Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Starting on January 20th in Japan, all new and existing Pokemon Tool cards will no longer be considered Item cards. They will now simply be their own “Tool” subcategory. This means a Trainer card now has four subcategories: Items (blue), Supporters (orange), Stadiums (green), and Tools (purple).

Rocky-Helmet-300x170.jpg

This means if you use Mew‘s Mysterious Tail Ability, you can’t retrieve a Tool like Rocky Helmet because it’s no longer considered an Item card. If you use Vikavolt V‘s Paralyzing Bolt (or any form of Item lock), Tool cards won’t be affected. If a card can find a Trainer card, you’d still be able to retrieve a Tool.
It’s likely the same ruling...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

machamps_fifth_hand

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly surprising. Did anyone notice turo's card number was 190/198 leaving 8 cards for full arts. Koraidon, miraidon, gyarados, arcanine, turo, sada. Or are they making full arts secret rares like Japan (doubt).

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly surprising. Did anyone notice turo's card number was 190/198 leaving 8 cards for full arts. Koraidon, miraidon, gyarados, arcanine, turo, sada. Or are they making full arts secret rares like Japan (doubt).
theres probably 2 full arts being cut for the ETBs since regular set ETBs have them now and the debut set does the twin ETB deal. my bet is the professors but could be koraidon/miraidon

Da idiot

arceus' 1000'th arm
Garbordor decks just got a huge buff in expanded

People that play retro tournaments on limitless - ptcgo will now not also have to worry about pass pass, but also no tool cards under item lock

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
Garbordor decks just got a huge buff in expanded

People that play retro tournaments on limitless - ptcgo will now not also have to worry about pass pass, but also no tool cards under item lock
And who knows, maybe Chadelure VMAX could see play in expanded for Tool Locks if Faba alone isn't enough to counter Garb.

ProfesserPopplio

Professional Air Breather
Is this change bad? Idk. Maybe if there are more item lock cards they’ll also say tools. Is there a reason why they did this?

TrumoN

Aspiring Trainer
Where can we find a list with the cards that are rotating out? Please don't make me look at every single card to check if its D or what

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
Where can we find a list with the cards that are rotating out? Please don't make me look at every single card to check if its D or what
In addition to what Bewear said, there are a few cards from Shining Fates that also remain legal, albeit they're not anything noteworthy. Woodland Stroll Celebi and Ocean Search Manaphy are the only non-filler ones, and even those aren't seeing any play.

Elliot Gale

Aspiring Trainer
Am I the only one who likes this change? I feel like this helps prevent item lock decks from being too powerful.
No, I think it's a good thing too. Tools have always been drastically different in function when compared against the rest of the Item category, and we've had more than enough effects calling out Tools specifically while ignoring everything else. It's high time this happened, though I'll admit I didn't expect or explicitly ask for this to happen at any point.

It'll just take a little getting used to.

Tvoretz

?
Energy Switch, Rare Candy, Boss's Orders, and Professor's Research have reprints with updated regulation marks, and there will probably be reprints of Switch, Potion, and Poke Ball in Scarlet and Violet. With that in mind, here's a list of all D-mark cards. Swordward and Shielbert, Gym Trainer, Quick Ball, and various Trainer Gallery cards are notable for being (re)printed in otherwise new sets without an updated regulation mark.

Last edited: