of other non-EXs to deal with.

And that's not all - the pre-evolutions of popular megas do pack a punch! They can attack and should never be overlooked:
Groudon-EX, Kyogre-EX, Manectric-EX, Sceptile-EX, Rayquaza-EX... All of these can 2-hit KO Giratina quicker (or at a same pace) than Giratina can 2-hit KO them. Btw, Giratina messes up your strategy if you mega evolve, so attacking with these isn't going to change much! Adapting strategy is half the matchup.

And then you have Silent Lab that you can drop before your opponent starts attacking with Giratina.

Besides, as soon as your opponent notices you've got Giratina in your deck, they should start playing differently - not evolving Megas but instead powering up attackers. It's a simple and effective counter. However, an unsuspecting 1-of copy of Giratina being dropped in a deck can be absolutely devastating. Just not good enough to warrant its own deck imo.

Dialga-EX, Seismitoad-EX, Yveltal-EX, Aegislash-EX, Lucario-EX, Lugia-EX/Mewtwo-EX... and then you have bats, bats, bats, Raichu, Hippodown (perhaps), Beautifly (likely) and a lot of other non-EXs to deal with.

And that's not all - the pre-evolutions of popular megas do pack a punch! They can attack and should never be overlooked:
Groudon-EX, Kyogre-EX, Manectric-EX, Sceptile-EX, Rayquaza-EX... All of these can 2-hit KO Giratina quicker (or at a same pace) than Giratina can 2-hit KO them. Btw, Giratina messes up your strategy if you mega evolve, so attacking with these isn't going to change much! Adapting strategy is half the matchup.

And then you have Silent Lab that you can drop before your opponent starts attacking with Giratina.

Besides, as soon as your opponent notices you've got Giratina in your deck, they should start playing differently - not evolving Megas but instead powering up attackers. It's a simple and effective counter. However, an unsuspecting 1-of copy of Giratina being dropped in a deck can be absolutely devastating. Just not good enough to warrant its own deck imo.

I don't really see that many decks you could just fit giratina in though, it needs a lot of energy to make it work, two types as well.

@AwesomeElephant, that deck would be illegal in the next format due to the fact you have several Pokemon and items that are in B&W2. Namely, Virizon EX, Jirachi EX, Virbank City Gym, Colress and Computer Search. So that won't be a decent deck at all as you'll need to find substitutes for those which is rather hard.

With regards to the OP, we don't know. The English sets are notorious in adding new cards at the last minute. E.g. Phantom Forces in Japan didn't include Dialga EX which was in the Hyper Metal deck. We had it and got reprints of Sycamore, Shauna and Tierno with that. So I'm more willing to wait until the official list comes out then we can argue exactly what is the BDIF. In terms of a general idea, the major players would be M.Rayquaza/Skyfield wreckfest, Seismitoad/Bats, Hyper Metal Link Deck (involving Aegislash EX, Dialga EX or other metal Pokemon) and as well as P.Groudon. Those have been proven and tested to work.

I'm going to make M-Sceptile/Machamp EX work, you heard it here first folks. It'll shall be called "Emerald Warudo" and its gonna be hot hot hot

I don't really see that many decks you could just fit giratina in though, it needs a lot of energy to make it work, two types as well.
Eh, there wouldn't be too many at all. But what does it matter? Giratina is just a wall - for reasons mentioned above, I highly doubt a deck built around it would work well.

For me: my top 5 XY-ON decks are:
Lugia-EX/Hoopa-EX
M-Manectric-EX/Pachi (my deck made in Tcgone)
Night March/Vespiquen
Golurk AT/Eevelutions
Full Retaliation (Gyarados AT)

Pokémon (16)

3 Venusaur EX

4 Treecko

3 Grovyle

3 Sceptile

1 Virizion EX

1 Jirachi EX

Trainers (31)

2 Giant Plant Forest

2 Virbank CIty Gym

2 Rare Candy

3 Muscle Band

4 Ultra Ball

2 Level Ball

2 Professor’s Letter

1 Computer Search

2 Switch

4 Professor Juniper

4 N

1 Teammates

1 Colress

2 Lysandre

Energy (13)

9 Grass Energy

4 Double Colorless Energy

What do you guys think of this decklist? It's very fast, hits quite hard, and is an auto win against Seismitoad EX decks and Kyogre decks. It can also deal with Vespiquen and Raichu. I don't know how well it will do against Accelgor/Trevenant or Trevenant/ Shaymin, but I think it is a really cool deck. For those of you that don't know, Venusaur's first attack does 60 damage and poison's your opponent's active Pokemon much like Gengar EX for [G] [C] [C]. Sceptile's Ability lets you attach an extra grass energy card from your hand to one of your pokemon and heal 30 damage from that Pokemon. Combined with Venusaur's second attack (90 and 30 heal for one more [G] energy), you could shrug off 90 damage in 1 turn! If you get a Sceptile up and running quickly, Not only could you get a Turn 1 Poison Powder, but you can also pretty much shut out the game, with a constant stream of healing and new attackers. Anyway, I haven't playtested this too much, so please give me feedback about the decklist. Thanks!
Nice deck setup. Is it for Expanded set? I saw Genesect and Jirachi on your deck,and I call the Giant Plant Forest Stadium card as Forest of Giant Plants (the real name of that card on Ancient Origins).

That is not exactly how I would describe it!

When Pyroar was released in Furious Fists it did have quite an impact, at least in forcing people to adapt their decks if they didn't have a readymade answer (like Garbador-Toad did). I think it did okay competitively- IIRC a Pyroar deck got to the finals of US nationals last year. But it was pretty much dead by the time of Winter Cities in 2014 because of Donphan. It already had done really well in Autumn Regionals, and during cities it went from tier 1 to being, briefly, BDIF. Phantom Forces brought us some playable megas but actually they didn't see that much play and weren't that successful in that cities. Megas didn't become really widely played until after the release of Primal Clash when we got Primal Groudon and the meta became better for Manectric, and then eventually Rayquaza (in the next set). But I don't think that the megs really killed Pyroar so much as commemorated its death. What killed it was Toad Garbador, Donphan, and then the presence of other strong stage 1 decks in the meta- Flareon and Execggutor. Basically, since winter cities there's been a tier 1 deck with stage 1 Pokemon, Gardbador and laserbank everywhere, or both. This was enough to kill Pyroar... but just in case you were foolish enough to play it, you'd run into a Mega Manectric and that would remind you why you were unsure in the first place.

That's my take on it anway.

@AwesomeElephant, that deck would be illegal in the next format due to the fact you have several Pokemon and items that are in B&W2. Namely, Virizon EX, Jirachi EX, Virbank City Gym, Colress and Computer Search. So that won't be a decent deck at all as you'll need to find substitutes for those which is rather hard.

With regards to the OP, we don't know. The English sets are notorious in adding new cards at the last minute. E.g. Phantom Forces in Japan didn't include Dialga EX which was in the Hyper Metal deck. We had it and got reprints of Sycamore, Shauna and Tierno with that. So I'm more willing to wait until the official list comes out then we can argue exactly what is the BDIF. In terms of a general idea, the major players would be M.Rayquaza/Skyfield wreckfest, Seismitoad/Bats, Hyper Metal Link Deck (involving Aegislash EX, Dialga EX or other metal Pokemon) and as well as P.Groudon. Those have been proven and tested to work.

This deck is in the BW-on Expanded format, which has become the primary format for competitive play next season. If Plasma Storm/Blast get rotated out in Expanded next season, this deck won't work, but for now, I can give it a shot.

Nice deck setup. Is it for Expanded set? I saw Genesect and Jirachi on your deck,and I call the Giant Plant Forest Stadium card as Forest of Giant Plants (the real name of that card on Ancient Origins).
Yes, this deck is and Expanded deck. But there aren't any Genesect in it, just 1 Virizion to deal with Accelgor.

That is not exactly how I would describe it!

When Pyroar was released in Furious Fists it did have quite an impact, at least in forcing people to adapt their decks if they didn't have a readymade answer (like Garbador-Toad did). I think it did okay competitively- IIRC a Pyroar deck got to the finals of US nationals last year. But it was pretty much dead by the time of Winter Cities in 2014 because of Donphan. It already had done really well in Autumn Regionals, and during cities it went from tier 1 to being, briefly, BDIF. Phantom Forces brought us some playable megas but actually they didn't see that much play and weren't that successful in that cities. Megas didn't become really widely played until after the release of Primal Clash when we got Primal Groudon and the meta became better for Manectric, and then eventually Rayquaza (in the next set). But I don't think that the megs really killed Pyroar so much as commemorated its death. What killed it was Toad Garbador, Donphan, and then the presence of other strong stage 1 decks in the meta- Flareon and Execggutor. Basically, since winter cities there's been a tier 1 deck with stage 1 Pokemon, Gardbador and laserbank everywhere, or both. This was enough to kill Pyroar... but just in case you were foolish enough to play it, you'd run into a Mega Manectric and that would remind you why you were unsure in the first place.

That's my take on it anway.

Yeah, I was just giving a brief explanation, but that's pretty much how it was yes

Back