Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Garbordor decks just got a huge buff in expanded

People that play retro tournaments on limitless - ptcgo will now not also have to worry about pass pass, but also no tool cards under item lock
Assuming that PTCGO even makes it to the SV-era, which I doubt is the plan. (Though, they broke Live to the point of unplayability and can't figure out how to fix it, so it might be held back another year.)

FireLizard

A man who knows nothing about proportions.
So what about the cards that influence Tool cards?(discarding,blocking,etc)

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
It's a bit weird that they aren't going about this like they did when they changed the "basic or evolution card" wording to "Pokemon" or when item cards were introduced cards that said trainer meant items now, instead letting this nerf cards instead of just let them get the same cards they got before

Hami_moeblob

Aspiring Trainer
Oh man my excadrill deck is gonna play a lot sillier now. I don't know if I like this but let's see how it develops, in a way makes sense.

Grass-Type Farm Owner

Aspiring Trainer
Interesting change that I'd say I'm mostly in favor of. Not sure how I feel about making it retroactive rather than just saying Tool cards going forward are a separate card classification from the old Pokemon Tool subclass, but I understand this will help with the first 2 years where old Pokemon Tools will still exist. I also think they maybe could've used this opportunity to rename them to Equipment or something, but I understand that would be adding extra potential layers of confusion for new and casual players.

While on the topic of Tools, I really want to see at least 1 Tatsugiri card with an Ability that lets it be attached to Dondozo as if it were a Tool and a Metal-type Revavroom ex that can change to Fire/Psychic/Fighting/Darkness using Tool cards based on the Starmobiles.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
It's a bit weird that they aren't going about this like they did when they changed the "basic or evolution card" wording to "Pokemon" or when item cards were introduced cards that said trainer meant items now, instead letting this nerf cards instead of just let them get the same cards they got before
How would they do that in this instance?

sonicjms

Bench, Call, Ride, Summon, Cast
How would they do that in this instance?
When the "Basic or Evolution card" -> "Pokemon" change happened they just announced it.
For example this ruling was given to the supporter Celio's Network
Q. Can I use Celio's Network to search my deck for a Pokémon LV.X?
A. Yes, you can. Earlier card references of "Basic Pokémon or Evolution card" refers to Pokémon in general, which includes Pokémon LV.X. (May 10, 2007 PUI Rules Team)

So they could have ruled that earlier references to Item cards refers to Items and Pokemon Tools

axelfure

Aspiring Trainer
Man, this is BIG!! Pokestop no longer working for tools is definitely gonnna hurt. 😖⛑️

Also, I'm so happy that we finally get to kiss Marnie goodbye!!! Sayonara~ 👋😁
Haven't read Judge yet have you? 😆 Marnie was an interesting change of pace but a Judge disruption meta will just be a little different. No stacking your deck in anticipation of disruption but no getting your cards sent to the bottom of your deck with one less card for the one who played it. Disruption will always be a strong option.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
When the "Basic or Evolution card" -> "Pokemon" change happened they just announced it.
For example this ruling was given to the supporter Celio's Network

So they could have ruled that earlier references to Item cards refers to Items and Pokemon Tools
That doesn't work. One was just a wording change. What you're suggesting would make text confusing since two cards with the same text would have different effects.

I understand not wanting cards to be nerfed, but the game and rulings have to be simple. Making people look up when a card was printed to find out what its effect means is not intuitive, and would get even worse if any reprints happen.

Bewear The TERRIBLE

Rogue TCG Player
Haven't read Judge yet have you? 😆 Marnie was an interesting change of pace but a Judge disruption meta will just be a little different. No stacking your deck in anticipation of disruption but no getting your cards sent to the bottom of your deck with one less card for the one who played it. Disruption will always be a strong option.
Judge is not gonna help if opponent gets a bad start. They would need a strong draw engine since it only draws them 4 (virtually unplayable on 1st few turns in the meta) 1st turn Marnie has always been ridiculous. It made so many players concede turn 2 right after playing that garbage card. If you actually played the game, you would know lol. 😆

axelfure

Aspiring Trainer
Judge is not gonna help if opponent gets a bad start. They would need a strong draw engine since it only draws them 4 (virtually unplayable on 1st few turns in the meta) 1st turn Marnie has always been ridiculous. It made so many players concede turn 2 right after playing that garbage card. If you actually played the game, you would know lol. 😆
True, was just joking around though. I think we'll just see a rise in Roxy counts to just hammer late-game disruption.

PS I do play sometimes. Not as regularly as I used to but a couple of days a week.

SenorChinocano

Aspiring Trainer
You guys want your minds blown? Consider this, the "silver lining" of it all. If this is the new normal, they will never, ever print yellow border cards ever again... Think about it, really think about it.