Discussion Possible Top 5 XY-On Decks

I have deck tested using proxies for M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross but I just don't think it will be the superstar people think it will be because M Heracross EX does'nt have a Heracross Spirit Link. Instead I think M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross EX will be a good or mediocre tier 2 deck. What do you guys think the top 5 decks would be at this point for the XY-On format. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hey yall what about m-heracross M-sceptile?
The problem with M Sceptile EX is finding a good secondary, which means finding a beefy EX that can use Grass Energy AND has a low retreat cost, especially with Float Stone and Keldeo EX rotating out. M Heracross EX seems to synergize well thanks to the healing factor, but it doesn't have a Spirit Link, and has a high retreat cost. Same goes for M Venusaur EX. Lugia EX is too much of an energy hog given the current metagame. M Khangaskhan EX falls into the same camp as the Grass Megas. And M Rayquaza EX requires resources that run counter to M Sceptile.

I think long-term M Sceptile has potential, but not right now.

1 Raichu/Bats
2 Metal variants
3 Giratina/Vileplume
4 Vespiquen
5 Primal Groudon

Last edited:
...but I would like to know what the competition for the XY-On formate might be. Some ideas I would like to throw out would be Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless), M Ampharos EX,Primal Groudon EX, and M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross EX...

1. Raichu/ Bats
2. Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless)
3. Giratina EX/ Vileplume
4. M Rayquaza EX (Colorless)
5. Primal Groudon EX

These are so far some competitive decks you might consider when going to your next tournament for the XY-On rotation!
Other decks I would suggest adding/considering are:

Machamp EX - Ariados
Metagross - Bronzong
M Tyranitar - Bats
Raichu - Eeveelutions
All of these can feature some hard-hitting Poke, as well as take advantage of some solid techs.

Of particular interest (to me at least) are the new Eeveelutions. As @My Little Keldeo mentioned above, the soon to be released Eeveelutions may very well be combined with a number of different Poke in order to cover a range of Weaknesses. So, again this could spawn a wide variety of good, diversified decks without any 1-2 decks dominating the format.

Other decks I would suggest adding/considering are:

Machamp EX - Ariados
Metagross - Bronzong
M Tyranitar - Bats
Raichu - Eeveelutions
All of these can feature some hard-hitting Poke, as well as take advantage of some solid techs.

Of particular interest (to me at least) are the new Eeveelutions. As @My Little Keldeo mentioned above, the soon to be released Eeveelutions may very well be combined with a number of different Poke in order to cover a range of Weaknesses. So, again this could spawn a wide variety of good, diversified decks without any 1-2 decks dominating the format.

I vote for the Metagross and Machamp deck. Machamp is surprisingly versatile being able to stack a bunch of damage if need be, or just be quick and down with it for speed.

Metagross is just a fun carousel, plus I love Metagross in general.

Personal preferences aside, those ancient origin additions are very intriguing.

I'm not so sure about straight-up Night March being that good with the "XY-On" format. Losing Mew EX will be a huge blow to NM since that's what gives the deck speed.

Joltik will be the quickest way to attack without Mew but it only has, let's be ready, 30 FRIGGIN HP. Isn't that alot? Yes it is enough. Only some people from XY-On can one-shot in a turn; baby Yveltal, Seismitoad EX and best of all, if Latios EX goes first, he can one shot Joltik!

Obviously the NM player can be smart and only bench Joltik. But it's not safe from Escape Rope, Lysandre (that's a bit of a stretch), Metagross from AOR and bench damage. You don't have to worry about a Hammerhead, but you can still be sniped from M Latios, Manectric EX, Hoopa EX (if someone is insane enough to power it up). If Noivern ever does become a thing, you can also OHKO benched Joltiks and 2HKO Pumpkaboos. Echolocation may also prevent the 220 damage from an annoying low HP Pokemon that can OHKO everything except for Wailord.

Ive played mew-less NM a lot and having a mew doesnt "increase" its speed. Straight NM can hit any number required going 2nd to take the KO, its brutal. And as the joltik is so squishy you simply trade prizes better then your opponent.

Hey yall what about m-heracross M-sceptile?

M heracross has a max output of 200 so it would need something like bats to take KOs on other megas. And it youre just going to 2- shot. Millions of things could do that with less effort.
M Sceptile could probably find a better partner in something else.

Boom
Ive played mew-less NM a lot and having a mew doesnt "increase" its speed. Straight NM can hit any number required going 2nd to take the KO, its brutal. And as the joltik is so squishy you simply trade prizes better then your opponent.

M heracross has a max output of 200 so it would need something like bats to take KOs on other megas. And it youre just going to 2- shot. Millions of things could do that with less effort.
M Sceptile could probably find a better partner in something else.
I'm going to make a Noivern deck. It's gonna be fun against NM. Discard as many Night Marchers as you like. It wont matter if Echolocation gets heads. And Lysandre/Escape Rope might not work if I have a whole field of Noivern. Target Whistle says hi to Joltik.

Boom
I'm going to make a Noivern deck. It's gonna be fun against NM. Discard as many Night Marchers as you like. It wont matter if Echolocation gets heads. And Lysandre/Escape Rope might not work if I have a whole field of Noivern. Target Whistle says hi to Joltik.

One fringe deck that has a very good matchup against NM doesnt disregard NM as a good deck ~ The viability of a deck is dependent on the field.
You can make specific decks that have a good matchup against any particular deck.

And going with your example, Noivern has a harder time against the field then NM does.

One fringe deck that has a very good matchup against NM doesnt disregard NM as a good deck ~ The viability of a deck is dependent on the field.
You can make specific decks that have a good matchup against any particular deck.

And going with your example, Noivern has a harder time against the field then NM does.

What would be the best matchup for a Mega Rayquaza deck? The colorless normal one?

Boom

Hex Maniac says hi to Echolocation. Unless your deck can do well against every other deck as well as Night March, running it just to counter Night March is the work of a fool, because everything else will nuke you to death.

I edited the list and I added Machamp EX/ Ariados, I don't think Metagross EX/Bronzong will be there in the top 5 because it just does not hit hard enough for a stage 2. Also I don't think Noibern will be there because a lot of it relies on hitting head to stop damage done to it so that did not make the top 5 list either. I appreciate all input!

I edited the list and I added Machamp EX/ Ariados, I don't think Metagross EX/Bronzong will be there in the top 5 because it just does not hit hard enough for a stage 2. Also I don't think Noibern will be there because a lot of it relies on hitting head to stop damage done to it so that did not make the top 5 list either. I appreciate all input!

Figured as much.

I mean, if no one ran Haxorus/Bronzong, who can do what Metagross can do better (as in can use DDE to get 80 damage for 1 attachment) without the discard sees no play, why would Metagross/Bronzong be big?

Like I said earlier I am actually deck testing with a Giratina EX/ Vileplume deck using proxies and think it has a lot of potential and think it deserves the number 4 spot on this list. I appreciate all input!

Like I said earlier I am actually deck testing with a Giratina EX/ Vileplume deck using proxies and think it has a lot of potential and think it deserves the number 4 spot on this list. I appreciate all input!

How well does the deck do against Fairies? That would be the decks biggest obstacle, seeing how Baby Xerneas OHKOs Giratina EX.

My thing about Night March: putting NMers into Vespiquen would make it like the Flareon version of Night March; but straight Flareon is better than the Flareon version of NM. I think other versions of Vespiquen are likely to better than a NM-Vespiquen hybrid.

Just a hunch, of course.

I've never known why exactly straight Flareon is better than Flareon March. Is it because of the over-reliance on DCE?

You've really made a "top five" list? How can you rank them?! Pokemon is like paper, scisscors, rock. Unless your Jason Klaczynski then you are just god.

Back