Finished Mafia LIX: Make-a-Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celever

Wheeeee~
Mafia LIX

Welcome to Mafia LVIX! If you are unfamiliar with forum mafia, please see our master document and new player guide here.

This game will be different to previous mafia games on this site in two ways. First, it is a semi-open game. This means that players will have a good idea of what roles could be in the game going into it. Secondly, I'm not making all of the roles. In your signup post, you may include a role yourself. This can be of any character, and be any role. However, for balance reasons, I won't be including every role, and will be making some of them myself. If you want your role to be included, make it interesting and dynamic to play, but low-powered enough to not be swingy (having the potential to decide games by itself).

Activity
If you're inactive you will be modkilled. This is up to my discretion, and modkills will be distributed indiscriminately. If you're a player who has a history of ditching games, you're not playing this time unless we simply don't have enough players. This is also up to my discretion. Ditching games ruins it for everyone else -- especially the host -- and is why we no longer have members willing to host games. Don't do it.

Day phases will be 96 hours (4 days) and night phases will be 24 hours (1 day). If you can't check the forums daily, don't sign up to this game. Missing one night action is acceptable if you have otherwise been active during the day. If you have contributed insufficiently during the day and miss your night action, you will be modkilled. Missing two night actions results in a modkill. Members of the mafia faction will not be able to submit a kill or action for another member of the faction; all actions must be submitted by the player performing said action. However, if a mafia player is modkilled, then that player's active abilities will be able to be used by any other mafian. This is not the case for a mafian killed by orthodox means.

If you're going away for a few days or won't have access to the internet for a period, exceptions will of course be made. As long as you communicate well with the host (me) you're fine and we can find a workaround.

I apologise for the negative energy in this section of the OP, but as far as I'm concerned not including a section like this would be naive going into a game on this site. Our games are decided by activity kills hitting a strong role too often and it's why we now don't have enough active players signing up to games, and a complete drought of members wanting to host them. Dropping out of a game is the equivalent of kicking the host's dog. It hurts and leaves the host wondering where their life went wrong.

Mechanic Clarification
This isn't an orthodox Make-a-Mafia for one reason: this site's meta isn't used to no-claim games. They've been trialled before and have always failed. This means that, since role claims are allowed, mafia would be at a huge disadvantage, as they wouldn't have safe claims due to the open setup and would be forced to counterclaim players. This site's meta also isn't prepared for that kind of game. For that reason, only some roles posted during signups will be included in the setup, and the rest will be made by me. I have no roles created yet but I can design a balanced game quickly -- particularly because this game will have no-to-minimal flavour --, and will use your guys' roles as the core of the setup. Importantly, a role rejected in signups can still make it into the game as a safeclaim for mafians. Roles created may be passive only, active only, or a mixture of both. You can include as many abilities as you want of either active or passive status, but if the role is broken it won't be included. I reserve the right to modify a role as I see fit for the purpose of game balance, which includes removing or adding roles, or changing the current roles slightly to add or remove power.

How to sign up
With a role.
Template:
Your name is [insert character name here].

[Flavour bio for character]

[Ability 1 name (passives go first)]
[Ability 1 description and effect]

[Ability 2 name (actives follow passives)]
[Ability 2 description and effect]

For posterity, here is a role from my previous game on this site.
You are Art.

Art is a pretty essential part of life. When people think of art, they just think of a canvas with some pretty colours, somewhat reminiscent of a reasonably nice scene. Art is in reality a subjective application of human creativity with a long history within our species.

Passive: B
It’s humourously appropriate that you are trying to take up all of my revision time, because as a subject you are renowned for having super long coursework with loads of homework involved, which legit does waste students’ revision time! If I weren’t so terribad at art I may have been plagued with this coursework, but even though I don’t even take the class you’re somehow making me less productive! As a B, you may discuss happenings with your fellow scum members in the QuickTopic linked in the next post in the Role PM.

Active: Artistic Means
You’d do anything to get that perfect piece of artwork and make millions! And by anything I mean uh… anything. When you nightkill a target, you may also send Celever a message, picture, video, or any other form of media. In the next day update, your media will be displayed instead of the role flip. However, you will only leave enough whitespace within your art to read a single, randomly chosen paragraph of the victim’s true Role PM, which will be sent to the scum QuickTopic.

Passive: A-Squad
There are only two subjects in this game which begin with the letter A: you, and Algebra. For the sake of balance I wanted to give you a role where you can’t be lynched while another player is alive, and Algebra gets to be that player thanks to poor and convoluted connections!

Active: Graffiti
They say a painting contains a thousand words. In this case, you’re just gonna kinda draw over all the words, so it’s sorta true?? Once per game at night, please PM Celever “Scribble over blackboard”, and if you’d like, include an image with your ability usage. The blackboard will be wiped and no information will be garnered from it for the next cycle, and if you send in an image, that image will be copy/pasted onto the blackboard instead.

Active: Masquerade
Art is also good at concealing that which needs to be hidden. In this case, you want to hide all of your scumbuddies’ roles! At night, please PM Celever “Dress [user1] and [user2] up in a costume”. During that night, if user1 and user2 are anti-town, any investigative roles will act in accordance with their safeclaim as opposed to their real claim. Once a member of the mafia faction dies, you will only be able to target one use per night.

Active: Tourism
If art is good for anything it’s being overhyped. One decent piece of artwork and the world goes cray, paying millions for human-perceived ownership of a bit of cloth or rock. As such, people tend to listen to what you have to say. At night, including night 0, please PM Celever “Display art with the following message: [message1]”. message1 may be as long as you’d like, and include any forms of media. It will be displayed in the following day update.

Active: Propaganda
When art isn’t being sold for millions it’s being used to influence the impressionable minds of humanity, forcing their subconscious into acting a certain way and into giving people who know no better opinions which they will later regret. Kinda heartless, but anything to make me fail my exams! At night, please PM Celever “put up posters around [user1]’s dorm room, making them talk like [speech-restriction-1]. During the following day phase, user1 must use speech-restriction-1 in their posts, or their vote weight will revert to 0. If I deem your speech restriction to be too convoluted or unfair, however, I will reject your action. You may ask me question about what is allowed and what isn’t, since this is somewhat vague.

Win Condition: Eliminate all players who want Celever to achieve something in life.
This is a wild, long, but balanced role. You can either take it as far as this or remain safer. The blackboard was a mechanic in my previous game that isn't returning this time (and was generally a flop but a cool idea) so ignore it in this role.

Banned Roles
1. Town Inno Child
(an active ability where a player can have their own alignment confirmed by the host while still alive)
2. Cop (Can target a player each night and receive their alignment from the host. If fitting for game balance, I'd like to reserve the cop role for myself, as I would have free reign over how to nerf it. All other investigative roles are valid)
3. Anything else broken (If a role is far too powerful or weak I will ask you to make a new one. If it's borderline balanced or would be balanced depending on setup but this time round happens not to be, I'll slightly modify it. The former course will be public and the latter won't be, so don't think that every role posted in-thread is the final draft)

Players
1. scattered mind
2. Dusk Form Lycanroc
3. TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK
4. Ephemera
5. GM DracLord
6. NinjaPenguin
7. TheAquaPiplup
8. Vom
9. Zone Q11

Hopefully we get more than 8 players, but this is the minimum player count for the game to run. There is no maximum.

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
You are Don Tillman and you are aligned with *insert faction here*
You are a professor of genetics and a very calculated person with rather lacking social skills. After your recent project to find a suitable wife according to an over complicated self made questionnaire you encountered Rosie- the one woman with all the wrong characteristics. Yet you fell in love with her (which due to your lack of understanding emotions took you long enough to realize). You are now accused for a crime you didn’t commit (not for the first time) and have to protect your name by finding the real killer. Thus, project Mafia commences!

Passive Ability : Movies can’t make you cry
People tend to assume your autism means you don’t have emotions. Unfortunately, the fact you just can’t cry from any movie doesn’t help this false assumption. Every time a player dies, your inability to release yourself from the awareness that this is just a game makes you quite invincible compared to others. If a player is killed , no players can target you during that night.

Active Ability: Overthinking
You tend to over analyze everything. Because of that, once per night you may target 2 players. You will deduce that one of them has targeted the other or that one of them was targeted by the other, but the results will come after either of the two is dead. (You can’t use this ability if you already targeted 2 players and neither has died).

Win Condition: insert here

Hope it’s ok.

Dusk Form Lycanroc

Champion of Alola
You are (Dusk Form) Lycanroc and you are aligned with *Insert faction here*
You are normally a very clam and collected Pokemon that is generally just plain awesome but, just like everyone, you have your wild side....

Passive Ability: Red Eyes
Like said before, you have your wild side.. At the end of the day phase, if you were voted (Final votes) by at least two players, you may choose one of them, that player will not be able to use any ability's for two day and night phases.

Active Ability: Rock Storm
Once per night you may you may activate this ability, the host will flip a coin; if heads the host will choose a random player, that player will not be able to vote during the following day phase.

Win Condition: insert here

i just couldn't help myself :)

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
You are Captain Anna Gunthrag and you are aligned with *Insert faction here*

Although it has been years since you gave up your role in the military, you are still as stern as ever when your neighbors don't use your title of "Captain" when referring to you. You are living upset that nobody sees you as a war hero, if only they knew the horrors you went through with your partner Pokémon, Clawitzer. Then, they would surely respect you. Alas, you are just an old woman with crazy stories to tell, the "Village Crazy Lady" if you will.

Passive Ability: Fallen Soldiers
As a war veteran, you gained deep respect for those that fell by your side in battle. You will be able to communicate with the dead players in a QuickTopic or Discord server, whichever works best.

Active Ability: Battlefield Aid
Once per night phase, you may target a player. That player will not be able to die during that phase. You may not target yourself as well as the same player two nights in a row.

Win Condition: *Insert Here*

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
@Celever When do you reckon the game will start, and how long will the game run for? Seeing if this will fit into my schedule :<

Celever

Wheeeee~
@Celever When do you reckon the game will start, and how long will the game run for? Seeing if this will fit into my schedule :<
Oh right, probably a good idea.

Signups will close on 1st September 8AM BST (GMT+1)

After that game length depends on how many signups we get. Assuming we only get 8 players the game shouldn't last long at all (3 weeks at most) but obviously the more players we get the longer the game will be, and some roles have the potential to add phases to a game's length. But since the game's using 5-day cycles and the player list will likely be quite small, it should only really be a commitment for the duration of September at maximum.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Ta! Late September in particular might actually work for me, have to give it a think.

I'd hazard a guess and say you'd hardly get a reasonable number of sign ups by the end of this week though :/

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Ta! Late September in particular might actually work for me, have to give it a think.

I'd hazard a guess and say you'd hardly get a reasonable number of sign ups by the end of this week though :/

In my game my solution was the good old “tag and beg”. :p

Ephemera

just a little longer...
Hopefully this isn't too complicated; the abilities and timing can be changed as the host sees fit.
I just wanted to make an amnesiac-like role without the chaotic element of choosing any dead player.
/in

Your name is... hmmmm. You're actually not sure what your name is. In fact, you're not quite sure who you are!

Trying to clear the fog in your mind, you can slightly remember that you are aligned with *faction,* but you can't quite remember anything else about yourself.
Your likes, your dislikes, your skills, nothing. Still, it feels like your missing memories are lurking just out of reach.
If you focus for a day or two, you might just remember what you really can do...

Passive: Clouded Memory
Straining to remember who you are, you feel like you're making progress. Each night after Night 1, you will remember a part of your old identity, thus unlocking an active skill.
Be warned: your memories may not be pleasant, and may change you. Each unlocked active skill will replace the previous one.

Active: Confusion
Being an amnesiac, you're understandably confused. Why not share that confusion with others? On Night 1, you may choose another player. In their confusion, that player will forget who they were targeting with their night action, and target a random person.

Active: Botany (unlocked Night 2) - replaces Confusion
The fog clears a little: you remember working in a garden. It seemed peaceful. Still, you wonder what could have happened to make you lose your memories there.
With your remembered botanical expertise, on Night 2 you can choose to send another player an herb, which will cause their vote weight to double the next day.

Active: Medicinal Potion (unlocked Night 3) - replaces Botany
The emptiness in your memory is half gone: you remember that you used to make potions and medicine. It was a noble cause, one you hope to continue doing.
On Night 3, you can choose to send a player a healing potion, which will protect them from the nightkill.

Active: Failed Experiment (unlocked Night 4) - replaces Medicinal Potion
You remember everything:
You are Agatha, the local apothecary.
You used to grow your herbs and brew your potions in peace, distributing them to your friends and neighbors, until one of your experiments blew up, leaving you burned and addled. Still, an experiment is an experiment, and it just so happens that you remember how you made that explosive potion in the first place.
One night during the game, you can choose to send that explosive potion to another player, where the potion will promptly explode.
By the light of the explosion, you will find out who that player visited on that night.

Passive: Total Recall (unlocked Night 4)
With your memories finally complete, you no longer need to strain to remember. Your active skill will no longer be replaced each night.

Win condition: *factional win condition*

This role isn't really suited for mafia alignment, though. More town/indie. Still, it could be adjusted to be mafian.
Honestly, I'm not too happy with the flavor text, as well as the night 2 and night 4 ability. Also, not sure if this role is well-done; I've never made roles before.
Also, I think the night 4 ability is a bit too underwhelming for a night 4 ability, and the game may not even reach that night, so the ability could be changed.
Hope this is interesting and playable!

Celever

Wheeeee~
Since we only have 4 signups, they'll be extended until we get 8 players. Once we get 8 players, the game will begin. Tell your friends!

Also these are cool roles everyone's come up with. I'll probably give my thoughts on them more in detail after the game since it'd be bastard hosting to compliment specifics before the game even starts, so just take an perennial good job for now :p

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
You are LORD DREAD and is aligned with *insert here*

You hailed from a long line of ruler, and not the kind variation. Being a master manipulator, any suggestion that you made are thoughtlessly followed. As wicked as someone can be, you could charm anyone to do yout bidding. Anyone that fallen to your schemes wouldn't feel as the were forced to do anything. They will voluntarily do it as it is what the desire in the first place.

[PASSIVE] MASTER CHARMER
You word whole much persuasion, even if they people might not see it. The first player that voted for you each day will have their vote changed to the person that you voted for.

[ACTIVE] MIND MANIPULATOR
Suggestion are your forte, any person that you instruct would blindlessly follow your bidding. Each night, you may choose 2 players. During that night, the choosen players would use their active ability on each other.

Win Condition: *Insert Here*

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Sure I'll /in I guess:
Your name is Janelle and you are aligned with [faction].

The best anime waifu of all time, you gained notoriety through your three appearances on Big Brother as a masterful manipulator of men and competition beast, which twice allowed you to become one of the Final 3 players standing. It's been years since you last played so you may be slightly out of practice, but a social game of trust and deception (and fighting) seems right up your alley.

Active Ability: Crafty Manipulation
You're always confident that you can convince anybody to do exactly what you want, even if that means giving up their own aspirations in favor of yours. There's only one small issue: those who you haven't bothered to manipulate have a nasty tendency to turn against your friends. Once per night, you may target a player. You will protect that player from all killing actions done to them that night, but they will in turn be unable to use any actions (including the nightkill) that night and will not be able to be protected (including by abilities other than yours) on all subsequent nights for the rest of the game.

Win Condition:

Nick Tornell

Haha, art go brrrr
Me looking at these rolls sees a (sort of) theme. The theme so far seems to be mental issues with autism, adhd (maybe for lycanroc), ptsd, amnesia, and manipulative mindset (x2) in that order. Fun times I must say

TheAquaPiplup

Aspiring Trainer
/in
Your name is Megan Bonnett and you are aligned with *insert faction here*

You are internet funny man gone mad from trauma after multiple attempts on your life were taken now you think that everyone you see is after you.

Passive Ability:Lunacy
All the players who voted for you will have all their abilities shut off.

Active Ability:Remote Influence
You can use this ability once per night. A number 1-9 is randomly selected 1-7 being players and 8-9 being failure. Whatever person it lands on must say whatever the user wants them to.

Active Ability:Shadowy Obstruction
On a coin flip if its heads you can go into your bunker and hide. This renders you unkillable

Win Condition: *insert here*
I think this may be a bit too overpowered

Celever

Wheeeee~
I think this may be a bit too overpowered
Unfortunately you're correct, it is gamebreakingly overpowered I'm afraid. I can take that role and modify it heavily, or you can redraft it before the game starts. Don't forget we have past games and therefore past roles on this site for you to be able to take inspiration from!

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I was on the fence but NP bugged me so here you go:

You are Dimitri, Crown Prince of the Holy Kingdom of Faerghus. You are a gentle man, but a ferocious warrior: you believe that strength is necessary in this world, but that it shouldn't be so. You also think that everyone has some darkness, "something unacceptable" within...but are still torn as to whether it should be cut away or accepted anyway.

Passive: Crest of Blaiddyd
As a descendant of one of the legendary warriors, you bear a crest, and with it, its boons and burdens. Each Night, you may choose to use one Ability twice. If you do, you cannot use that Ability on the following Night. You cannot use this Ability two Nights in a row, and you cannot use both Active Abilities in the same Night.

Active: King Boar
King Boar is the nickname one of your childhood friends gave you, since he seems to think the only way you know how to approach a situation is a frontal attack. Despite your personal feelings about it, you have to admit...it's not quite far from the truth. Once during each Night, you may target a player. You will ride alongside them ensuring they reach their target, blocking any other non-lethal actions performed on them. In doing so, you will also be able to see who they acted on, but not what actions they performed.

Active: Darkness Rises
Despite your kind nature, you have always been on the brink of breaking down since your family died. Any more loss would be...unbearable. Once during each Night, if a town-aligned player was lynched during the previous Day, you may target a player that voted for them. Consumed by rage, you will go to them and force them to tell you what actions they performed during the previous Night (but not who they acted on). The wounds you inflict on them will be so terrible that they will have to spend the Night recovering, unable to perform any actions.

Win Condition:

Zone Q11

『Plebeian』『He who Hails from NovelUpdates Forum』
I will join, but first! @Celever! 59 in Latin is not LVIX, but rather LIX! Change that title and OP please!

/in

You are Zone Q11, a [alignment] Vengeful.

Introduced indirectly by NinjaPenguin, you have joined this game on behalf of yourself. Despite being known for your infamous idiotic paranoid gameplays, your intent to win the game is stronger than whatever anyone says!

Passive: Tunneling
At the end of each Day Phase, you will gain 1 Tunneling Point if you voted for one player and did not change that vote at all.

Passive: Grudges are Real
For each 2 Tunneling Points, you may kill 1 player after your death.

Active: Why did I tunnel you again?
On Night Phase, you may choose to obtain 1 Tunneling Point by completely removing your Tunneling Passive Ability.

Celever

Wheeeee~
And with that we've hit 9 players! Buuuuuut

Signups will be extended until Friday 6th at 5PM BST

This is because tomorrow is my first day back at college, and I'd be lying if I said I would get any game design done after school on Wednesday or Thursday, so closing signups before then would be arbitrary and would only prevent more signups. The game should begin on Sunday night, but may roll over onto Monday night if 2 days isn't quite long enough. If anyone has expressed interest in the game but is still yet to sign up make sure they get it done by then! This is also the deadline for new roles to be posted if the first role was rejected, but I'm also still fine modifying any roles in question, and you won't be barred from signing up without a balanced role.

The bigger the game the more fun it is, so keep nagging people to play :p

Last edited:

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It's a sad day indeed when 9 signups is something to cheer.

I was considering signing up but I saw Vom is using a character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses and I don't want anything potentially spoiled in his role since I haven't beaten the game yet. @Vom if you can confirm there are no story spoilers in your role (or at least none up to the point where you investigate Remire Village and battle Solon) then I'll reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.