Discussion Possible Top 5 XY-On Decks

Mega Adi

Aspiring Trainer
So I am deciding for the XY-On rotation I will be making a Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Hydreigon EX deck but I would like to know what the competition for the XY-On formate might be. Some ideas I would like to throw out would be Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless), Machamp EX/ Ariados,Primal Groudon EX, and M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross EX. Some of these decks have already done well in the 2015 Nationals but not all good decks from Nationals will survive the rotation like Night March, personally losing the Mew EX will really hurt the deck. I appreciate all input!

1. Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless)
2. Raichu/ Bats
3. Metal Variants
4. Giratina EX/ Vileplume
5. Vespiquen/ Eveelutions

These are so far some competitive decks you might consider when going to your next tournament for the XY-On rotation!

Here is a link to my Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Hydreigon EX deck!
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/xy-on-giratina-ex-hydreigon-ex-vileplume.124920/

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
So I am deciding for the XY-On rotation I will be making a Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Shaymin EX deck but I would like to know what the competition for the XY-On formate might be. Some ideas I would like to throw out would be Metal/ M Rayquaza EX (Colorless), M Ampharos EX,Primal Groudon EX, and M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross EX. Some of these decks have already done well in the 2015 Nationals but not all good decks from Nationals will survive the rotation like Night March, personally losing the Mew EX will really hurt the deck. I appreciate all input!

Here is a link to my Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Shaymin EX deck!

You seem to be hyping Ancient Origin decks a lot. I personally am a bit sceptible of Giratina/Shaymin and Ampharos, and I doubt they will become super top tier without some really good engineering and a great piloter. I think Metal is going to be really strong next format - it loses virtually nothing besides Keldeo, which is just a tech anyway. It does lose Coballion, although I'm not sure how good that is.

crann777

I See You
I agree with bbninjas. Raichu, Groudon, and Metal really don't lose much. Not convinced that M Sceptile is going to be as amazing out of the gate that people seem to think it is. I can easily see Giratina being a big flop if the Break mechanic is worthwhile.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
I think Ampharos might have potential to be a bit of a sleeper hit. On one side, it requires 4 Energy and hurts itself to do 170. It will probably also lose out to decks that only trade one prize, such as Night March. However, it does a good amount of damage, counters M-Ray and anything it doesn't knock out in one hit will be Paralysed and ready for a follow-up attack.

Perhaps powering it up with Togekiss and keeping a few Miltank for one-prize attackers could give the deck support. However, as much as I'd like the deck to be viable, I have the sneaking suspicion it'll be relegated to M-Kyogre levels of missed potential.

I think Raichu will stay strong post-rotation, and Metal-Ray too. I wouldn't totally write off Night March, but it might drop a bit with losing Mew/Empoleon. The upcoming Vespiquen can make good use of Marchers, and Unown/Swampert could replace Empoleon as a nice draw engine.

Mega Adi

Aspiring Trainer
Yeah maybe I overshot the M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross, but I still see potential in Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Hydreigon EX. So the new Top 5 decks that has been discussed are Metal/ M Rayquaza EX, Raichu, Primal Groudon EX. I appreciate all input!

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Yeah maybe I overshot the M Sceptile EX/ M Heracross and M Ampharos EX but I still see potential in Giratina EX/ Vileplume/ Shaymin EX. So the new Top 5 decks that has been discussed are Metal/ M Rayquaza EX, Raichu, Primal Groudon EX, and M Ampharos is debatable. I appreciate all input!
I suggest taking this by a grain of salt. Noone is going to know the best deck after rotation, or the top 5 for that matter, especially considering the future sets to be released. I also think Metal in general would be good, not just M/M-Ray. M-Man will likely be strong, as with Psychic based decks that have originally been suppressed due to the presence of Mewtwo-EX. Spread decks - particularly M-Gallade - will perhaps be strong due to no Mime, while Fighting [Bats] variants could easily popup. There is simply soooo much potential for dozens of decks after rotation - possibly more than ~10 possibilities now - making it difficult to choose a top.

Jaaaaay

Fear the Six Karp Fisherman
Bat Variants
Bronzong Variants
Vespiquen
Eeveelutions Variants
Vileplume Variants
Night March
Aroma Variants

tldr ~ lots of stuff will be good XY-on

NintendoAlian

Frontier Brain
The problem I have with Primal Groudon is that there is too much grass. With M Sceptile and Vespiquen, it has some bad matchups to the popular decks in the format.

Mega Adi

Aspiring Trainer
Personally Jaaaaay I think Bats Variants, Bronzong Variants, and Vileplume Variants are the only strong ones from your list. The really competitive Bronzong Variants I think would be Metal/ Rayquaza, as for the Vileplume Variants I think Giratina EX will be the only competitive deck that goes with that. I thinks the Bats Variants will be good by themselves in a lot of decks though. As for NintendoAlien I think your are right about Primal Groudon EX, but I still think for now it deserves a spot on this list. I appreciate all input!

Gengar96

Aspiring Trainer
May I ask why no one has mentioned Machamp-Ariados?... With all of the fighting support and lack of "good" psychic decks (other than Gallade) I feel that Machamp will be a top tier deck... With energy acceleration from Landorus and support like Korina, Strong Energy, Muscle Band, and Fighting Stadium I believe this will be a very hard deck to stop. In my opinion of course... Thoughts?

Joseph Redd

Been a Gengar fan since Gen 1.
May I ask why no one has mentioned Machamp-Ariados?... With all of the fighting support and lack of "good" psychic decks (other than Gallade) I feel that Machamp will be a top tier deck... With energy acceleration from Landorus and support like Korina, Strong Energy, Muscle Band, and Fighting Stadium I believe this will be a very hard deck to stop. In my opinion of course... Thoughts?
Gengar,Night March(I know it looses some key cards, but I wouldn't count it out just yet) and Trevenant(and the occasional attacking Wobbufett) say "Hello". They are all viable Psychic type decks/attackers,IMO(just saying). Anyways, I like the idea of Machamp/Ariados,as long as you can consistently keep an Ariados on the field. It simultaneously poisons your opponent while Machamp self heals his own poison while dealing 160 base damage(after it is poisoned). Considering all the damage multipliers that Fighting has, even Mega Pokemon won't be that hard to OHKO. I realize it will be kind of slow to set up, but, like you mentioned, that can be somewhat mitigated with Landorus(FUF). How viable it will be competitively remains to be seen. I don't like to speculate about what will and will not be viable, especially with 1) an unconfirmed rotation(XY-on isn't official yet. I am personally rooting for Legendary Treasures-on, even though it might not happen:rolleyes:) and 2) not knowing what will be in the next few sets(at least through December, so the set after Ancient Origins and any Promo cards between now and then.), but throwing around deck ideas is always fun.

I think, in addition to decks mentioned above, MTTar varients(Bats/Forretress/etc.) will be good as well( I know Bats were mentioned, but I don't think they are the only possible partner for MTTar). I will have to re-check the cards before I present any other ides. I like a lot of Rogue Decks myself,so I will be looking for those as well as "meta" decks. Let me know what you all think.

You say this as if Pyroar was ever a thing :p

But agreeing with what bbninjas said - megas were and will be his downfall
Pyroar was a thing, albeit VERY briefly, when Flashfire first came out. Diego Cassiraga took a Quad Pyorar/Charizard-EX deck to Worlds 2014. But I do agree, the rise and/or fall of Megas will directly affect how good/bad Pyroar will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
I think multi purpose denial decks that just mess your opponent's strategy out will do very well, between aegislash, giritina, nine tails, craw daunt, woabuffet, vileplume (perhaps), toad, maybe even bunnelby, hammers, paint rollers, hex maniacs, xerosic, lysandre and team flare grunts plus everything else, a general stall and disrupt deck that wins through deck out might be very viable. There are a lot of disruption cards out there at the moment which can be real headaches for all the main tier decks, and decks run so fast even without LTC. People are having to play more conservatively but there is still plenty of room for just annoying your opponent to death (deck out).

Kinda like the semi successful fairy tool box of this rotation, but instead of relying on fairy abilities you take out the fairy support and just turn the disruption dial up to eleven.

crann777

I See You
I think multi purpose denial decks that just mess your opponent's strategy out will do very well, between aegislash, giritina, nine tails, craw daunt, woabuffet, vileplume (perhaps), toad, maybe even bunnelby, hammers, paint rollers, hex maniacs, xerosic, lysandre and team flare grunts plus everything else, a general stall and disrupt deck that wins through deck out might be very viable. There are a lot of disruption cards out there at the moment which can be real headaches for all the main tier decks, and decks run so fast even without LTC. People are having to play more conservatively but there is still plenty of room for just annoying your opponent to death (deck out).

Kinda like the semi successful fairy tool box of this rotation, but instead of relying on fairy abilities you take out the fairy support and just turn the disruption dial up to eleven.
After Wailord's success at Nationals we might see a change to the Swiss format that make long, drawn out denial games less viable.

Talkingcat

Aspiring Trainer
I wouldn't totally write off Night March, but it might drop a bit with losing Mew/Empoleon. The upcoming Vespiquen can make good use of Marchers, and Unown/Swampert could replace Empoleon as a nice draw engine.

My thing about Night March: putting NMers into Vespiquen would make it like the Flareon version of Night March; but straight Flareon is better than the Flareon version of NM. I think other versions of Vespiquen are likely to better than a NM-Vespiquen hybrid.

Just a hunch, of course.

asdjklghty

-------------
I'm not so sure about straight-up Night March being that good with the "XY-On" format. Losing Mew EX will be a huge blow to NM since that's what gives the deck speed.

Joltik will be the quickest way to attack without Mew but it only has, let's be ready, 30 FRIGGIN HP. Isn't that alot? Yes it is enough. Only some people from XY-On can one-shot in a turn; baby Yveltal, Seismitoad EX and best of all, if Latios EX goes first, he can one shot Joltik!

Obviously the NM player can be smart and only bench Joltik. But it's not safe from Escape Rope, Lysandre (that's a bit of a stretch), Metagross from AOR and bench damage. You don't have to worry about a Hammerhead, but you can still be sniped from M Latios, Manectric EX, Hoopa EX (if someone is insane enough to power it up). If Noivern ever does become a thing, you can also OHKO benched Joltiks and 2HKO Pumpkaboos. Echolocation may also prevent the 220 damage from an annoying low HP Pokemon that can OHKO everything except for Wailord.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
Fighting / Bats still seems like a powerful and aggressive deck post-rotation. Losing both the free retreat Zubat and Landorus will be annoying, but Lucario and Hawlucha are still very powerful hitters in their own right, and could do a fine job keeping Fighting decks alive. The focus of the deck will have to shift from manipulating snipe damage for double prizes to straight-up pounding the Active, but I see no reason that a fast, aggressive strategy wouldn't be viable. Maxie's Hidden Ball Trick could possibly see use as a means of getting M Lucario-EX out, though this is perhaps a bit of a stretch.

Vespiqueen also looks like a frightfully powerful non-EX deck. The new Eeveelutions will allow it to exploit up to four Weaknesses. In addition, Unown from Ancient Origins was practically made for fueling Vespiqueen, and also combos well with Swampert / Archie's Ace in the Hole to get you any card you need right away. We're still in the theorymon stages, but I honestly can't see Vespiqueen being any lower than Tier 2.