ORAS Your Team in OR / AS?

Metalizard said:
Man, I don't know what's going to be my team anymore...
They keep announcing new Megas, I'm not sure if I'll actually get both OR and AS, and seeing that these can be used to start again with Hoenn Pokémon, I've developed a wish to re-use my Emerald team, and in fact ditch the old ones from the now outdated game...
Problem is, even if I get both OR and AS, they're only 2 games, and although I'd like to re-use my old team, I also want to use two new teams, one for each game.
It's mainly because I'd like to catch a proper Rayquaza this time, since my old one from Emerald, is modified (meaning I hacked it) because I was pissed with my bad luck of getting a bad nature one in Emerald. And so, I've always felt it wasn't really legit, and I've lived with that "guilt" until now... Also, Blaziken and Rayquaza have the Legend Ribbon from battling Red in SS, and I won't be able to give them the ribbon again in the near future, I suppose.
I thought of buying Omega Ruby, and use it as my main game, then buy Alpha Sapphire and start a game with my old team, transfer them and restart to use the planed team I had for Alpha Sapphire... but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a "real" Rayquaza (as well as the other pokémon from the team) as the ID would be different from both my OR and AS teams, as if they never actually existed...
I only restarted two games, SS twice to get Chikorita and Cyndaquil, then played for real with Totodile. Also, X once, to transfer a Froakie to Y and then restarted it to use Fennekin for the actual run... It was mainly to get the starters and I try to avoid that as much as possible because of what I said above... They don't feel as real as the ones in my definitive files...
This may all sound really picky and absurd, but I'm just like that...

Still, what I'm sure I'm going to use is Sceptile, Swampert (if I also buy AS), Gallade and Salamence... Those are guaranteed...

I totally understand your frustration, expect I only have the money for one game! Do I build a team, use my old team... etc. I've decided to nuzlocke it and leave it to fate. But if I fail the nuzlocke, I'll just restart and use what I want.

I'm rethinking my team because I don't really want to use Medicham, and I want to experiment with some non-Hoenn stuff. This is what I'm thinking now:

Sceptile
Mightyena
Manectric
Camerupt
Lopunny
Skarmory

I'm constantly thinking about what I want to use, and I have a list of Pokemon I really want to use:

Sceptile
Lopunny
Armaldo
Medicham
Ludicolo
Walrein

And I have one Pokemon that definetly will be on my team, and that's my shiny Numel, I really want a shiny Camerupt and I do need a fire type.

Initially I planned on remaking my original Ruby squad, but since I'm transferring my old Ruby and Emerald teams over, I thought I'd go with something else.

Torchic - may not evolve her, I didn't with Chikorita in Heart Gold
Ralts - Gardevoir
Ralts - Gallade
Feebas - Milotic
Swablu - Altaria
???

It's not all that balanced and definitely on the girly side, but they're what the girls and I like. And it'd be a challenge.

Don't forget to elaborate by explaining why you're picking certain Pokémon! This promotes better discussion. I also added some spoiler tags to large images, so they don't break the page.

I've never done a nuzlocke on a first playthrough before and I've never done one on a generation III game, so this seems like the perfect opportunity to start ^-^. I will choose Sceptile because its the first Pokémon I ever had and I love the dragon typing for the mega. I'm also getting both games.

Sapphire was my first ever Pokémon game but I always end up using the first game I get of each generation as my main hub for Pokémon storage, so I'm reluctant to start with AS as I may not be able to replay it as often as I like. However, in writing this post I'm starting to convince myself to get Pokémon Bank...

Since I was a n00b when I first played Sapphire, I didn't really have a team so much as I had Treeko/Grovyle (for some reason I nicknamed it Sceptile from the begining, not realising that it would do that anyway) and Dustox early on then Sceptile mid-game then Kyogre for late game sweeping. It kind of went this way with all my playthroughs of Sapphire so I ended up with lots of different starters (and other Pokémon I solo'd with) and a whole heap of Kyogres. If I was choosing a team to go with for just a straight up playthrough I would probably go with Blaziken (<3), Crobat, Breloom (both for nostalgia), Ludicolo (Mirror B. tribute and never used before), Aggron/Mawile/Sableye (never used before and are all really cool) and Flygon (<3 <3). Listing those makes me want to do a straight up playthrough and not a nuzlocke now >.>

MY team as of now will probably look like this:

- Mudkip (this little one is so cute) I usually don't evolve my pokemon until late game to keep them "small&cute" for longer. Also I've been always in love with swampert and megaswampert is sweet... like the cherry topping the cake.
- Nuzleaf (I think it has a very cool design). It's gonna evolve into shiftry very very late ingame if at all...
- Beedrill (I love bug types in general and beedrill has been one of my favorites for ever) I used one in my playthrough in pokemon X and will use it again. It will evolve very early since it's preevos are very lame and not as cool-looking as the final (also mega beedrill looks sick!)
- Politoed (if available) I love the green toad and it will help activate mega swampert's ability late in game
- Trapinch (I like its design a lot too, vibrava being my favorite of the three but I also love flygon... so not matter what stage he'll be in I would love it for sure. He will also be my flying pokemon.

Also they will be All MALE as I tend to prefere them... unless they look extremely feminine like gardevoir... also I may change one or two yet but they'll most likely be the ones :)

Assuming that Exp share will work the same way as in X/Y im going to be using a rotation of the following and thier evolutions To get through the story Treecko, Growlithe, Buizel, Purrloin, Mankey, Pidgey, Lotad, Sandshrew, Slowpoke, Corphish, Pichu, Weedle and Whismur. I really do love the new mechanic for exp share, being able to rotate pokemon during the story is pretty fun and changed things up without requiring harder work.

I've been thinking lately about my team, and I've almost got everything planned out. I'll definitely be using
1. Swampert
2. Gardevoir
3. Magnezone
4. Absol

I may use Crobat. I haven't decided yet. I really like Crobat, but I'm worried if I catch too many Pokemon early on and try to divide exp between all of them, I'll become underleveled like I did in X. When I got to Wulfric I was 11 levels below him (and this was after battling every single available trainer in the game up to that point), and had to spend some time grinding in the woods below the city. This was because I had a full team of 6 by the time I got my 3rd badge, and had so many to level at once from an early point. I really don't want to have that happen again. I probably won't use a full team of 6 in ORAS. 5 at most, if I decide to include Crobat. Maybe I'll add a 6th post-game. Or turn on Exp. Share if I absolutely have to.

I decided for the first time ever to go with a "theme" team with AS. Since Im picking Treecko as my starter, I chose reptiles for the basis and went from there....

Sooooo I ended up with:

*(shiny)Sceptile @ MS w/ Modest nature featuring HP Fire
NN- Rheagal
* Feraligatr w/ Adamant nature featuring DD and Ice Punch
NN- Gatraid
* Salamence @ MS w/ Jolly nature featuring DD
NN- Valkyrie (its the only female on my team)
* Scrafty w/ Adamant nature featuring Fake Out and Drain Punch
NN- Bone Thug
Helioptile w/ Timid nature featuring Glare
NN-none as of yet, cant think of a decent and unique one.

I left the last spot open for the eventual rotating of HM slaves lol

My main run is always monotype using a type not used by gym leaders and with an emphasis on role play. The only type that works in this game and also allows you to use a starter is grass (Ground too, but that's Steven's thing). The fact my partner is a casual botanist doesn't hurt... the fact I'm chasing down Team Magma might. But I love a good challenge.
M-Sceptile
Shiftry
Ludicolo (trade)
Breloom
Roserade
Tropius

In my other copy I've decided on
Swampert
Absol
Gardevoir
Magnezone
Undecided
Undecided
As those are four of my favorite six. Hawlucha and Smeargle would round out the team depending on their availability in the national dex, but I'll likely have to find replacements in Ninetales and Flygon.

[Footnote: I totally recommend trying a monotype run! It can provide an incredible challenge and encourages you to use mons you normally wouldn't for reasons beyond "I normally wouldn't." :)]

I made this thread in about June, or even May, so I have made a few changes in my team.

Sceptile is still here.
It has only been solidified as a member ever since it could fire off its tail like a spinning drill.
Also, seed bombs.

Minun/Plusle will be mandatory for Sceptile's Lightningrod.
I'll get either Minun or Plusle depending on who I encounter first.
They're still both qt3.14's.

The shiny Beldum.
Why?
I dunno.
Shiny spider-tanks are cool.
The claws still look like cheese, though.

Sharpedo is a torpedo shark.
That is all.

Medicham or Hariyama, because I have a newfound love for Fighting types, and I haven't ever used one on a story team. Except XY.
Medicham looks cooler than Hariyama, but it's also Psychic, like Metagross.
So I'll decide if he gets the spot or not.

And lastly, uh....
Who knows.

ORAS is a week away....

I've got a long list of stuff I might like to use, but currently it's looking like this:

-Sceptile
Sceptile was cool to begin with, and Mega Sceptile just makes things better.

-Metagross (the shiny Beldum)
I wanted to use the XY launch Torchic, but never did. This is to make up for that... and because SHINY METAGROSS

-Altaria/Salamence/Flygon/Rayquaza
Mandatory flyer. I would use Flygon, but I just used that on my digital copy of Y, so...

-Dusknoir
I like Duskull and have never used this guy before.

-Walrein/Crawdaunt/Breloom/Armaldo
On the one hand, I need a surfer. On the other hand, I need glorious Hoenn Grass-types and Armaldo.

-Shiftry/Breloom/Armaldo
There are too many Grass Pokemon in Hoenn. I could easily do a monotype run, but I don't want to because, as much as I like Grass, it might be stupidly hard.

I need your opinion on my team. By the way, sorry for my bad English, it is obviously not my first language :/

This was my team in 2003 :

-Swampert (HMs + Earthquake)
-Crobat (Fly)
-Golem (Strength + Rock smash + good STAB moves)
-Sableye (had nos weakness, but now has prankster)
-Hariyama (physical attacker, but I didn't like it so much)
-a slot for another pokemon, most of the time Rayquaza

For my new OR/AS team, I plan not using legendaries, as they are too overpowered. I also need a couple of pokes to widen my competitive pokemon range (if we can say that...). I plan using Altaria, which will get Fly as well as covering Drake's dragons in the E4. However, I'm a little nervous about its major ice weakness, as well as being weak to rock (a common attacking type), fairy and Dragon. Skarmory could be a good idea, as it covers many types like Fairy and rock, as it gets Fly and because it's pretty bulky. But in the end, I don't know which poke to chose as a flying type. If someone could help me, it would be very nice!

I have no idea for my starter... My first pokémon I've ever had was Mudkip. I played so much with him that I might take something else. However, I don't want to take Blaziken, because it was on my team in Emerald... And Treecko, I need to be convinced that Sceptile is a good pokémon. Right now, Mudkip would be my choice, but if someone could give me good arguments, I could change of idea...

If I take Mudkip, I need a fire type to cover my grass weakness. I was planning on using maybe Camerupt, but its stats don't impress me at all, and I have doubts on his competitive skills. Does someone have an idea on which fire type I could choose?

If I take Treecko, I will need obviously a water type pokemon, to cover my fire weakness and to use surf. I think that Wailord could be a good pokemon, as it covers my large bulkiness flaw. If I choose Torchic, I plan on using Ludicolo, which has grass and water STAB, as well as getting surf, fake out and swift swim. And he has an awsome type. But I can't use to grass types on the same team... :/

I need now a dark/ghost/psychic/fairy/poison type, because personnally, I put these types in all the same category. Dark types are good against ghost and psychic as well as being resistant to them, so Sableye could be on my team. I have that fairy coverage with Skarmory, so all I need is some ground to cover my poison weakness.

Aggron could be a good choice for ground/steel/rock moves, but since he has a similar job to Skarmory in its coverage, I might want something else. Maybe Rhyperior? But its typing is pretty bad... Armaldo? STAB rocks against ice, birds, fire, and getting Earthquake on him for the poison coverage? Its 125 base attack is pretty sweat, but its 45 in speed... :/ What could be another good choice?

The last slot is free, I would like suggestions! I think I would definitely need ice to beat Drake in the E4, or a good poke which learns ice beam with nice special attack. But I think that my team seam pretty balanced.

Thank you! :)

Would Metagross instead of Aggron would be a good idea? I cover that Fairy type, have immunity to poison and I get that zen headbutt for them.

I'm going to breed some fresh Pokemon and trade/transfer them to ORAS. Yeah, they'll be all IV bred and maybe even EV-trained, but I won't have to sweat obedience issues. So, I'm thinking ...

Mudkip - obligatory Hoenn starter
Fennekin - Fire covers Mudkip's one weakness
Bulbasaur - Grass covers Fennekin's big weakness, good utility, status moves to help captures
Sylveon - Fairy and Psychic moves covers Zorua's and Lucario's fighting weaknesses
Zorua - Dark covers Bulbasaur's Psychic weakness
Riolu/Lucario - Bullet Punch for fairies, Close Combat for lots of things, Earthquake because Earthquake.

I'm thinking now of running OR and AS at the same time. So with that my tentative thoughts are:

OR:
Blaziken
Swampert (trade)
Gardevoir
Glalie
unsure/Groudon later
Salamence

AS:
Sceptile
Sharpedo/Kyogre later
Camerupt
Gallade
Manectric
Altaria

I'm going to create a team based on May's team in the anime, however, using the Pokebank to send some over: I'll put a little competitive twist on it once i beat the game. Without further adue:
-Mega Blaziken
-Venusaur
-Beautifly
-Wartortle
-Munchlax
-Glaceon

@NoDice: I accidently did that on White. Other than my Fire-type which was Darmanitan and then Victini, all my other pokémon are reptiles (specifically: Serperior, Krookodile, Carracosta, Haxorus and Zekrom). Then I did something similar on Black, using mostly innanimate or weird pokémon (Vanilluxe, Ferrothorn, Jellicent, Klinklang).

------------

After much thought, and assuming I'll be able to buy both OR and AS (since I can't get Kyogre in OR to use on the team), I've decided to combine my old team from Emerald with the other pokémon I wanted to use, although that meant I had to leave some out.
The ones with an * were used in my Emerald team.

OR:
Sceptile
Blaziken (either a bred one or the Torchic from the XY event)*
Gallade
Milotic
Ninjask* -> Groudon (-> means it will eventually be replaced by)
Flygon* -> Rayquaza*

AS:
Swampert
Fire-type (either Houndoom or Arcanine. Houndom because I'll also use Manectric and since they're counterparts in XY, I might switch Houdoom and Blaziken between OR and AS to keep the counterpart theme. If Milotic ends up not getting a Mega evo (which seems likely), then Arcanine would be a more fair option, so I don't have a team full of Megas and another with just one pokémon that can't go Mega and save Houndoom for a later game)
Gardevoir*
Manectric*
Salamence
Tentacruel* -> Kyogre

I have two teams, one for each version.

Omega Ruby
~~~~~~~~~~
Blaziken (Yes, I know it's overused, but I couldn't resist the nostalgia and the fact that it still is a good pokemon.)
Aggron (Training will be SLOW, but worth it. Also... NOSTALGIA!)
Nidoking (Traded from one of my other games)
Gyarados
Salamance or Altaria
[OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS]

Alpha Sapphire
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sceptile
Froslass
Aggron
Gyarados
Hariyama
[OPEN FOR SUGGESTION]

If I had another team with a Swampert
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Swampert
Breloom
Camerupt
Aggron
Altaria
Froslass

Here's my final team that helped me breeze through Omega Ruby:
-Sceptile
I started the game with Treecko, as I was pumped to use his badass Mega Evolution in-game eventually. Was not disappointed. His nickname was Reptar, since I loved Rugrats as a child.
-Gardevoir
This one was a baby Ralts I traded over from my copy of X. She was well EV-trained beforehand. Her first nickname was Celestia, since I felt like having a majestic female guardian as a member of my new Hoenn team, but her name was changed to Palutena, since being majestic and having green hair made that name make sense, at least in my opinion.
-Gyarados
A crafty and fierce dragon serpent who got the job done on the physical sweeping side. His name is Skullkraken, which happens to be Gyarados' beta name in the original G1 games. Turns out to be very useful when dealing with Mossdeep City's Gym, as he now has access to Crunch to give his part Dark-Typed Mega a great physical Dark move to take advantage of consecutively.
-Metagross
A shiny and Jolly Beldum I acquired from an event as soon as I got my copy of the game. It's main purpose was to have what is essentially a free (and powerful) False Swipe user on my team. I kept it around the team block for the whole game, since Metagross would prove to be very useful in certain situations.
-Latios
The Legendary Dragon plane we all befriend for free. He actually had a great nature, much to my surprise. He has earned the nickname, Emotion Lord. He proved to be one of my team's strongest members for the whole game's story.
-Groudon
The titular mascot of Omega Ruby, and an absurdly useful Primal Legendary. It is Modest in nature, but has acceptable moves to utilise its' great Sp. Atk once it Primal Reverses. Having a deadlier upgrade of Drought in it's new form really made battling Wallace and the whole of Sootopolis Gym like a very easy walk in the park.

Back